Sign in to follow this  
Bambina

Excessive laughter

Bambina   

Salam Alaykum ,

I came across a wonderful article in a muslim website about excessive laughter and I thought it was useful to post this topic and paste some of the author's ideas because the text was quite long.

The author said :"According to a saheeh hadeeth, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not laugh too much, for excessive laughter kills the heart (i.e., spiritually).” (Reported by Ibn Maajah, no. 4193; Silsilah al-Saheehah, no. 506). According to another report, he said: “… too much laughter corrupts the heart.” After knowing this, if a Muslim laughs to excess it is as if he is undertaking a journey that he knows will lead to his doom."

He recommends all muslims to avoid mixing with jokers , resisting laughing as much as possible and changing subjects that may lead to laughter.

Of course ,it doesnt mean that laughter is haraam but excessive laughter is not useful thus make us forget our islamic duties.In fact , he also stated that the person who makes us laugh might not be respected even though we laugh at his or her jokes.

So my question to you nomads is what do you think about excessive laughter? Where you once embarrassed by a friend who was excessively laughing in public? I noticed white people tend to laugh excessively at nothing and I thought more than one time what were so funny about some of their jokes. So how do you define an excessive laughter?

Qac Qaac   

excessive laughter is really bad for men & women, i really hate it when someone laughs outloud to the point that everyone looks at that person.

and yes about it killing the heart is very true, also it doesn't remind u your duties towards allah, also a joker is not respected of what he says, coz ppl would know him as the not serious person all the time, even if he is serious.

Liqaye   

I do agree with the excessive laughter bit, to me it has always singled out bad mannered people and futher interaction usually confirmed my first thoughts.

there is also a hadiith that states a person should not laugh so immoderatley that ones back molars can be seen.

Excessive laughter to the point of looking a fool is a ****** habit indulged in by idlers and ****** .

I agree, qosolka badan waa dambi....hadii xitaa janno laguugu bishaareeyo ma aha in si ka dareey eh loo qoslo, waa ceeb wax yaalaha qaarkood.

qosolka excessive ka eh dadna wee ka xishoodaan qaarna dadka ee ku soo jiitaan.

Would like to contribute to the topic first,

Humor and laughter are but a part of our daily life which relaxs the bodies and mind. Ali bin Abu Talib once said 'Minds get tired as do bodies , so treat them with humor', and to Refresh your minds from time to time , for a tired mind becomes blind.

From this light and from the Hadith stated by Sis Bambina I believe there is no harm in Muslims entertaining the heart but it shouldnt lead to his downfall. As it shouldnt be his sole pursuit in life -( Reminds me of an episode of friends where the 2 of the guys kept quarreling over the patency of a joke. :rolleyes: )

Why downfall?

• It has been forbidden to joke and laugh about other peoples values and honor. Allah says SWT' O you who believes let not some of you mock other people, it maybe that they are better than you....(49:11).
  • Nor is it appropriate for a Muslim to tell jokes based on what is untrue in order to make people laugh. The Prophet SAW warned ' Woe to the one who says something which is false in order to make people laugh! Woe be to him , woe be to him!

Going back to your qns, yes excessive laughter is to embarassing been there, seen that. Have been with people laughing after every simple sentence and I feel sick inside- so superficial redface.gif . Always find a way to move out of the circle. coz I fear can be contagious :D .

Another class of 'excessive laughter' is someone crackin down on a joke n they laugh in this loud voice with seems like lasted for an hour. And he is in the spotlight.

Liqaye heard of that hadith too. Our Prophet SAW never raised his voice in laughter he smiled or showed his teeth. What an example. ;)

Said by another scholar, season your conversation with humor in the same proportion as you season your food with salt :D

NGONGE   

I agree with most of what’s being said above, however, some people reading that will take it as being an excuse not smile or laugh at all. Not laughing excessively should not mean not laughing at all. There is no point in having a frown on your face all the time but there is also no point in flashing your teeth at everyone for no reason. All in moderation I suppose.