Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Somali Women-E Q U A L I N H E R I T A N C E

Originally posted by Zafir:

Duceysane, The Shiekhs after Siyaad Bare era and all tainted Shiekhs. Hence, the no qoryays.

Faarax Brawn, The Shiekh Hersi's were brothers sire.

Oh,ilaah unaxaristo.

UZTAAD   

it was the biggest mistake mr barre made he killed people for fun but the price of killing innocent people was paid by somali people.

we are suffuring daday because of the mistakes of siyad barre and co. he shouldn't have overthrown the civilian government in first place.

Raamsade   

Originally posted by *Ibtisam:

By the way an atheist cannot really comment on what the shikes stood for, because you really will never get where they are coming from,

What an astonishingly bigoted thing to say. Why can't a Somali Atheist comment on Somali history particularly one pertaining to shiikhs and understand what they stood for? Are Somali Atheists inferior beings? What inherent deficiencies prevent them from understanding Shiikhs?

I know the ultimate source of this bigotry but I like to hear your reasoning.

Originally posted by *Ibtisam:

hence why you think them following Islamic laws is bigotry and misogyny.

You'd be surprised at how much bigotry, misogyny and other discriminatory attitudes were defended on religious grounds in the past and continues to this day.

During the 19th century at the height of the abolitionist movement, there were many Christians justifying slavery on the authority of the Bible while their Muslim counterparts were busy trading black slaves on the authority of the Quran. A little later during the Women's suffrage movement many in the West objected on the grounds that giving women the right to vote would lead to the breakdown of the family and whole hosts of other calamities.

If history teaches us anything, there's always people justifying inequality and injustice on religious grounds. And just like their predecessors were defeated and discredited, so will those who currently defend bigotry and misogyny on religious basis.

N.O.R.F   

^On top of that, how do those in approval of Siyaad's actions see inheritance laws in Islam?

I doubt we will get any reasoning.

Paragon   

Let's get off the bloody high horse for once and BE practical, especially with regards to the state of Somali women's condition THEN and now.

If we are not retarded beyond return, it is awfully too obvious to discern that Somali women (regardless of what religion says or doesn't say about their plight), have had their unfair share of life under destitution. Now, a leader who had no concern about religion (or those who peddle religion with their ego) has tried (possibly for ideological reasons) to better equip these family builders to their deserved share of family maintenance inheritance. In fact, if it were my call, I would've given the whole lot to the women in Somalia then and today, and add to that, give them the power to ration it to all irresponsible absentee/warring fathers. My reason for doing that? Purely on the grounds of the human security that is essential to the continuation of what we love to call Somaliness (without even having a faint idea what it is practically).

Now, after even 20 or so years of actually knowing the role of these women in Somali families, some folks dare come here and bring up the silly excuse of doctrinal religious rulings.

Heck, who the hell is going to worship Allah or follow the religion when the basic component that allows such adherence to religion is totally dismantled? Think, people. And if you've lost the power to think and reason, then read the history of Islam when such existential decisions to safeguard the maslaxa of the ummah have been made, while doctrines are temporarilly put to a side.

You don't just jump. That's what these executed so-called 'sheikhs' did, and others are still doing just that. Think before you do that.

Blessed   

^Interesting. Can you cite the incidents in the history of Islam where khalifs changed / dropped the sharia for the purpose of maslaxa?

Heck, who the hell is going to worship Allah or follow the religion when the basic component that allows such adherence to religion is totally dismantled?

:confused: How you mean?