Sign in to follow this  
Ashkiro

Remembering Aisha Ibrahim Duhulow

Ashkiro   

Her legacy shall never be forgotten I'A. I have contacted many agencies, haven't recieved any emails back as of now. If any of you have information regarding this young girl please do send me a message. Thank you. May Allah Bless Aisha! And her killers rot in hell!

31 October 2008

Contrary to earlier news reports, the girl stoned to death in Somalia this week was 13, not 23, Amnesty International can reveal.

Aisha Ibrahim Duhulow was killed on Monday, 27 October, by a group of 50 men who stoned her to death in a stadium in the southern port of Kismayu, in front of around 1,000 spectators.

Some of the Somali journalists who had reported she was 23 have told Amnesty International that this age was based upon a judgement of her age from her physical appearance.

She was accused of adultery in breach of Islamic law but, her father and other sources told Amnesty International that she had in fact been raped by three men, and had attempted to report this rape to the al-Shabab militia who control Kismayo, and it was this act that resulted in her being accused of adultery and detained. None of men she accused of rape were arrested.

“This was not justice, nor was it an execution. This child suffered a horrendous death at the behest of the armed opposition groups who currently control Kismayo,” said David Copeman, Amnesty International's Somalia Campaigner.

“This killing is yet another human rights abuse committed by the combatants to the conflict in Somalia, and again demonstrates the importance of international action to investigate and document such abuses, through an International Commission of Inquiry.”

Amnesty International has learnt that:

Aisha Ibrahim Duhulow was reported as being 23, based upon a judgement on her physical appearance, according to one of the journalists who had reported the stoning. Her actual age was confirmed to Amnesty International by other sources, including her father.

Her father said she had only travelled to Kismayo from Hagardeer refugee camp in north eastern Kenya three months earlier.

She was detained by militia of the Kismayo authorities, a coalition of Al-shabab and clan militias. During this time, she was reportedly extremely distressed, with some individuals stating she had become mentally unstable.

A truckload of stones was brought into the stadium to be used in the stoning.

At one point during the stoning, Amnesty International has been told by numerous eyewitnesses that nurses were instructed to check whether Aisha Ibrahim Duhulow was still alive when buried in the ground. They removed her from the ground, declared that she was, and she was replaced in the hole where she had been buried for the stoning to continue.

An individual calling himself Sheik Hayakalah, was quoted on Radio Shabelle saying:``The evidence came from her side and she officially confirmed her guilt, while she told us that she is happy with the punishment under Islamic law.'' In contradiction to this claim, a number of eye witnesses have told Amnesty International she struggled with her captors and had to be forcibly carried into the stadium.

Inside the stadium, militia members opened fire when some of the witnesses to the killing attempted to save her life, and shot dead a boy who was a bystander. An al-Shabab spokeperson was later reported to have apologized for the death of the child, and said the milita member would be punished.

Background

Amnesty International has campaigned to end the use of the punishment of stoning, calling it gruesome and horrific. This killing of Aisha Ibrahim Duhulow demonstrates the cruelty and the inherent discrimination against women of this punishment.

The reports on this killing should be understood within the climate of fear that armed insurgent groups such as al-Shabab have created within the areas they control in Somalia. As Amnesty International has documented previously, government officials, journalists and human rights defenders face death threats and killing if they are perceived to have spoken against al-Shabab, who have waged a campaign of intimidation against the Somali people through such killings.

Since the death, a number of individuals have told Amnesty International they have fled from Kismayo out of fear of suffering a similar fate to Aisha Ibrahim Duhulow.

money   

this is a huge injustice and as I heard she is from a very marginalized clan. The so-called Islamic thugs are criminals. period. She was a child and raped by three militia men who probably are part of these so-called Islamic thugs.

money   

this is a huge injustice and as I heard she is from a very marginalized clan. The so-called Islamic thugs are criminals. period. She was a child and raped by three militia men who probably are part of these so-called Islamic thugs. I have every right and legitimacy to voice not only my anger and disgust but to oppose against these bearded thugs. What circumstances you are talking about? She was 13 year old child, raped by three militia men ( probably from Hiraale's/ Al-Shabaab gangs).

NASSIR   

All I have to add into this tragic day of unfair trial and corporal punishment to which the young girl had to go through and the excrutiating pain and suffering in her final moments is that the Islamists have straitened the broad mercy of Allah. They have become violently immoderate, merciless self-styled clerics. Though it's becoming widespread knowledge of the charges that their use of our religion as a political tool, that what is really unacceptable is their whimsical tenacity to experiment, for the first time, the Shariah, when the whole nation is wrecked by outstanding unresolved cases/issues of clan feuds. it's time that we condemn in the harshest terms the pent-up charges that the murdered child was subjected to in the absence of her parents and relatives. She even resisted and wept profusely the militias who dragged her into the stadium.

