galbeedi

Garacad port is a great lesson for Somalis every where

Illyria   

Not in our life  time, I think not. Abu Dhabi based, State owned company, proposed to finish the port, the GGG road project, and management of the port, with a 37% stake, but all their proposals had been rejected.

Besides, reer Mudug have less Oromo infiltration, higher expectations, and greater ambition than the secessionists.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47gjydo3n0gcflkk7qaz

Illyria   

Boating on Garacad beaches and sea is an experience much different from those of Bosaso or Berbera. The weather is soooo nice, and there is nothing like an early morning organic breakfast, or a late sea food dinner on the beach.

GGUjfJVWkAAq-5U?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 6:36 AM, Illyria said:

Not in our life  time, I think not. Abu Dhabi based, State owned company, proposed to finish the port, the GGG road project, and management of the port, with a 37% stake, but all their proposals had been rejected.

Besides, reer Mudug have less Oromo infiltration, higher expectations, and greater ambition than the secessionists.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47gjydo3n0gcflkk7qaz

and what is that ambition 

no port in the horn of africa can compete with berbera well only the Djibouti port of doorale

Illyria   
5 hours ago, Xaaji Xunjuf said:

and what is that ambition 

no port in the horn of africa can compete with berbera well only the Djibouti port of doorale

Is this the same schpeel as SL being the rarest kept secret, and best  democracy in Africa?

Well it s pretty much the only democracy in the Horn of Africa  where one man one vote happens no other country in the Horn africa has done this

not Eritrean not Ethiopia not jabuuti not the bunker 

as much i admire Garacad port, there is so much community can do. you need government involvement as well

the government of Puntland need to invest bit more. you can not have a whole fuel tanker ship to waiting, intii trucks laga dhaaminayo. They have to build fuel storage facility.  

Illyria   

I agree, it is inefficient. Storage tanks are being built nearby, which will remove the manual process out of the way. They bought a couple of cranes for cargo loading, and are in negotiation with a Stevedorking company to better manage cargo. The GGG road is the focus now.

1aa1h.jpg

Illyria   

Consider qualitative measures of the project from an environmental perspective in benefits and gains. When the first gas tanker arrived, propane gas prices were very high, I think a propane tank was at 50$ for the household, and now less under 20$ (lasts up to 3 months for a family of 7), still high, but greatly reduced, and because of that, more and more people are opting for cooking with gas rather than "dhuxul", which in turn means less trees being cut down for cooking. Now, consider the environmental positive impact in 10 years time. To see it in action, just visit Sanaag to see the quick transformation in a short period, thanks to Fatima Jibril & Co., Allah yahfidhaa wa barik aqlahaa. 

illyria

how the GGG road is going. Is it started yet, when is planed to finish. 

i agree with you, Propane gas need to be invested more so price can come down below the point is cheaper than charcoal. Government and NGO, should do more.

Illyria   

I understand the initial phase has started, and the initial batch of the construction equipment has arrived, and the rest is en route. The original plan was a private investment where a toll fee system would be implemented. The Wadaagsan annual conference is now in session, and more shall be known at its end.

423325717_711111374497990_63103017592400

423325960_711111601164634_56485214496721

424826113_711111797831281_50719817631428

424819848_711111857831275_33226062949483

424810354_711111431164651_28229050789698

galbeedi   
18 hours ago, Illyria said:

I think a propane tank was at 50$ for the household, and now less under 20$ (lasts up to 3 months for a family of 7), still high, but greatly reduced,

Having bought myself a propane gas for cooking in Addis Ababa, $20 propane tank is cheap. I don't know the exact size, but we paid about $60 for a medium size which lasted only a month.for 4 people.

It looks millions have been poured to Garacad. I want to ask you that is there any  possibility than a foreign entity like a UAE company isn't involved secretly? The company  didn't make a penny yet, but more investment is coming in .This is good for the long run, yet I have a feeling that Dubai is involved somehow. I hope I am wrong.

Illyria   
3 hours ago, galbeedi said:

Having bought myself a propane gas for cooking in Addis Ababa, $20 propane tank is cheap. I don't know the exact size, but we paid about $60 for a medium size which lasted only a month.for 4 people.

It looks millions have been poured to Garacad. I want to ask you that is there any  possibility than a foreign entity like a UAE company isn't involved secretly? The company  didn't make a penny yet, but more investment is coming in .This is good for the long run, yet I have a feeling that Dubai is involved somehow. I hope I am wrong.

It is not just propane gas, but petrol price dropped by 25%, cement price hit its lowest by 37% price drop (I think from 19$ a bag to 7$-8$ in Jan), the same applies to construction material, other imported goods etc. Size might be a factor, I'll check it in my next trip. In my previous trip, I conversed with a young man working for one of the local companies, who popped in to replace an empty tank, and a mother next door about the switch from dhuxul to gas.

I am not intimately privy to their books, but as they are not open for business yet, one would not expect a steady stream of revenue, but then ships and boats do pay some taxes on arrival. No idea how that works.

3 hours ago, galbeedi said:

It looks millions have been poured to Garacad. I want to ask you that is there any  possibility than a foreign entity like a UAE company isn't involved secretly?

To the best of my knowledge, there is not, but then, never say never. As noted in an earlier post UAE tried, wanted shares, but not accepted.