Sign in to follow this  
Abdinasir Kadawo

I would like to introduce.............

avocado tree to Somalia.

I like avocado fruit very much. I have been thinking lately if avocado tree grows in Somalia. After some search in the Internet, my question was still unanswered. If it doesn't grow I've been thinking to try myself, if it is possible of course.

So now I want some advice. Are there any agro-scientists here? I would like to know; is it possible to grow it in Somalia, what regions would it be suited to grow, is it expensive tree, etc. Is there also anyone in here who could be interested?

Your help will be appreciated

also in ethiopia and kenya. i believe there are some cultivars that could grow in northern part of somalia. this is what is written in wikipedia about cultivation:

"The tree grows to 20 meters (65 ft), with alternately arranged leaves 12–25 centimetres long. The flowers are inconspicuous, greenish-yellow, 5–10 millimetres wide. The pear-shaped fruit is 7–20 centimetres long, weighs between 100 and 1000 grams, and has a large central seed, 5–6.4 centimeters long.[5] It is considered by many to be a drupe, but is botanically classified as a berry.[6][7]

The subtropical species needs a climate without frost and with little wind. High winds reduce the humidity, dehydrate the flowers, and affect pollination. In particular, the West Indian type requires humidity and a tropical climate which is important in flowering. When even a mild frost occurs, some fruit may drop from the tree, reducing the yield, although the Hass cultivar can tolerate temperatures down to −1°C. The trees also need well aerated soils, ideally more than 1 m deep. Yield is reduced when the irrigation water is highly saline. These soil and climate conditions are provided only in a few areas of the world, particularly in southern Spain, the Levant, South Africa, Peru, parts of central and northern Chile, Vietnam, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Australia, New Zealand, the United States, the Philippines, Malaysia, Central America, the caribbean and Mexico, the center of origin and diversity of this species. Each region has different types of cultivars. Mexico is the largest producer of the Hass variety, with over 1 million tonnes produced annually."

Source: wikipedia.org

Paragon   

^Once thing I know is that we use to drink the darn thing quite alot in Garissa. Legend had it that 'married' men were recommended to drink it before the get into shuqul-daakhiliyah in the coming night :D .

I'm sure it can grow between the two rivers - Juba areas especially. Ask Dabshid for I think he's been there recently.

Aaliyyah   

If you like it so much, just live in a place where avocado is available loool

Jokes aside, I don't know if it grows in somalia.I do use avocado though (not for eating though i dnt really like it)...but for my hair. I heard it nourishes your hair. So do lemme know if you figure out where it grows in Somalia :D

salaam

i don't think it grows in Somalia, but i believe it could. i've also found that most avocado in usa(one of the biggest producers in the world) are commercialy grown in san diego count. although i have never been there, i think that place is similar to the northern parts of somalia. am i wrong?