Sign in to follow this  
OG Moti

SAAYID MOHMED ABDULLA HASSAN

OG Moti   

Bulo it seems to me the only person who exaggerating here is you, first of all let me correct you, what counts is not who removed the occupation and gave the actual freedom, what counts is who encouraged people to fight for their freedom, and if he did not start revolution against the occupying forces we would still be under occupation today some how he gave Somalia dignity, you don't agree? then fine cause millions of Somalis do agree and put a symbol of him the middle of the city and everyone who passes that road looks up and with amaze says to him/herself what a man he was?

Criminal? bulo do you know by God's law and human law in every country allows to kill those who come against freedom and Allah orders us to fight the kufar not to mention those who come to occupy our land, as far as his poems it was only reverse psychology to scare people not to co-operate with the enemy, and no prove tht he ever killed any women or children. beside every great man is blames for what his army did without his approval, the darawish might did some mistakes but i am sure it was never with his approval...

the man was god fearing sheikh who gave his life for freedom not you or those who named him mad mula or anyone else could deny him that. Even the Kufar called him MULA which means man of god or religious man, why did call him that because he refused all their temptations and offerings which would made him rich and powerful man, instead he said to them my religion do not allow me to sell my dignity and the dignity of my people, he died as a refugee? that is just far from the truth, he was injured in the war and died cause of that inquiry, read again... he died broke maybe alone perhaps but it was his choice and to please Allah, sister there is no doubt that the man was far from being criminal, and comparing him to today's warlords is not only unfair and injustice it is also takes the credibility from your words and shows your lack of reasoning, Allow to Apologize for those words but sis saying he was talented but criminal is just unfair, everything he did he did it for Somalia and Somalis, i repeat it was all for Somalis sake and it is obvious that all he wanted was the acceptance of Allah and good deeds. Allah's mercy on him...

and you are totally entitled to your opinion and I do respect your point of views but please lets support our arguments with facts not what people say, and i repeat his poems were his journal and propaganda is part of the war and planting fear in the heart of traitors is important, he was threatening them but never proven that he killed women and children...prove me wrong with strong evidences.. peace

Bulo......Most somalis who discredit the Sayyid mostly do so cuz their qabiil fall out in favor with Darwish movement. I hope you are not discrediting his efforts to fight the invaders just cuz yoy feel your qabiil was victimized by his forces. The sayyid had noble idea of uniting all somali speaking tribes of the horn. Some choose to join him, others decided otherwise. In all conflicts, decisions carry consenquences. In a war for survival and independence, those who didn't join the darwish movement were seen as the freinds of the enemy. This is how ppl were judged on depending on allegiance. The sayyid certainly did lot of mistakes by killing and antoganozing the very people who he was trying to free. Perhaps, there are times who should have communicate to his ppl not through the sword, but through his feelings. The man yearned and fought for free and independent united Somalia. It is for this many somalis admire for.

P.S. My grandfather, along with two of his sisters were the only family members that survived during the darwish campaigns in Nugaal and Hawd. As descendent of someone whom Darwish movement has affected so close, i have no hatred towards the Sayyid or his Darwish.

OG Moti   

Che cheavora brother ... well said, let me add this my grandfather was killed by the Darwish cause he refused to join based on tribe, cause of ignorance, those who came against him did not look the big pecture their minds were so narrowed that they could not see the concept he was promoting instead they focused "ina heber wants to rule us, while we are from hebel qabiil"

beside leaders are suppose to make decisions when when ever they face a certain unfavourable situations, and the correctness or wrongfull of the dicision is not relevant, let me give me an example: For those who did not join the Darwish movement were considered the enemy's friend like che said, so the leader has to make decisions what are the options:

a. communicate - time may not allow or it may not be the style of the leadership

b. Remove them - not very modern leadership style but it solves the problem

c. ignore them - some leaders do, but it causes for there own damages

SAYID compined both b,and c, and that is why he lost the war plus other factors such as lack of weapons and the power status of the enemy, but he tried and he was the main reason for somali freedom even it happen after 40 years cause then the enemy was sure somalis do not take $hit from now one.. and many others followed his steps like the SYL young fellows.. VIVA Somalia and those who fight for, and Death to Warlords and anyone who approves them ... peace

bilan   

salaam

oh my god what did i do to myself :D , og-girl i have been in this forum longer than most people and my posts are less than 200,so it is very strange that you would accuse me looking for attention just because i do not agree with you, and FYI bulo is female somali name,i do not like name calling and accusations, if you have something to say about him then do so without making this personal. and again i'm telling that i'm not attacking him, he is not normal person like me and you but a public figure, it is the right of every somali to talk about him.

