Sign in to follow this  
Jamilah

Tearful journey...

Jamilah   

Asalamu Calykum my fellow nomads,

"Siamese twins die

Neurosurgeons separated 29-year-old Iranian twins born joined at the head after two days of delicate surgery, but both sisters died shortly after their parting.

The hospital announced Ladan Bijani's death, then, a few hours later, a nurse involved in the surgery said her sister Lelah had died.

"Everyone upstairs is crying," said the nurse, speaking on condition of anonymity. "We treated them like family because they had been here for seven months."

Hospital officials did not immediately officially announce the second death.

Earlier, doctors said Ladan died after they were unable to stabilise her condition.

"As the separation was coming to a close, a lot of blood was lost. The twins were subsequently in a critical state," said Raffles hospital spokesman Dr Prem Kumar.

The risky, marathon separation procedure began on Sunday. Before the operation, doctors had warned that the surgery could kill one or both of the twins, or leave them brain-dead.

The brains of Ladan and Laleh Bijani were separate, but were nonetheless stuck together after years lying alongside each other.

Kumar had warned that controlling the bleeding and moving the twins from a seated position onto separate beds would be a big challenge, and that the condition of either twin would remain largely unknown until they wake up after surgery. The twins were seated during the operation.

As one of the final points of the separation procedure, surgeons cut a finger-thick shared vein from Ladan - leaving her to rely on a similar-sized vein taken from her right thigh that was grafted to her brain.

Rerouting the shared vein, which drained blood to their hearts, was considered one of the biggest obstacles in the surgery. German doctors told the twins in 1996 that shared vein made surgery too dangerous.

The team of doctors had to contend with unstable pressure levels inside the twins' brains just before they worked to uncouple the sisters' brains and cut through the last bit of skull joining them, Kumar said.

The sisters' brains had "to be teased apart very slowly," Kumar said. "Cut. Teased apart. Cut. Teased apart. In the process, you encounter a lot of blood vessels and other tissues."

He said surgeon worked "millimetre by millimetre."

Although the sisters knew the operation could kill one or both of them, they decided to face those dangers after a lifetime of living conjoined and compromising on everything from when to wake up to what career to pursue."

-------------------------------------------------

My Opinion and thoughts in this case:

As you all may be aware of the tearful journey family members and friends have faced. The two courageous sisters both with dreams and goals died. After closely following this case it came as a shock to me but i knew deep inside my heart there was no hope. After 29 years of being joined and having a shared vein the risks outnumbered advantages in the operation. I am no surgeon but it is obvious that they did not consider the risks throughly and when i say "they" i am referring to the surgeons. The vein in which was taken from Laden's thigh and that was inserted in her head was blocked and surely they had two distinct brians but they were 'stuck together".

These two points are great factors to the causes of the death of these women. I am not pointing fingers at people but this certainly could of been avoided. Sure, the sisters did want to go ahead with the operation but they probably were not aware of the risks on the same degree as the surgeons. Nevertheless what happend happend but i still pray for them and may they go to heaven.

Salaam

p.s Please feel free to share any of your opinions and thoughts on this matter.

Yeah, I think it's sad what happened to them. :(:(

But they owed it to themselves to try and separate and live happy lives. They (twins) were fully aware of the risks of doing this kind of surgery ..especially at such an age. Besides, it was a complicated procedures with 10 of the best doctors working on them. I admire the courage...to take a life-and-death risk like that.

Were they muslims ?

Changed   

ina alilahi wa ina ilahayhi rajicuun....walaalo there is no way this would have been avoided cuz allah had it all planned out and it was their day to go.......even the vain would not have been clotted there would have been another reason :( ......i personally think at 29 it was a little to late to dare take a surgery and also in iran where the doctors are not that well trainned :eek: .....

did y'll hear of the two puerto rican kids that just separated somewhere in the usa........they are still alive but one was in critical condition the last time i heard about him :(

Inaa lilaah waa inaa ileynaa raajicuun

Their deaths were truly heartbreaking. I was hoping the operation would succeed, but it wasn't to be. Knowning it was their time to go doesn't make one feel better. But I guess everything has its place and time. May Allah have mercy on them.

Modesty   

I admired their courage, both of them were 2 whole people with seperate interests but they were attached. One of the sisters wanted to be a lawyer but the other wanted to be a journalist, so one decided to go with the other to law school(and they did) because they had no choice but to get along.

Opinionated, yes they were muslims, and the whole muslim ummah throughout the world prays for them to be in a better place(I think Allah had better plans for them), may Allah take them to jannah, and let us follow,inshallah.

Mizz-Unique--the operation wasn't performed in Iran, it was in Singapore, but they had some of the best surgeons from the world operating on the twins.

Raxmah   

Inaa lilaah waa inaa ileynaa raajicuun

They must have been very courageous muslims.

How old were they? just curios.

-KIWI   

The twins had immense courage and determination to do what they did.They had lived difficult lives,i doubt i can ever put myself in their shoes it was heartbeaking to hear their depature may Allah reward them with the good news of paradise.They were patient for 29 years.

Xafsa   

Walaahi we have to give thanks to allah every day for making us complete..Alxamdu lilaah.

May allah have mercy on the 2 sisters.....it was their time to go.

"The brains of Ladan and Laleh Bijani were separate, but were nonetheless stuck together after years lying alongside each other."

I don't get that line.....they were born seperate but got stuck together because they were too close?...help me out here how does that happen?