Sign in to follow this  
Faarax-Brawn

I HAVE A DREAM...

So today is MLK day. A day to look back into what Dr King and the rest of the civil rights MEN and WOMEN. Those who sacrificed their time,family commitments and lives so that WE(we wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for him) could live peacefully in an otherwise hateful,bigoted and hostile society. Just imagine some 40yrs ago a black kid was not allowed to attend colleges in states like Mississipi,Georgia,North & South carolina,Virginia, Alabama ,Texas Tennessee and most other southern states. Imagine if that law was never passed,would you(YES you qaxoti students) have attended these fine schools?

I know the DREAM Dr king envisioned has not entirely come true, as black people are still lagging behind . From economic standpoint to poor education to violence & jailbaits to juvenile crime and to police brutality and to higher rates of the HIV to divorce,drugs and deliquency.. Its hard,its tough for the black man even some 40yrs after the civil rights.But if they had there way,today you and i would probably not have been here. Or worse ALL black folks would i have been slaves and what not.

Thank you Dr King and the entire civil rights movement for making It easier on us.

Do you have a dream?

I thank Allah first, then I thank Dr.King for his dedication, pure vision, and for his undying dream of equality in the world. It is truely inspirational to celebrate his dream and acknowledge such true sacrifice. True, his dreams didnt completely come true but it didnt die either. Somalis truely need to acknowlege the struggles and the strifes of black America. It really amazes me when our people dismiss the racism issue as black- American issue yet dont even hesitate to shout Racist when they get a parking ticket redface.gif Really if it wasnt for them, we wouldnt have the chance for equal education and other opportunities, yet all we see are their drunkards,violence, and drug addicts: That isnt fair to us and to them. So we need to be more brotherly and stop the prejudice and superiority crap!

----------------------------------------------

Get Up!Up Even the best fall down sometimes

Do you have a dream?

Yes, ofcourse. My dream is to become a literature Professor and teach literature&humanity courses at higher education instutions. My long-term goal is to go back to my country and open my own private university. This insha'llah will be my grand contribution to the re-build of a new united Somali nation. Knowledge is power. Education is the key to better life and to a better future and Through schooling, we acknowlege our dreams and we aspire to be better. People are likely to exploit and bully you when you are in a state of ignorance. Therefore, we need to raise our awareness level and aim higher. We need to start a whole new game and arouse whole new region in our brain that we rarely use. So maryooley embrace yourselves, Z-iri University will soon be in session :D

-------------------------------------------------

ElPunto   

Originally posted by chocolate & honey:

I thank Allah first, then I thank Dr.King for his dedication, pure vision, and for his undying dream of equality in the world. It is truely inspirational to celebrate his dream and acknowledge such true sacrifice. True, his dreams didnt completely come true but it didnt die either. Somalis truely need to acknowlege the struggles and the strifes of black America. It really amazes me when our people dismiss the racism issue as black-
American
issue yet dont even hesitate to shout
Racist
when they get a parking ticket
redface.gif
Really if it wasnt for them, we wouldnt have the chance for equal education and other opportunities, yet all we see are their drunkards,violence, and drug addicts: That isnt fair to us and to them. So we need to be more brotherly and stop the prejudice and superiority crap!

----------------------------------------------

I totally agree that without MLK and the entire civil rights movement no person of colour anywhere in the West(it did not only affect America) would have the rights and freedoms they do now. That said, I don't know why you are criticising Somalis in such a general manner. They do need to be less racist for sure - but the fact is that so many(many, not all) black Americans have squandered the opportunities that their forefathers worked so hard for them to have. And worse, their entire social/family structure has broken down as never in their history exacerbating their problems. No one is superior to others - and Somalis shouldn't think that but thank God we have Islam as guidance at least and our family structure has not broken down as theirs has. I guess my issue is a matter of tone more than any real disagreement. ;)

Nephissa   

I for one am greatful he did what he did. Our lives although far from perfect are better than what they would have been had he not did what he did.

Jafarel.   

I thank Allah first, then I thank Dr.King for his dedication, pure vision, and for his undying dream of equality in the world

Sis, where are the efforts of the Prophet (SAW), sahaabah and the pious precedesors? Why dont they get a 'thank you'?. What has MLK done for you and Islam?..Nothing. What has he done for me and Islam?..Nothing. He fought for his rights and those of 'black' brothers/sisters in America. He died a kaafir and his fate lies with Allah Most High. He gets none from me.