Originally posted by Che-Guevara:

The sayyid certainly did lot of mistakes by killing and antoganozing the very people who he was trying to free. Perhaps, there are times who should have communicate to his ppl not through the sword, but through his feelings. The man yearned and fought for free and independent united Somalia. It is for this many somalis admire for.

this is what i want, all i'm trying to say is that do not try picture him as you(his fan) would like to see him but as he was, he had pros and cons. i'm not against him because his victims were my tribe or anything like that,i can honestly say that i'm able to think beyond the tribe thing, and because i'm somali does not mean everything i know come from my tribe, why is that whenever we(somali)say something has to be linked to the tribe!!!. but i believe honest history, and if we are talking public figure like him tell him as he was so people can learn from his mistakes. og-moti unless you are joking you know that somlia did not have written language untill 1972 and most of his victims were nomads, so they did not write their nightmare, but it survived through the years by telling their children, and their children,so on, i can prove that he killed entire villages, but the question is would you believe it? if someone tells you that he killed his/her grandparents, grand uncles/aunts and he(the sayid) knew all that cause they were captured and taken to his headquart would you believe it? are you ready to accept that your hero had women and childrens blood in his hand?,if not what will make you believe that he really killed innocent people that is if you are really trying to find the truth about him? i do not know that how would you justify that it is ok to destroy entire villages,to orphan kids, just because they did not agree with him!!.you keep saying jihad jihad... what if people saw him as dictator hiding behind the jihad, and they did not want to follow him is that automatically makes them kufar. and some of his poems and how describes certain woman's private parts because her father changed his mind about giving her to him for marriage, and calling her slut etc, i do not think that is what someone who knows religion let alone sheikh would say. i do not want to repeat myself but let's tell the whole story its good and bad, let's tell his achievements and also his victims, how many gaaloos he killed and and how many muslims and let the people decide whether he was a hero or criminal.

OG Moti   

First of all sister BULO you are so right we should not get personal, if you felt tht way my Apologies, secondly he was not my hero, he is simply Somali hero... few points i would like to discuss, so please do not judge before you understand my words:

1. Sayid's Darwish did some random killing

even my grandfather being killed by them wont change their noble purposes for somalis, they were fighting for Somali freedom, and every leader makes a mistake otherwise leaders would be humans. I hope we all agree on that, the good they did was much higher than their faults.

2. Quite -Storm - your article?

I read it and I am not surprised, as bulo Somali pass history from generation to generation by mouth which is true and which makes them so well aware of major events and realize if the history altered or not, of course I hope even bulo agrees with me information passed by mouth wont be accrued since every story teller would add his passion into subject for many reasons, it could be to get attention of the audience, or any other hidden agendas. Anyway way my points are the following concern to Quite -Storm suggested article

Note: Admin this is not tribe issue, mentioning names of tribes was an avoidable matter- i hope you will understand

taken from the article that Quite-storm suggested:

the effort was spearheaded by the Somali dervish resistance movement. The dervishes followed Mahammad Abdille Hasan of the puritanical Salihiyah tariqa (religious order or brotherhood). His ability as an orator and a poet (much-valued skills in Somali society) won him many disciples, especially among his own Dulbahante and Ogaden clans (both of the ******* clan-family). The British dismissed Hasan as a religious fanatic, calling him the "Mad Mullah."

that is far from the truth, a lot of Ogaden clan were against him, so the article is bias and shows tribalism, and very weak argument and unpleasant way of presenting facts,

- his darwish were from all Somali clans and the article is trying to discredit the Sayid's achievements in Somaliland, and concentrating on certain clans in Somaliland shows the biasness and alteration of history...

- one more important fact, the article says that he had peace agreement with the British? and looting and many other hard to believe stuff about SAYID.. we all know looting and attacking other tribes has been Somali tradition and still is...but the man was freedom fighter and we all know the British offered him deals that no one can refuse but he did turn them down and continued the resistance..

The man was a leader, and leaders do make mistakes, but my point here is 90% of Somalis took him as a hero, indeed he was, and what is sad is that South Somalia valued him more than north Somalia where he did most of his resistance,

is it that his jealous Somali enemies managed to spread their lies about him in north? or could it be that they just did not understand the concept of his movement which SYL impressed, understood and used for their own motivation for seeking independency... which was granted to them..

I conclude this topic with a question that I would like every SOL member to answer with honesty, and integrity.

WAS HE A SOMALI HERO? YES OR NO

And if no Why 90% of Somalis and the colonizing forces consider him so?

My answer is indeed he was a hero, and my own opinion is that he was the father of Somalia, the great Somalia..

Peace

AYOUB   

OG Moti, I will answer your question honestly, i don't know about integrity part ;) .

M A Hassan was dainted hero and a flawed genious. No one doubts he fought a noble cause with nothing but good intent for all Somalis. We must not down-play or forget the harm he did to Somalis who did not agree with him. Most heroes of Islam (including the Prophet SAW and Salaxdiin) signed agreements with their enemies a fact which most of Mullah's follewers never accepted. If we only 'judge' people by fights they had with foreigners, then Gen. Caydiid too becomes one. Someone who has not seen of felt Caydiid's nasty side might consider him a total hero. I think it was right to fight with and against these two men.

OG Moti   

Brother Ayoub thanx for your answer, however do you really think Caydid could be compared with Sayid Mohamed abdulle hassan? ofcourse brother i dont not base my judgment of fightings only, and i did not say signing agreement is bad, anyways Sayid with his mistakes he wanted to unite somalis, and Caydid actually his initial purpose was to unite somalis but my own opinion is that he followed the saying of "If you can not beat them, join them!!" he turn a wrong turn, but that is my opinion i could be ofcourse totally wrong.. but thanx brother for your answer.. peace

qoslaaye   

the true and only leader we have known was sayid mohamed a hassan. if you dont believe me check out the biggest history collection of the world.

every leader has short comings and he was not exception to that, but indeed he worked hard for the moslems in east africca, and the world.

og-girl good luck and love ya ok