Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Muslims most deprived in the UK: report

N.O.R.F   

Muslims most deprived in the UK: report

Regional-UK, Politics, 5/16/2006

Britain's 1.8-million Muslim population suffers from the worst deprivation in the UK, according to a new government-sponsored study.

Muslims were found to be more likely than other religious minorities to be unemployed and live in poor housing in the most deprived parts of England.

Half of Muslims aged over 25 are jobless and one in three live in the worst deprived areas, said the study carried out by researchers from the universities of Derby, Warwick, Birmingham and Oxford.

The community is also particularly vulnerable to long-term illness, poor levels of education and housing conditions.

"Taking the Muslim population as a whole, they face some of the most acute conditions of multiple deprivation," said the report, commissioned to review the prospects of faith communities in England.

The academics were asked to review existing evidence, including information from the 2001 national census on the Hindu, Sikh and Muslim communities by the Office of Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott.

It found that the three faith communities were likely to remain concentrated in the same areas where they were geographically concentrated across England.

The "dispersal" of the groups is likely to be limited by the desire of families to stay close together and remain near their places of worship, the research said.

Between the 1960s and the 2000s, the regional distribution of the communities had remained largely stable. It included one in three Muslims in England living in the 10 percent ratio of most deprived areas, but where white Christians formed the majority.

A government spokeswoman has reportedly said that the study will be used to encourage equal opportunities for members of all religious communities.

The Islamic Human Rights Commission (IHRC) Monday castigated the findings.

"Despite the recent EU initiative to make religious discrimination in employment illegal, there is still no support-structure in place to address the needs of victims of such discrimination," the IHRC said.

Its chairman Massoud Shadjareh said that it was 'incredible' that such a situation exists in 21st century Britain, whereby it is perfectly legal to discriminate against certain religious communities and not others.

"Despite the Muslim community continuously raising this issue with the government, nothing has been done and as the report shows, Muslims continue to face discrimination in every section of society," he said.

The study, carried out by researchers from the universities of Derby, Warwick, Birmingham and Oxford, found that the UK's 1.8 million Muslims were more likely than other religious minorities to be unemployed with 50 percent of those aged over 25 jobless.

It also confirmed that Muslims were also most likely to live in poor housing in the most deprived parts of England and were particularly vulnerable to long-term illness and poor levels of education.

The Muslim Council of Britain said the research showed the poverty and other deep-seated problems that have contributed to the marginalization and disaffection felt among many young Muslims.

"We hope that this report serves to highlight the need to develop policies that are able reach into these communities and fulfill their needs," MCB Secretary General Sir Iqbal Sacranie said.

The IHRC said that it deals with many victims who have consequently been left to suffer in silence. It called for reformed laws to outlaw religious discrimination in all sectors and service provisions.

http://www.arabicnews.com/ansub/Daily/Day/060516/2006051609.html

N.O.R.F   

I dont know, i'm a little sceptical about this report. Does a high population of a minority group(s) make an area 'deprived' as opposed to an area with a high concentration of whites?

If you live in London your house is probably worth over 200K, but you are probably still in a 'deprived' area.

The study, carried out by researchers from the universities of Derby, Warwick, Birmingham and Oxford, found that the UK's 1.8 million Muslims were more likely than other religious minorities to be unemployed with 50 percent of those aged over 25 jobless.

Again this is not what can be described as 'descrimination' as many of our (Somali/Asian) 'islamo' do not work. Yes things can be better but the level of unemployment will change if this is considered.

There is an increasing level of descrimination towards muslims yes but this report is either half complete or a straight 'dig' at us.

What are you sceptical about?

Most of the Muslims will also be minorities; and minorities are found in the deprived areas.

I would not call 25 year olds islaamo. smile.gif A lot of them don't work even at 25. With the cost of housing alone crippling, how can the husband's income alone satisfy a BIG(as is the way) family's accommodation, food, clothing and other needs? People depend on the state to take care of their housing and this dependency forces them into not-so-nice areas and all the social, educational and aspirational baggage that comes with it.

