me

Economy Stronger Than Others in Africa, UN-Backed Meeting Says

me   

Economy Stronger Than Others in Africa, UN-Backed Meeting Says

UN News Service (New York)

NEWS

29 January 2008

Posted to the web 29 January 2008

Despite 17 years of crisis in Somalia, the economy there is stronger than that of many countries in Africa in terms of gross domestic product and imports and exports, participants at a United Nations-backed meeting held in Dubai said today.

In a final declaration adopted at the end of the meeting organized by the UN Political Office for Somalia (UNPOS), business people from Africa and the Middle East, personalities from Europe and the United States and members of the Somali business community acknowledged economic stagnation in the country, which has not had a functioning government since the fall of Siad Barre's regime in 1991 and where fighting has intensified in recent months.

But they said Somalia's economy could be boosted through livestock and livestock products, agriculture, money transfer, telecommunications, infrastructure, oil and gas, mining, transport and even tourism, according to a news release from UNPOS.

The non-Somali participants "expressed their readiness to consider ways and means to encourage the Somalis to follow a 'critical path' that will lead to the stability necessary for political, economic and social development," the Office said.

The meeting requested UNPOS to impress upon the parties in Somalia to put the interests of the country before other interests, and work towards the return of peace and security.

Chimera   

Somalia for centuries was feeding itself and the Middle East. In fact in the 60s/70s and early 80s Somalia was one of the few African countries that was self sufficient and capable of flooding food into regions suffering from drought. Then donor countries began giving aid to the late dictator in the form of ''food''(a scheme many African countries have suffered from) and this increased with each year which eventually killed the lively Somali agricultural industry

when the government collapsed and famine hit us there wasn't a strong farming society in place that could prevent it from escalating and consequently all of our harvests failed miserably this accompanied by instability is chaos. So these donor countries are as much responsible for our people's famine as the dictatorship and the rebels that followed it are.

Livestock

Somaliland and Puntland have both signed deals last year with Gulf states that will see the export of 12 million heads of livestock from Somalia which will bring in 1 or 2 billion $ a year. Shifting to markets like China and India should be a priority cause this will allow Somali traders to continue their business even when other markets impose a ban

Telecommunications

Though struggling with a crumbling infrastructure this industry is more advanced and connected than it's counterparts in most of the African continent. Somali construction companies should organize community fund raising events both at home and the diaspora which will see the construction of important projects that will benefit all communities

Oil Basins

If this is handled well and no sneaky backdoor stuff, it will boost the economy into space. These potential lucrative areas should be protected by the locals untill they are sure they will benefit from it.

Agriculture

As i said before this industry is the most important cause it has the capability of feeding the whole of East Africa and the middle east if there is investment and no interference of foreign companies/NGO's seeking to flood the markets with free stuff

Transport

Kenyan and Djibouti ports only saw new life when the Somali ports closed. Before the civil war the merchant marine fleet of Somalia according to one economist journal was the largest in the Muslim world. China,Vietnam and several other countries that had difficulties shipping their products because of sanctions were shipping under the Somali flag for years. We have a giant coast line therefore taking back our medieval and pre-civil war status as the natural transition point between Africa and the Middle East/Asia is a must.

The most beautiful thing of the Somali economy is the fact it's all 'Somali owned' therefore when stability returns there will be a strong foundation in place Insha-allah

Chimera   

^Stability is all we need

btw there alot of xaasids out there seeking to sabotage and destroy anything good in Somalia which is why articles like this one or stories about patriotic men and women keeping the country afloat are dangerous because they become a target

Chimera   

Mogadishu City

366587792_49de87300a_m.jpg

muqdisho%5B1%5D.jpg

343839%3A723232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2347%3D%3A

bb13.jpg

mu_campus.gifMogadishu University

bbb5e6ac900bd2699615f11cf5454f01.jpgBakaraa Market

77348b8890502865a01c429e14951dc9.jpg

(I wonder how much of this has been destroyed in the past year, just thinking about it makes my blood boil)

Chimera   

prove it! There are at least two links of the picture with the names Bosaso or Puntland while i can't find one single instance of this picture under the name ''Djibouti', 'Djibouti Port' or ''Doraleh Port'' so the burden of proof is on your turf sxb

Chimera   

^

Originally posted by J.a.c.a.y.l.b.a.r.o:

Djibouti baa
hadhay

= Xadhay = Stolen?( or is that sp with a 't'? still wouldn't make sense - ''Djibouti stole it'' ) :D

if i misunderstood your previous post,i apologize sxb!