And Allah knows best.

Upon you be peace..

but the fact is that so many(many, not all) black Americans have squandered the opportunities that their forefathers worked so hard for them to have. And worse, their entire social/family structure has broken down as never in their history exacerbating their problems

Walaalo that is the point I'm trying to refute if you hear the drums well. And I didnt say All somalis are racist. Rather I said it makes me sad when our people do that(and it is a given fact that majority of Somalis dont consider themselves African or from the black race hence dont concern themselves with such issues unless it concerns them particulary). And walaalo what rights or opportunities are we discussing here? It is all sugar-coated. If you dropp the judgement-attitude and truely look at the situation they are in, you will see it is designed to exhoust them. How can you succeed in a society whose consitution is designed to keep you at a poverty level? Truely they are conditioned to fail tragically. And dont even put yourself in their shoes(that is a mistake we make)because you can never comprehend their losses.

You might be comparing yourselves against them telling yourself that you are in a worse position than them.. eg. being immigrant, minority, and Muslim. And this is where the majority of us miss the whole picture hence encouraging their prejudice. You can only compare yourself to them if you were enslaved(and not only phsically), seen your father/brother/husband/grandfather or mother dragged to jail, forced to do demeaning jobs, publically humilitated, and forced to take rations from the same people who tought you you are worthless... the list goes on. The main point is: Black people are doing the best they can to move forward but unfortunetly the society they live have the habit of shamefully magnifying their probmlems. 45% of the homicides committed takes place in the suburban by a white person, why is it you only see the black poor kid who got busted for shoplifting on the News? Com ooooooooon pay attention! :mad:

---------------------------------------------

excuse me walaalo. are u for reall? what is the role of saxaabah and the prophet(ppuh) in 1950's christian-black America civil rights movement? Ina abti you just want to urgue but I got news for you, dont get me involved plz. and plz dont dragg our religion into this misconception of yours.Try to understand the dilema before you reply, ok.

Sisters Bisharo & Choco-Malab as well as Pointman,thanks for the replies & the positive vibe you are dishing out on this very IMPORTANT day in the calender of all COLORED peoples.

Happy MLK day folks. I am certainly enjoying the extra treatment am getting today@ my workplace,lol

what is the role of saxaabah and the prophet(ppuh) in 1950's christian-black America civil rights movement? .

^^

Lol. You are something else choco-honey.Anyway just leave Jaffy chaffy jafarel alone. He obviously has no love for the "Gaalo Black" folks who were raped,beaten,killed and denied freedom for so many years. His Religion doesnt care about that.[Coz i know islam does care]

ElPunto   

quote: but the fact is that so many(many, not all) black Americans have squandered the opportunities that their forefathers worked so hard for them to have. And worse, their entire social/family structure has broken down as never in their history exacerbating their problems

Walaalo that is the point I'm trying to refute if you hear the drums well. And I didnt say
All somalis are racist. Rather I said it makes me sad when our people do that(and it is a given fact that majority of Somalis dont consider themselves African or from the black race hence dont concern themselves with such issues unless it concerns them particulary). And walaalo what rights or opportunities are we discussing here? It is all sugar-coated. If you dropp the judgement-attitude and truely look at the situation they are in, you will see it is designed to exhoust them. How can you succeed in a society whose consitution is designed to keep you at a poverty level? Truely they are conditioned to fail tragically. And dont even put yourself in their shoes(that is a mistake we make)because you can never comprehend their losses.

You might be comparing yourselves against them telling yourself that you are in a worse position than them.. eg. being immigrant, minority, and Muslim. And this is where the majority of us miss the whole picture hence encouraging their prejudice. You can only compare yourself to them if you were enslaved(and not only phsically), seen your father/brother/husband/grandfather or mother dragged to jail, forced to do demeaning jobs, publically humilitated, and forced to take rations from the same people who tought you
you are worthless
... the list goes on. The main point is: Black people are doing the best they can to move forward but unfortunetly the society they live have the habit of shamefully magnifying their probmlems. 45% of the homicides committed takes place in the suburban by a white person, why is it you only see the black poor kid who got busted for shoplifting on the News? Com ooooooooon pay attention! :mad:

---------------------------------------------

Chocolate - Are you saying that because tons of bad things happened to Blacks in America - that they are excused from rising and grasping the opportunities available to them? It seems to me you have the victim mentality - please correct me if I am wrong. This is what I find inexcusable:

An immigrant from East Asia - who doesn't speak a word of English - is unfamiliar with the culture, the society, the institutions - comes to America - works at some minimum wage job - goes to night school - learns - then gets a scholarship to an Ivy League university - gets numerous degrees - and finds a high-paying perstigious job.

