Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

Pay or Principle?

underdog   

Here's a Thought....How about you get up and go pray....Permission or not. Don't give the employer the 'choice' of 'allowing' you to pray. If they ask, explain if you get fired you haver grounds for grievance...plenty of lawyers will take the case because its legally wrongful dismissal.

Don't be forced into a compromising position by fear or ignorance...know your rights and treat them as such. Its not a priviledge and if you show fear or shyness these people will walk all over you.

Baluug   

Originally posted by Castro:

quote:Originally posted by Xoogsade:

Liban Temporary Welfare is much better than staying on a job that doesn't let you pray.

Sorry, off topic but I know some maryooley who've been on welfare near two decades. That's a little more than temporary, no?
:D
LOL They're just waiting for the right job to come around.....

Xoogsade   

Originally posted by Liban The Man:

I'm not saying to stay at the job, but keep it until you find one that will accomodate your salat schedule. Welfare, as far as I know is quite bad(not sure if it is haraam) when you are quite capable of working.

Lee, You can't go around shopping for a job that does let you pray. To begin with, during a job interview, it is counter productive to ask the interviewer if there were any objections to one's religious practice. What one needs to do is to get a job first, then go from there. Once you are hired, just pull out your salli and pray on your breaks hoping these times would reconcile with prayer schedule. If not, ask your area lead or supervisor to accomodate you for five minutes. Tell them you can sacrifice your entire breaks for a five minute on a specific time inwhich you need to pray. If they see your dedication to your beliefs, Most american bosses would accomodate you. There are many avenues for a muslim who is keen on prayer to find accomodation.

The decision to stay on the job after you are told prayer is not acceptable will depend on your conviction and what you consider priority in life. Work is important and required from every capable muslim, at the same time, Prayer which is the foundation of one's existence takes precendence saxib.

Welfare is designed to help people on a temporary basis untill they can stand on their own. If one was to quit the job, and there are no relatives to live with or friends to stay with till that person finds another job, nothing makes going to the welfare office morally wrong.

Castro

yea, that was off topic :D:D

Laba-X   

Sorry, off topic but I know some maryooley who've been on welfare near two decades. That's a little more than temporary, no?

...Worry not Castro, soon those Maryooley will be forced to work, beg or starve as the total cessation of the Incapacity Benefit swings in!

As for prayer at work, i remember once when dissapearance from the shop floor clearly provoked my manager (he was rather friendly though, despite his utter ignorance and support for Milwall FC)! And in order to put an end to this he suggested we compromise and said;

"You do this O'aight, why don't ya give me a bloody break and pray all of 'em at once mate?"

to which i burst out laughing and educated him abit about Islam.