Dragging our weary and sick society into their own tyrannical terms is the impending ruin of our society--traditionally free, independent and egalitarian.

NASSIR   

Somali girl stoned to death after rape claim

The Associated Press

Tucson, Arizona | Published: 11.02.2008

Mogadishu Somalia — A 13-year-old girl who said she had been raped was stoned to death in Somalia after being accused of adultery by Islamic militants, a human-rights group said.

Dozens of men stoned Aisha Ibrahim Duhulow to death Oct. 27 in a stadium packed with 1,000 spectators in the southern port city of Kismayo, Amnesty International and Somali media reported, citing witnesses. The Islamic militia in charge of Kismayo had accused her of adultery after she reported that three men had raped her, the rights group said.

Initial local media reports said Duhulow was 23, but her father told Amnesty International she was 13. Some of the Somali journalists who first reported the killing later told Amnesty International that they had reported she was 23 based upon her physical appearance.

Calls to Somali government officials and the local administration in Kismayo rang unanswered Saturday.

"This child suffered a horrendous death at the behest of the armed opposition groups who currently control Kismayo," David Copeman, Amnesty International's Somalia campaigner, said in a statement Friday.

Somalia is among the world's most violent and impoverished countries.A quarter of Somali children die before age 5; nearly every public institution has collapsed. Fighting is a daily occurrence.

Islamic militants with ties to al-Qaida have been battling the government and its Ethiopian allies since their combined forces pushed the Islamists from the capital in December 2006.

In recent months, the militants appear to be gaining strength.The group has taken over the port of Kismayo, Somalia's third-largest city, and dismantled pro-government roadblocks.

Source: AP

Ashkiro   

Money walaal if there is any marginalized clan it's women. I have learned stoning occured in Hergesia in which 4 girls were stoned to death in the mid-90s for "Zina", and that is just one example. Have you ever and this is a serious question, ever heard of any man that was stoned to death for committing adultery? I certainly haven't and I am damn sure neither has anyone else. That alone tells me there is serious haterd against women coming from these "religious figures", and this is not false accusations made by the "enemies of Islam" but the ugly truth in "Muslim" Countries. It's very sad.

ANTARA   

Islam is laden with a beautiful wisdom these al-shabaab charlatans are bound not to understand.

For any body to be punished for adultery there has to be 2 witnesses who saw everything.

It is almost impossible for two people to witness such an action in such a detail so long the society has some iimaan.

On the other hand, the severity of the punishment is a deterrent and is mostly symbolic to show where religion stands on such matters.

Ilaahey taa yar danbigeed ha dhaafo oo janada ha geliyo .. amiin

This tragic event is way and beyond politicized. Some groups and people have just got on their plate waxee endlessly ku dacaayadeyaan their political foes. What 'legacy' would a mere 13-year-old girl, as the article says, would have? Kamoon.

I am no friend of Shabaabs and wixii lamid ah, but it is obvious some are just using this case further to take a shot at them.

Only Eebbe knows the true, merciless injustices ka dhacaayo dalkeena maalin walba, and very few Western media outlets waste both print ink and bandwidth reporting about this endless tragedy dalkeena ka dhacaayo. One aborted injust justice by their "Islamist" foes, and endless qoraalo about it. They have an agenda, and one should not follow blindly without all having the facts. I didn't comment this topic beforehand and I still didn't want, laakiinse some of us are blindly buying their blatant propaganda.

This poor young girl Eebba ha u naxariisto, which ee Gacantiisa ku jirto. Anyone xaqdaro ku kufsaday, as alleged, and any xaqdaro ku dilay Eebba's justice ayee face gareynayaan.

roobleh   

This is one of the situations that I wish the word "but" would completely disappear from the vocabulary and refuse to be used.

The problem in here lies in muslims people generally been ignorant about the law of islam, so we judge islam based on the actions of human beens who are waek in themself.Anyway my advise for the somali people is to stict to the book of Allh And Sunnah upon the undewrstanding of SAlafus Salhi, beacuse in later time there appeared many groups who are causing corruptions and misgadiance, like these so call somalis shababs, the Scholars have warn the muslims about these groups who are cliaming that they are fighting in the way of allh when in realty the only people getting killed And blowing up are innocent mulims women, girls and men who have noothing to be blame for.