Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

No one wants [you] here

Somalis, Emporia residents struggle with cultural differences

MARGARET STAFFORD

EMPORIA, Kansas -- When Somali refugee Mohammed Osman moved to this small town in the eastern Flint Hills, all he wanted was a job.

What he didn't count on were the stares, anger and resentment that greeted him and hundreds of other black, Muslim Somalis who changed the complexion of this mostly white, Christian town when they began arriving in early 2006.

"It is OK - nice people, nice job," Osman said. "Some people living here in Emporia, they don't like Somali people, some people say racist things, 'We don't want black people coming.' They have that, but we don't worry about that. We keep going."

Most of the refugees fled war-weary Somalia in the 1990s and spent years in Kenya before coming to the U.S. under a federal program that allows resettlement of people fearing persecution or death in their native countries.

They generally settled in larger metropolitan areas first, then moved to Emporia after word of jobs at the Tyson Fresh Foods plant spread.

They moved into a town of about 26,000 anchored by Emporia State University and Tyson, by far the largest employer with 2,500 workers. The city is the hub of east-central Kansas and, while mostly white, it also has a vibrant Hispanic population and international students attending the university.

Many locals responded with kindness to the refugees - many of whom don't speak English - and organized efforts to bridge the gap between the two cultures.

But others had starkly different responses, suggesting the Somalis' arrival had brought more crime and disease or complaining about the refugees' unusual habits and attitudes.

A blog on The Emporia Gazette's Web site is filled with anonymous posts such as this:

"
The town is going downhill. The Somalis are rude, inconsiderate and ungrateful. They drive terrible, and I'm afraid more than ever to be on the streets of Emporia. No one wants them here
."

Others aim their anger at city officials or Tyson, while some complain about social services for the refugees or criticize the federal government's handling of refugee resettlements.

In response to the complaints, the city organized a town hall meeting in November, where about 300 residents filled an auditorium to vent and question officials involved in the assimilation efforts.

The meeting seemed to calm some of the uproar, but all those involved say more will need to be done to unify the town's population.

As part of that effort, some concerned citizens formed the Emporia Refugee Resettlement Alliance, a loose-knit, unfunded group that meets occasionally to discuss the issues. A potluck dinner that drew Hispanics and Somalis was held, and a woman hired as a community liaison by Tyson has met with many groups to explain the culture.

One refugee, Abukar Ibrahim, said "99 percent" of Emporia residents have been welcoming and helpful. But it's still hurtful, he says, to hear or read comments that Somalis are unclean, rude or lazy.

"Just all they see, 'This is a black; this is a Somali.' They have never seen us before," Ibrahim said. "Maybe that is what's making this problem. But I hope this thing will change and people will understand us, where we came from, who we are, why we are here, all of that."

Most Somalis in Emporia are young and unmarried, and estimates of their numbers have ranged from 400 to a high of about 1,000. As of mid-December, Tyson officials said about 400 of its 2,500 employees in Emporia were Somalian.

When they arrive, the refugees struggle with such things as medical visits, learning to drive, dealing with landlords and even communicating with barbers. Others are taking adult education classes or English courses. Those who speak English, such as Ibrahim and Osman, spend much of their free time helping other refugees with those things.

Osman, 35, was interviewed at the Flint Hills Community Health Center on the day he finished a nine-month regimen of medication for latent tuberculosis, which made him part of the most contentious issue surrounding the refugees.

When the center saw a spike in latent tuberculosis cases, rumors flew that the refugees were sick and a danger to others' health. The center and Tyson worked to spread the word that latent TB, which is typical among refugee populations, is not transmitted through casual contact and can be treated with medication.

Before the Somalis arrived, the center treated an average of 30 to 35 latent cases. Currently, it's treating 130 patients with the disease, 75 percent of them Somalians.

The center hired an interpreter and dedicated a nurse to work with the refugee population. Lougene Marsh, executive director of the center, said the center had treated about 675 new Somali patients from 2006 through mid-November 2007 - about 4.87 percent of its patient load.

She also noted that Somalis who use the center have insurance through Tyson, so no social service is picking up the tab.

But the TB rumors have hurt business at the Ayan Cafe, a Somali eatery and gathering spot for refugees, many of whom live in a large apartment complex across the street.

