Sign in to follow this  
Resistance

Want to become a Mentor?

So SOL memebers ... you all bursting with a wealth of a experiance and are determined to benefit others. Well i suggest u start closer to home, start mentoring your young siplings/cousins or close relations .. they need us more than anyone.

Yesterday i went along with my little cousin to his school's ( and my ex school too ) parents evening .. and just by talking to his teachers u realise how a little help @ home could make a major difference to how well he does in his education.

Am sure some of u have alredy taken steps to help out their young relations ... but the rest of us will need to take our responsibilities a bit more serious ( moi included ) .. spending one evening a week just to review their school work and giving advice will make a huge difference to a child .. in particular teenagers who are very

Is Time we stop blaming the parents for being incomepenant and faliling their kids ... they are our siplings/cousins/family too .. and if we been through the system then is our prime responsibility to make their road is smooth.

Maf Kees   

When I was in high school, I used to help out my younger brother and cousins with their homework. I would once in a while sit down with them and ask how they're doing and discuss their results on passed exams or something. You know people need a 'big brother' to get out that little extra extra, that special somethin' somethin' and build up some confidence like: I can do this!. I didn't have that when I entered high school, being the only Somali and all. But I had a great time, sometimes not so good grades and a lot of detention, but it all went very well.

Now being in Uni, I'm the Benjamin who gets all the help from the older Somali bros. Tips and advice, you know the usual stuff. Once in a while, we sit down together in the cafetaria and sit there for hours in a row just talking boolshidh. The Dutch students think we're fighting or something, it's hilarious. Especially the older students in their 30s are straight up comedians.

-Lily-   

^^ Sounds like fun.

Hizb, it is a good idea and I think or hope many of us already do that. I help out my 4 cousins plus a family friend with their GCSE & A level English every Sunday. Sometimes all they need is advice or examples to build up their confidence.

I recently watched a BBC programme that stated 50% of GCSE students get help with their coursework from their parents or personal tutors, and about 30% of them let their parents do the work completely for them. Well, no wonder Somali kids are not doing as well