What if they pulled out the statistics on males over 25 only? Would the figures change dramatically? U know more young Muslim men than I do(probably), how many choose to work? Somalis and Bangladeshis don't srike me as workaholics. Add to that the difficulties facing those that choose to work.

Joblessness and what leads to it: discrimination, the cushion that is the social security system, alienation, poor education and a lack of a desire to belong to the wider society.

Discrimination is not a joke, although religious discrimination is now illegal there is yet no body that caters to the needs of victims and provides them with assistance and advice. I have tried. The CRE- commission for racial equality- distances itself away unless u can for instance prove that your faith and race are undoubtedly linked, e.g a Sikh is Sikh by faith and Sikh by ethnicity. The CRE would consider assisting a Sikh and a Jew who complains of religious discrimination as a result. It is not so straightforward for Muslims, we come in all races and we are the ones that need he assiatance the most in the current paranoid, backlashing climate. So in that sense we are definitely deprived, who to turn to for help?

I have a tribunal hearing set; in a couple of weeks time I have to sit in front of a panel of people and make my case. Discrimination is not easy to prove but the more of us that use the system to make our voices heard the better. Silence is a crime.

I don't think this report is a dig at Muslims. Do the Muslim organisations undertake studies like this? And if they do, would they take into consideration the Muslim social structure(more women staying at home) etc? Would the results free us of some stereotypes or throw up glaring problems that are of our own making?

I swear I could go on and on redface.gif

Zafir   

Sheharazade, One income in a household can and will accommodate a family, it just depends on the life style they choose to pursue. Jaded studies I say.

^really? Do the figures. How many children in the average Muslim family? How much the does the average man earn?

Mortgage/rent, gas, electric, council tax, TV licence, car insurance, car tax, car MOT, food, clothing, what else..money back home..

Jaded in what way?

Zafir   

Average Income: $2400.00 a month

Child supports services pay the family 300.00

Total net: 2700.00

Household of seven dependants (including parents)

Rent: $ 900.00

Telephone bill: $35 (Basic)

Cable: $30 (basic)

Car Insurance: $80.00

Gas /Hydro: $120.00 (every two months)

Food: $400.00

Gas for the car: $120.00

Clothing isn’t a monthly expense.

Money sent back home: $100.00 (Varies for every family, but xaawo taako is standard)

Total expense: $1785.00, for the sake of argument let’s rounded up to $1900.00. They will still have $500.00 savings, with/out adding the money given to by the governments for the kids.

Sheharazade, Don't say it can't be done, it's takes committed management and realizing the value of money and also differentiating what is needed and what is wanted, really. This has been proven sis.

I shouldn't say what can't be done?

Bro, I have a headache and 10 things to do before bedtime. I will look over your figures tomorrow, when u have changed them to British pounds for starters(as we were talking about the UK) and catered them to a British Muslim family!!!!

$900 for a house that can accomodate a family of seven- that's not even a one-bedroom flat in London, bro.

Unless u have lived and worked in the UK in the recent past, Zafir, don't try to even guess/prove. We're talking about different worlds, if indeed u are talking about a viable world- US? Canada? Is the average income earned by an average individual that high?

N.O.R.F   

Sheh some good points indeed. I shall respond in due time.

For the record i did not mean 20 somthings to be islaamo.

Azmaya   

sheh an excellent observation.

i been in the UK for the past 3 weeks well its not fair for me to judge however i see that opportunities here are slim and none for somalis the US is much better for education and work from what i hear the people saying. discrimination well UK looks segregated the whites seem racist no one says hi like in US. what the fk are ppl angry for?

somalis seem to be stuck in welfare and no moving up. but i believe in the determination

and spirit of the individual.

conversion between dollar and pound the dollar is half worth the pound shopping aint

going damn wasn't america supposed to be #1?