Mohammed Jama, a part owner of the cafe, said Emporia residents have stopped coming there because of the TB rumors.

"Since this news come out saying Somali people are sick, my business went low," Jama said. "We request them to stop this thing they are spreading. We are a clean people. Let them come and meet us. Come and find the truth before you say something else."

Stephen Weitkamp, director of refugee and migrant services for Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas, said his group is using a $109,000 grant to assess the size and needs of the Somali population.

He said the goal is to help further assimilation, but he does not expect Emporia to become a major refugee resettlement site because it does not offer enough jobs for unskilled laborers. In a town with an unemployment rate of 4.4 percent in November 2007 and a median income of around $30,000, economics will drive the future of the Somali population in Emporia.

"My suspicion is that this is going to be a temporary phenomenon," Weitkamp said. "We are not talking about generations, maybe only five years."

Some Somalis have left Emporia because of the controversy, Ibrahim said, but most hope that time will allow the two cultures to better understand each other.

"We like them; we respect them," he said. "But we expect them to respect us, too, like we are brothers. We suggest the Emporia community give us time. To hurry is no good. Everything needs to be given time."

"
"

When the weather is nice, I sometimes feel I am in a foreign country because of the Somalians (sic) on the sidewalk. I do not ever stop my car to use any of the businesses located there. Last week when my car needed washing I drove on the other side of town to use a car wash on West Sixth. I do not eat in any of the fast food places along East 12th and do not even want to use the Senior Center. Needless to say, I am not in favor of bringing any more of these folks into Emporia.

- Fran Outten

-------------

We see the Somalis bringing with them health issues, crime, disrespect to the way America is run, disrespect to us as humans. We see them taking away money that we have worked so hard to earn, taking over our workplaces, our schools, our streets; and replacing our way of life with theirs.

- DJrocksthemic

BOB   

Why am I not surprised at these frustarted souls' angry rants?

PS. Where is this Emporia anway? I would guess it's either a neigbourhood in Toronto or in Mineapolis.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

Biixi   

Just be the proud(Rude"Ma anoo hebel hebel ah") Somali you're. Native Indians, Irish, Pols, Italians...were treated the same way...don't take personal. Their forefathers migrated to this land as well. Welcome to AmeriKKKa.

Ps -- Just say "I'm Blackbelt" and they'll run away :D

The euro-trash version in America.

This is what marc was referring to as Euro-trash, they are everywhere, illaah ha naga qabto.

PS: In my defense, I feel that all this publicity and energy put to integrate these small county folks with the immigrants is a waste of time. Time and resources go into making the two sides come together, and once thats accomplished, these folks will be on their way to their next small town stop. It disgusts me to read about the same thing, over and over again. Headline is always the same "Somali aa town yar usoo guurte oo destruction ay kiciyeen"

Kool_Kat   

Ar Soomaaliyaa!!! Idhaafa dheh tibishadooda...Run maa la isu sheegaa mise been, anbo marabeen wax TB qabo inee magaalada ii orordaan...

I don't blame these people for feeling the way they do...After all, sometimes anoo Somali ah aanba u dulqaadan karin...We are loud, rude, incosiderate...Further more, our men sit in donut shops, sheeko iyo qeylo, stand outside of donut shops in groups for hours and hours...Naga dhaafa dheh ehee, Somalida waxooda ka dareey waaye, loomana dulqaadan karo... :eek:

Are you joking? 100% Kulahaa

Kaalay, do you just throw figures out in the air or what?

LATENT TB waxa ay tahay mataaqa, mase hadal ee kaa tahay?

I asked you a question dear mr doggy dog, do you know what LATENT TB is, and the cause and the estimated figure in the world that have it?(not just in africa, but the world)

Do you know how the disease is transmitted?

Excuse me, dont talk about waxa aad ogeen and throw figures in the air, when all you wanted was to take a jab at me.

Step up Doggy dog and come at me with facts, dhuxul jeceel waaxid, oo waarakiinyo ubaahan.

PS:I wasn't the one who jotted the figure down, it was you, therefore you have to proof yourself to me or hush it.

underdog   

Like I said, I'm pretty ok with my 100% number. You're the one who jumped up like you had something different....like better information.

False alarm, huh? Thats alright.