Sign in to follow this  
Centurion

BBC Somali theme music

Read the first part of my sentence ;)

Also, not unlike most of us here i've grown up hearing this theme music, and it always sounded beautifully Somali to me.

i did smile.gif and i still don't get why on earth you would want to know where it's from.

it's like asking... what company makes santa's clothes... you just don't need to know!

Merry xmas! icon_razz.gif

it is actually quite beautifully somali. it reminds me of my dear ol' father *sigh*

mainly because he's the only one who listens to it every day.

I'm sure you have DS, here's the site , click on the 'Maqal' links on the right

Thats a flawed comparison GG, as you probably know!

E: Perhaps i should expand on that, what firm makes the clothes of some Santa is a lot less important than the 'identity' of the iconic theme tune of the longest serving, most listened to Somali radio station.

Originally posted by Scipio Africanus:

Thats a flawed comparison GG, as you probably know!

E: Perhaps i should expand on that, what firm makes the clothes of some Santa is a lot less important than the 'identity' of the iconic theme tune of the longest serving, most listened to Somali radio station.

Some Santa?? How very dare you. The clothes of Santa are not just clothes, they're the very essence of Santa. Without that red and white costume (and admittedly his beard) Santa would not be Santa. And Santa represents happiness and joy for millions of little disadvantaged orphan children who suffer from leukemia and malaria all around the world. What is that compared to some dodgy tune of some radio station listened to by some (for all the wrong reasons) skinny Africans!

Stop being so incredibly self-centred for once in your life, will you. And give some thought to all those ill, hungry, disadvantaged children.

God, I should become a UN Goodwill Ambassador. If Al Gore can win a Nobel Peace Award, I think i stand a fair chance.

GG, i was just about to remark on your frivolous post above when i realised it's Christmas eve tonight, so i thought i'd leave you be ;) , dont want to ruin the spirit of what must be a jubilant and joyous occassion for you :D

Bon Noel!

"GG, i was just about to remark on your frivolous post above when i realised it's Christmas eve tonight, so i thought i'd leave you be ;) "

I'm afraid you would've not been able to sink to my level anyway. Touche.

"dont want to ruin the spirit of what must be a jubilant and joyous occassion for you :D "

haha. thank you. indeed it is. then again, to a selfless, warm and uncorrupted soul like this, every day is jubilant, full of joy. it comes with thinking about others and things that really matter.

will you be watching dr who xmas special tomorrow?

Originally posted by Scipio Africanus:

Undeniably it is the most recognised tune in the Somali Diaspora, but does anybody know what it is, and where its from?

It is from Somaliland created by C/lahi Qarshe Allah ha u naxariistee ......

Some say the musical composition is based on Caraweelo's original, historical musical folk. I don't believe this crap, since I don't even believe Caraweelo existed iskaba dhaaf wax muusiga loo garaacee.

You had, however, just given me an idea: To download and save it as a ringtone. The cell phone's usual ringtone is the beautifully composed

The theme was probably written by a non-Soomaali, though solely intended for Biibiisii Soomaali. It is also a theme that instantly conjures up a recognition by the vast majority of Soomaalis. It also evokes out some childhood memories, men galab casariya ah shaah cabaayo, just before maqrib, waiting to listen Biibiisii at countless biibatooyin in Soomaaliya.

Saaxiib, you can have a flag, a 'national' anthem, a military force, etc, but that does not change the fact Waqooyi is part and parcel of Soomaaliya. There will not be any so-called border, imagined or otherwise. Soomaaliya is Soomaaliya, one of one.

If it helps you sleep well at night, there are some 'states' that practice and have what I mentioned above. The Canadian province of Quebec is one of them, having the whole nine yards, including an own internationally recognized flag, an own "national" language, an own "indepedence day" they celebrate each late June, heck even having their "National Assembly" legislature; participated [and still does] on its own merit the international Francophonie organization. All this does not officially change anything on the ground -- the province is still part of Kanada.

Mareykanka's states have their own organized military, but the states are still part of United States. You get my drift? :D

Heck, I welcome Waqooyi enter the World Cup tournament, as other non-state states Wales, Scotland and others do.

As long as they exist then they are the winners. Somaliland will never ever be a part and parcel of Somalia (well,non-existing Somalia).

Somalia is occupied for the moment and until it gets its freedom back then there is no Somalia.