Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Somali Women-E Q U A L I N H E R I T A N C E

Introduction

Roobdoon Forum

August 11, 2009

The Year 1975 looms large in the annals of Somali history. It was also the year the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed as International Women’s Year. The special objective of International Women’s Year was to promote equality between men and women. What better year than 1975, where inheritance rights for Somali women were given international recognition and visibility. On January 11, 1975, Somali President, Siyaad Barre, announced a decree for women (Xeerka Qoyska), giving Somali women equal inheritance right. [1]

As it happened, the new decree, which had a clause safeguarding women’s inheritance right, met a strong opposition at its early stage. Many men denounced the new law on religious grounds. Encouraged by some religious men, many young men organized protests on Friday sermons. In these sermons, they criticized the new law; and regard the observance of equal inheritance right as a step toward atheism. These religious men, lay or sheikh, attacked the new law and assaulted the morality and the goals of the Revolution, assailing in particular the President for ignoring his faith and denying the Islamic values of woman, family, and motherhood. They said justice and equality is one of the pillars of Islam and it helps eliminating all forms of inequality. They spoke about the importance of family in Muslim society.

On the other hand, in an interview he gave to an Egyptian Magazine, ROSE AL-YUSUF (below), the President made a reference to foreign involvement in Somali affairs. He said that these foreign agents make use of religion to create riots and unrest in the country.

The President declared that those who question Xeerka Qoyska must know that they are law breakers, despite their use of the slogan “Allahu Akbar”. He said the new family law (Xeerka Qoyska) was the culmination of long struggle for equal inheritance right. The President also underlined that “Somali woman was a major pillar in our old and contemporary struggle. Without her, it was impossible for Somalia to become free.”

In short, the government viewed this protest against equal rights decree for women as an act that incites subversion of State power and causes national disunity.

On January 23, 1975, ten sheikhs were executed in Mogadishu by a firing squad. Their crime was speaking and involving in religious protests against the new family law. The ten men were:

1. Ali Hassan Warsame

2. Ali Jama Hersi

3. Adan Ali Hersi

4. Sheikh Ahmed Iman

5. Sheikh Ahmed Sheikh Mohamed

6. Hasan Issa Iley

7. Mohamed Siyaad Hersi

8. Sheikh Muse Yusuf

9. Saleeban Jama Mohamed

10. Yasin Elmi Awl

Here, Roobdoon Forum forwards to its readership an incredible interview with Siyaad Barre, as a part of Zooming into the Past series. After reading it, some will have the impression that the President had few commendable human attitudes; but others may find Siyaad’s statements as nothing but offensive words.

EGYPTIAN MAGAZINE INTERVIEWS PRESIDENT BARRE

Question: Was this the point when the campaign in the name of religion began?

The exploitation of religion has now become Imperialism's first, last and most important weapon. Reactionaries and imperialists have now become the protectors and guards of religion against its enemies. Imagine who are these “enemies?” They are those who seek to rid the peoples of injustice – banned by God – and to eliminate people’s persecution and repression, which religion came to alleviate.

At the beginning, we thought that it was a reactionary outburst which would eventually end. However, we were surprised by a coordinated, loud, noisy and very violent orchestra playing uninterruptedly against us. I, one, who has lived as a faithful Muslim and will die so, became an atheist according to them. They threatened to murder me. Somalia, which has been, throughout its entire history, Islam’s fortress and shield in East Africa, from where Islam was introduced and spread in Africa, became according to them, a communist and debased state.

Question: Can I ask, then, why the clash took place with the men of religion regarding the civil status law? And what led to executing 10 of them?

President Barre became excited and said immediately:

These were not ulemas or men of religion. They were not executed because they were so or because of the civil status law. During the trial, we found out that eight of them could not read or write. We asked one of them to recite one verse of the Qur'an, but he could not. We asked one of them to perform ablutions, and he began by washing his left foot. One of them was not a Somali, etc.

biyokulule

These men are shahiids and should be remembered as such. The best of jihad is "a rightous word in the presence of arrogant ruler" and that is exactly what they did.

humble, how were they ignorant. What they said was that inheritance should be based on islamic law in an islamic country. Can you tell me what is wrong with that?

Paragon   

^They jumped before hearing the end of the sentence. Like all kid-minded vessels. Like firework triggered.

Or like a bottle of coke opened.

humble, I thought you had a position on this but I am realizing that you have no idea what you're talking about. Please read the article fully and study the event before commenting.

MZanzi   

^nabadoon Do some resreach and find out the facts. You seem briliant but you are short sighted in the way you analyzed the situation.

Paragon   

Originally posted by Nabaddoon:

humble, I thought you had a position on this but I am realizing that you have no idea what you're talking about. Please read the article fully and study the event before commenting.

Silly. You do the reading again. This time think. Perhaps reason too.

humble - saxiib, it's ramadan the name calling won't hurt me but do spare your fasting. my appologies if you were offended. I asked you a question and you responded with some repetitive phrases. I expected more.

Fu-Fu, I didn't give a full analysis of the situation. I just stated my opinion of these honorable men who stood up for what they believed in.