Sign in to follow this  
Lake

London real estate - $5,000 per SQUARE FOOT

^ Yeah, Mumsy is considering upping and moving to West London so I can be closer to work. It's very sweet of her but I would rather stick a fork through my hand than move to Harrow or Hillingdon.

I would consider East London tho even if it's still a commute for me. :D

ScarFace   

val well its breathtaking situated directly on the river..inside got a friendly neighbour a rat called rat chi rati...make sure you smile an not scream.....

anything else

from what i have seen in east london the place is dirty

Originally posted by Valenteenah:

^ Yeah, Mumsy is considering upping and moving to West London so I can be closer to work. It's very sweet of her but I would rather stick a fork through my hand than move to Harrow or Hillingdon.

Kibir waxaasa la yidha :rolleyes:

^^ Not quite. The mention of rat chi rati put me off.

Norf, are you kidding me? I would love to get my hands on one of those properties and renovate, renovate, renovate!

You can scoff all you want but Hackney is very up and coming you know, what with the Thames Gateway and 2012 Olympics funds seeping in. In fact, I would love to work on one of their regeneration projects. Plus, I like the colour and vibrancy of that area. There is a reason why even Nike are trying to get their piece of that borough! icon_razz.gif:D

Lake   

Originally posted by Northerner:

quote: I feel sorry for all my brothers and sisters out there.

Londoners earn more
;)Actually no they don't..The average family net income in london is below that of US and Canada. Don't compare the Pound to the dollar. What's the inflation rate in London? I'm assuming is real high. London is just garbage lol..The worst place I been to for vacation. There is nothing to do what's so EVER.

ScarFace   

^^I see you havent been to the right places..next time you come knock on my dooor :D as for the average family net income in london is well over £1000......

val before the Olympics regeneration programme east london was shyte hole and nobody wanted to live there but now property prices in east have already jumped up by 20-30% so it would be hard for you to get on the property ladder better think about my offer girl..the rat chi rati can be disinfected :D

Lake   

Originally posted by Valenteenah:

^ Well, you need to leave the house first before you can find something to do.

Why do you assume inflation is really high? Because the Pound is so strong?

I'm assuming the inflation is real high because..You guys don't really have purchasing power..You simply do not make enough. You have real nice areas and you have the gutter of all gutters places. There is huge gab between the well off and the people just trying to make it. The somalis are not doing that great in the UK I could go on and on.........The homes that are considered "expensive" is rather very cheap and small compare to north america

London= Garbage

N.O.R.F   

Tone

Using London as an example, its big and expensive with different living standards. I don’t think its right to gauge these standards by what you saw within the Somali Community during your stay there. Yes the properties are smaller and somewhat older but the rise in ‘salaries earned’ has led to the sharp rises in house prices since the late nineties due to the good economic standing of the Labour party’s policies. The days of boom and bust under the Tories are over, confidence in barrowing and spending has increased, the banks are only too willing to lend etc etc.

After a quick google search and finding this site - http://www.bls.gov/cew/state2002.txt, the average annual salary in the US in 2002 was $36,724 (approx GBP 19,500 - http://www.xe.com . After another search for UK salaries here - http://www.recruitermagazine.co.uk/assets/getAsset.aspx?liAssetID=18647 , the average salary per annum is GBP 25,895 (approx $ 48,500). Reduce by say 10% as I think these are 2005/2006 figures and you have GBP 23,300 and $43,730 respectively. This is all gross mind you.

Now we get into tax. I’m not aware of US tax percentages but UK tax is 22% pa on the above figure thus reducing it to GBP 18,174 pa which works out at GBP 1,514 per month which is a healthy return in London. I think the tax is less in the US so say a 15% take on $36,724 leaves one with $31,215pa leaving $2,601 per month which is approx GBP 1,386 (GBP 128.00 less per month).

The price of things such as transport and rent is cheaper in the US but you then you need health insurance whereas its already been covered for in the UK by paying the higher tax.

Val

Hackney is a typical inner city London, you will find wealthy individuals living with not so wealthy practically within a stones throw. I’m not sure whether it will receive any Olympics money though as it already gets the New Deal for Inner Cities Fund. Newham and Ilford will be the main benefactors of the Olympics but they could also be charged an arm and a leg in council tax rises pretty soon (take a note NG).

Lake   

Originally posted by Northerner:

Tone

After a quick google search and finding this site -
the average annual salary in the US in 2002 was $36,724 (approx GBP 19,500 -
. After another search for UK salaries here -
, the average salary per annum is GBP 25,895 (approx $ 48,500). Reduce by say 10% as I think these are 2005/2006 figures and you have GBP 23,300 and $43,730 respectively. This is all gross mind you.

Now we get into tax. I’m not aware of US tax percentages but UK tax is 22% pa on the above figure thus reducing it to GBP 18,174 pa which works out at GBP 1,514 per month which is a healthy return in London. I think the tax is less in the US so say a 15% take on $36,724 leaves one with $31,215pa leaving $2,601 per month which is approx GBP 1,386 (GBP 128.00 less per month).

The price of things such as transport and rent is cheaper in the US but you then you need health insurance whereas its already been covered for in the UK by paying the higher tax.

Val

Hackney is a typical inner city London, you will find wealthy individuals living with not so wealthy practically within a stones throw. I’m not sure whether it will receive any Olympics money though as it already gets the New Deal for Inner Cities Fund. Newham and Ilford will be the main benefactors of the Olympics but they could also be charged an arm and a leg in council tax rises pretty soon (take a note NG).

Don't compare both currencies..compare the two purchasing power both have. Its simple A thousand dollar for example here will get you more goods than having a thousand pound in london is what i'm trying to say...