Sign in to follow this  
Alisomali

What is the official name ICU or UIC or CIU, etc?

Ok, this has become a sort of pet peeve for me. What is the official name of the organization of waddads fighting Ethiopia?

Iv seen a few variations, and am greatly intrested in finding out which is the correct name?

Option 1: ICU=Islamic Courts Union

Option 2: UIC= Union of Islamic Courts

Option 3: AIC= Alliance of Islamic Courts

etc.

Feel free to also add your own variations.

Castro   

Originally posted by Alisomali:

What is the official name of the organization of waddads fighting Ethiopia?

Somalis.

Baluug   

I believe they're also called SICC, Supreme Islamic something-or-other. But yeah, the name is ICU, Islamic Courts Union.

Midowga Maxkamadaha Islaamiga [MMI]. You can translate it any other language you wish.

They later changed, though not widespread in use, Golaha Sare ee Maxkamadaha Islaamiga [GSMI].

Soomaalida are also equally using 'maxkamadaha' [soomaali syntax] iyo 'maxaakiimta' [Carabi syntax]. According to google, twice as many as use maxkamadaha [108,000] than maxaakiimta [57,300]. Good to know Soomaalida at least keep the Soomaali way, though the word maxkamad itself doesn't have Soomaali root.

I think ICU is best fit. Because one feels like they are in the intensive care unit under their leadership.

Sidaad u neefsatid, sidaad u labisatid, sidaad u socotid... iyagaa kuu wada sheegaya. I see definite similarities icon_razz.gif