Meanwhile - the people who have been here for 400+ years are squandering the opportunities that others are grasping. I CANNOT sympathize. I can sympathize with the degradations of slavery, Jim Crow, Civil Rights etc but wasting the opportunities those battles enabled you to recieve - SHAMELESS.

BTW - your statistic on crime maybe correct but the better question is: Why do black men make up 50% or some such number of people in jail when blacks comprise 12% of the US populations??? Now that is something that requires a better explanation than 'Society is keeping me down'.

Jacpher   

The main point is: Black people are doing the best they can to move forward but unfortunetly the society they live have the habit of shamefully magnifying their probmlems.

I think some black leaders including Bill Cosby would disagree. Black communities are not doing enough to advance themselves in society. Blaming the whiteman does not make the problems go away.

Farax Brownie: You’re celebrating MLK Day at work? I guess some companies would never observe such holiday.

An immigrant from East Asia - who doesn't speak a word of English - is unfamiliar with the culture, the society, the institutions - comes to America - works at some minimum wage job - goes to night school - learns - then gets a scholarship to an Ivy League university - gets numerous degrees - and finds a high-paying perstigious job.

Meanwhile - the people who have been here for 400+ years are squandering the opportunities that others are grasping. I CANNOT sympathize. I can sympathize with the degradations of slavery, Jim Crow, Civil Rights etc but wasting the opportunities those battles enabled you to recieve - SHAMELESS

Point dude,i think the answer lies right there in your comparison example. If someone from the outside seems to do fine & those born in the'Miserable zone' seem to do fairly bad,then it is an inside issue. I mean how else would you explain this example?

From your comparison,you would(Hopefully) agree with me that it has a lot(Or to some extent) to do with the PAST opressive,bigoted and racist history of the USA government and dixie state governments?

If you dont think otherwise,then what do you think is the cause of your asian-African-American example?

I hope you are not insunating that black folks are lazy and all those white man stereotypes

Jafarel.   

He obviously has no love for the "Gaalo Black" folks who were raped,beaten,killed and denied freedom for so many years. His Religion doesnt care about that.[Coz i know islam does care]

' You (O Muhammed (SAW)) will die and they will die too'.(Aayah).

Whatever the 'whites' did in the 1950's, I dont approve. Their crimes (raped,beaten,killed and denied freedom for so many years...) go without say. They indeed were evil. I for 1 will not thank MLK. Intead I thank Allah for giving the 'blacks' their freedom. MLK deserves his place in history, but why celebrate his life???? The life most worthy of celebrating is that of Muhammed Ibn Abdullah Ibn Abdul Mutalib, Messenger of Allah (SAW).

His Religion doesnt care about that

. Farah Brown sxb, obviously u didnt see at the end of my post the words: 'And Allah knows best' for you to question religion. Fear Allah and 'shoot not without aiming'.

And Allah knows best.

jaffarel,i understand walaalo. Inshallah as muslims,we always thank ALLAH for his mercy and might. We also constantly remind ourselves of the struggles of the saxabah and our prophet SAW. Indeed we need to thank ALLAH for all he does,for without him nothing goes. And thanks for your reminder walaal,inshallah we will heed the advice and constantly remind each other of ALLAHs will power.

However,we are discussing a BLACK leader that has had significant role in our lives,both as refugees and as colored folks living in the diaspora. He and many brave colored folks as well as white folks,suffered alot so that we can enjoy the lil things we take for granted today that were not allowed for black folks.

Simple things like pulling into a gas station and pumping gas to major things like mob lynching simply becoz of the skin of your color. I think it is very irresponsible of you to dismiss it with such carelessness,as this historical moment has changed LOTS OF LIVES,including many many muslims who are now spreading and propagating Allah's religion freely and without any fear.

Please ponder on that for a minute,look into the positive aspect of this,instead of the obvious stuff.