Sign in to follow this  
SayidSomal

Somali Films

Ahlan/Hello Kuli/Everyone,

Its been long time since the last time i blessed this place with my visit. Hope all is well and well is all.

Now as for the topic - Would any of you be kind enough to suggest a maximum of five somali movies that can stand to scrutiny of non-somali and second generation somalis.

I ask this as i am involved with a project by British Films Institute (BFI) to raise the profile of Somali films.

Many thanks to those who contribute

nuune   

QAYAANO

FAJAC

FLIGHT 13

XAASKEYGA CARAWEELO

SUUQA WAALIDA IIBSHA

DIANA

SHALAAY

ISMADHAANTO

SHIDO

IMTIXAANKA ADUUNKA

ABOOTO KUTUBEY

WADCI

These are some of the list of Somali films, search them to download or watch!

Kool_Kat   

^All the Somali movies I've seen don't have subtitles, so I don't see the point of 'some non somalis' watching them...

But may I suggest 'ALI & AWRALA', beautiful movie with strong message...Everyone can relate to young or old, male or female...

Ta Ta...

Chimera   

Somalia should have been out of the handicap stage it currently is in, same way Chinese movies of today are far superior to the old stereotypical one but Ali and Awrala looks promising

Somalia used to host every year since 1962 the Annual African Film Festival in Mogadishu up untill the civil war

Thanks every one for your responses.

i actually met the producer of Ali & Awralla in london yesterday - we hope to have the film subtitled and showed it for a week in brixton Ritz cinema some time in june/july 08.

if the BFI would be up for it.

wish us luck

Kool_Kat   

^Ain't he just a cool person? The director is cooler though, lolz...

I hope it all works our for y'all...I've seen the movie, and it is one of the best, if not the best Somali movie I've seen so far...

GM   

what about "rafaat iyo raaho". i saw this somali drama about a decade ago, it had some powerful relationship messages.