Sign in to follow this  
money

The b.a.s.t.a.r.d child and my beatings

money   

One saturday night, my auntie's husband, Sabato, who was Italian drove me to Lido Night Club. He was married to Eedo Asli. Actually, she is not my real Eedo but we call her Eedo since she treats us with sweets and candies from Italia every now and then. I sometimes go to her place to play with her only daughter, Sabrina. Sabrina has plenty of toys and bikes. I like to bike. Sabrina sometimes gives me kisses and Sabato too gives me kisses and soccer balls to kick.

One special saturday night, that I will never forget, Mr. Sabato took me for a ride and then to Lido club. It was a horrible night that still haunts me up to now. I was just small boy.

In Lido, the club stuff won't let me to the main bar and dance floor. Kids are not allowed to be there anyways. So I stayed out at the dinnig balcony like all other Somali and white kids, most of them Italian. There were many people there having dinner and chatting in Italian. I spoke some Italian. Mr.Sabato left me with some other kids and told me to sit quiet and behave until he comes back from the bar.

The sea was calm and there was just lovely breeze. There were people on the sandy beaches, some walking, others sitting. There was specially a couple, a Somali girl and Italian man, sitting and kissing each other. They were laughing and necking.Sometimes the Somali girls sits over the Italain man and sometimes she stands up and throws herself into the man's hands.

I watched them and other scenery and stuff that was going on the beach. I ate, drank and enjoyed until my autie's hubby told me to come. There was this familiar skinny girl with him. She was the same girl on the beach playing with the Italian man. But somehow, she was not as playful and buubly as she was moments before. She had a sad face and seemed drunk. The girl was wearing some skimpy clothing and was half naked. Now I could see her dark smooth skin very clearly. I first thought she was the maid but then it hit me. She is one of the regulars of the club; you know those party girls who prey on foreign man, sleep with them for money and or maybe a ticket out of Africa and its misery. Eedo Asli told us she used to hang in the clubs and hang with a lot of Italian men before Uncle Sabato fell in love with her and decided to marry her. Her family first rejected the idea but then she gave them a lot of money and built her family a huge villa. They wanted Sabato to convert to Islam but that never happened.

Back to Lido and the spiritied girl. Her called her Sofia. All of sudden, her mood changed and she smiling and not sad any more. I though she was kind slutty and very social, if you know what I mean. She even winked me and forced me to give her a hug. She hold me very tight and I could smell alcohol from her breath.

Mr. Sabato told me that we would drop Sofia at her place. It was close to midnight when we arrived in her neighborhood which was not that far from Lido. She lived in Campo Amharo, a very rough and poor ghetto along the Lido coast. Mr. Sabato told me to get off the car. As I was doing this, he opened the trunk and pulled up a big heavy bag. He put the bag at the corner of the street and instructed me to wait him and watch the bag. " I will be back within a minute, OK?" He assured me. He told me that he will take Sofia to her place around the corner and he doesn't want people to see her getting off the car with an Italian man. They would think she is bad girl.

I asked him what was in the bag. "clothes and stuff, be a god boy and wait for me..OK" He said and rushed back to the car and took off. I stood there, doing nothing but after five minutes, I decided to sit. It was really dark and I began to get scared; the total darkness and silence sorrounding me was that scary. I sit and stood once a while as time passed. Then I got impatient, scared and worried when uncle Sabato would be back. I started to shiver as it was getting cold. I thought to myself maybe there are sweaters I could use to cover myself in the bag. I really didn't know what was in the bag. Before I could open it, I kicked it to feel what was inside. To my surprise I heard a sound, a baby crying, and it was coming from the bag. I rushed to open the bag and inside was this baby crying loud. A cute baby girl, just maybe few weeks old. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The silence was gone and so was my feeling cold. As I picked the poor baby, I heard people's voices coming from every direction. I could hear them saying " yeah he is the one, catch him.... he is the one who leaves b.a.s.t.a.r.d babies here, in the open, every night" The crazy cowd sorrouded me, yelling and mad at me, carrying sticks, knives and swords and shouting " Beat him, he is the b.a.s.t.a.r.d who dumps baby b.a.s.t.a.r.ds here all the time" "beat him and punish him".. I was so scared and couldn't ever say one word.

I tried to put the screaming baby down but a big man told me not to. " Ha dhigin we.ce.lka dhulka, we.cel.yahow" One small boy threw a stone and hit me but it wasn't hard enough to hurt me. Another man strike me with his stick at at the head, A blood gushed so fast from my forehead and spilled over to the baby's face. I was hurting and bleeding badly this time. The baby was crying the whole time. I wantedi to throw him nd run as fast as I can.

Then for a second, a man asked everyone to shut up and stay still. He started to ask me questions.

"what is your name boy" he asked me.

Shocked and scared, "Sahal" I said.

Then he asked me several questions that could be summed where did I get the baby and why do I dump the babies in their neighborhood? I answered that I don't do that and I don't know what he is talkig about. As I statred to explain him that I was tricked and left here by my Auntie's Italian hubby, he ordered me to hand the baby to a lady in the crowd and go back to where I was standing.

Then he ordered the crowd. "go, get him!"