Sign in to follow this  
Viking

Land of Punt

Maf Kees   

Viking, wasiir originates from the Arab word for Minister. Even in the Dutch language a word to describe a minister is Vizier from the Arab word Wazir. But I do believe that the Land of Punt was located in present day Somalia, most likely Puntland. I read somewhere that some parts of Puntland are infested with Frankincense and Myrrh trees and play an important role in the local people's lives for ages. Evidence of the latter is the highly developed traditional laws on frankincense.

The ridiculous Boon argument and that it somehow relates to Punt reminds me of that thing that as long as you look hard enough, you will see something, anything. Just because words look like each other, doesn't necessarily mean there is a relation between the two. My username is Daanyeer and it has nothing to do with the English surname Danyer. Yes people there are white folks that carry the name Danyer.

Viking   

Paragon,

Looking forward to your precious contribution sxb.

Daanyeer,

Wazir, minister in Arabic is derived from the word wizr which means weight/burden. Just like in Al-Inshirah...Alam nashrax laka sadrak, wa wadacna canka wizrak(Have We not expanded for you your breast? And We removed from you your burden)...

The term I was referring to is pre-Islamic, that is before the advent of Islam where the word you speak of has its origin.

Yeniceri   

As far as the location of the "Land of Punt" was, historians have yet to agree to any definitive theory. There are many possibilities, however.

Yet,
to us even today, for we do not precisely know its actual location. It has been suggested that Punt, because of its exotic "overseas" character, might be as far away as
Somalia, Yemen or even the Horn of Africa
. However, many modern Egyptologists place Punt much nearer to Egypt. We known that some of Punt's treasures were carried over land by way of Nmay and Irem (through the modern Sudan). We also here of the children of the chiefs of Punt that were raised at the Egyptian court alongside the children of Kush (Nubia) and Irem. Therefore, it has been assumed that Punt was not so far away, and most modern scholars place it perhaps on Africa's East Coast perhaps only just south of Egypt. Furthermore, modern attempts to classify flora and fauna suggests that Punt may have been located in the
southern Sudan or the Eritrean
region of Ethiopia. Yet this would place Punt to the east of Nubia and there is
no evidence
of military conflict between Punt and Egypt, as there was between Egypt and Nubia.

One even wonders whether Punt was indeed an actual political entity through all the years between Egypt's Old and New Kingdoms, or was rather more of a generalized, perhaps encompassing a rather large area of Eastern Africa.

History is a puzzle which never seems to have all the pieces intact at once. No person alive can say with absolute certainty exactly where the "Land of Punt" was located. "Puntland" of present-day Somalia is an ambitious attempt to coalesce the myths of the "Land of Punt" and claim it as factual.

NASSIR   

The Land of Punt is known its location and no one has ever doubted its exact location. Numerous books have been written about it and you will find them in libraries. For some reason, i don't trust online documentation, Wikipedia, Geocities, and all other online can be made by individuals whose sources are very unreliable.

The Land of Punt is most likely Sanaag region to as far as Conqor, a coastal village near Berbera. I cite from this from several books and scholarly journals i have read.