Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

Office Politics - Sign my card for my Birthday, my cat's death,...

Khayr   

So i'm at the office and I get a co-worker pass me a birthday card. There is already a 'mandatory' birthday card signing (according to the birthday gal at work) coming up at week's end and I get a Pop Quiz like this before the Test day. :rolleyes:

I didn't sign today's card cause I just had it with this bullying. Its a new office and everyones new here and the social networking is in full form.

What to do people?

I don't even celeberate my kids birthdays and now this office politics is backing up against the corner - Principle or Strategy or Sell Out?

:confused:

Any one had a similiar experience?

A birthday card gets me free cake (nice suga rush at 3 P.M),a time away from the monotonous daily cr*p and an oppurtunity to mingle with the big bosses or atleast those they can get me promoted-and if it's special occassion a bottle of chardonnay is in order. Of course, I don't wash it down, just keep it for aesthetic reasons.

Just for clarification, are you opposed to the birthdays or don't want conform to the unwritten rules?

nuune   

Originally posted by Cadaan:

Just sign the st*upid card.

lol@Cadaan, ishaa ka tuurtey, Just do it, da damn card needs to be signed.

Khayr, I have a presentation to make on this topic--next Tuesday---Effectively Managing Office Politics.....Passing the buck, shoe polishing.....etc.

I asked a colleague of mine yesterday: Tom, what do you think of office politics? He cracks me up. He held his hands up and said, "STAY OUT OF IT".

one thing though, its a fact of life at the office and closing your eyes to it might cost you. Learnn and play effectively to your advantage -constructive politics that is.

Khayr   

The concept of the Birthday ritual is antiethical to Religion. Religion is Theocentric (centered on GOD) and modernism of which the concept of Birthday is part of is centered on the Individual - Nafsani.

There are great souls in the islamic tradition who's birthday's have been celeberated and they were celeberated because their lives where Centered on GOD. Ofcourse, with some of these practices people went to extremes with their devotion.

Office politics have to be played well but at what points should you draw the line?

^^Poor reasoning there yaa Kheyr!

From purely an Islamic perspective, birthday celebrations represent something that neither saxaabah nor the prophet had done. The most important figure in our religion is Muhammad (Swc), and safe from some fringe circles, his birthday is not celebrated. His companion did not celebrate it. Birthday parties are unarguably a western in origin, and style, with a religious cent! At best it’s unconstructive introduction to the Muslim world.

If you however celebrate birthday parties of important figures like the prophet on the basis of personal greatness or significance like brother Kheyr seems to be subscribing to, then objections against it is quite weak.

On the questoin of office politics, it’s easy really. Explain your position on the matter to your fellow coworkers in a respectable manner. Remember that what you percieve office politics may not be so!