Sign in to follow this  
Archdemos

Losing her faith

one of my friends from uni has just posted this on her facebook. Now i wont say who she is for obvious reasons. but this is her status:

XXXXXX: Doesn't really believe in religion anymore. The older I get the more I think this stuff is all made up. I think when u die you just die, there's no heaven and hell. I do believe in God, just not religion :)

as predicted all her muslim friends and non muslims have waged into the debate.

she then goes on to claim:

I just had a friend msg me to say my status is haram and unIslamic. This is what I meant by not being allowed to question Islam. If religion is going to stifle me and forbid me from exploring for myself then I don't want it.

the debate remains good natured and informative as alot of brothers and sisters give her valuable advice.

finally she says

I've heard the the line "Islam gave women so many rights 1400 years ago". Yeah but what about now? I want equality in MY day. I don't see what Islam, or any other religion, has done for women. All three major religions are patriarchal, written by men FOR men. If Islam didn't give men more rights than women I'd be more inclined to have faith in it.

it’s sad seeing an old friend take this route and she in part claims her enlightenment is a result of her Master’s programme which has instilled in her rigorous analytical skills.

Looks like she's made up her mind about religion and Islam in general. Maybe its a midlife crisis as she's hit 31 this year. I know women go through it much earlier then men :D

Somalina   

31 and midlife crisis! loads of bs. Yeah women go through it earlier than men but 31yrs old, c'mon!

About your friend losing her faith in Islam, there is nothing I can say that will change her mind, so I wish her the best in finding herself!

NGONGE   

^^ The first time I went to a night club, I did not even know it was a night club. I was a fresh qaxooti and joined a group of qaxootis on a night out. Once I was in, I looked around me and saw people dancing, music playing and drink flowing. I did not feel comfortable at all. I went and stood in a dark corner and watched my friends dance with fat old white ladies.

That's when the DJ put on "Losing my religion" by R.E.M! :D

Life is bigger

It's bigger than you

And you are not me

The lengths that I will go to

The distance in your eyes

Oh no I've said too much

I set it up

That's me in the corner

That's me in the spotlight

Losing my religion

Trying to keep up with you

And I don't know if I can do it

Oh no I've said too much

I haven't said enough

I thought that I heard you laughing

I thought that I heard you sing

I think I thought I saw you try

^^ :D:D

its sad but one has to let her go her own way. it seems more and more people are going down this route. she's not the first and certainly not the last.

N.O.R.F   

I went and stood in a dark corner and watched my friends dance with fat old white ladies.

:D:D

These things happen. People become intelligent enough to leave their religion but not intelligent enough to try and understand it FIRST. Funny thing is she wouldn't write a conclusion without doing her research if it was an essay/assignment. Somehow, she thinks that is not required on this occasion.

Adunyo!

NGONGE   

^^ I blame the mullahs. They pushed and pushed until we've reached this point. Now, the only way is backwords. You see it everywhere too! You see it here.

A&T wants music, dancing and no hand cutting. But stops short from leaving the whole game altogether.

KK gives an ultimatum and says if the faith means following a certain group, consider her out.

Razes talks about breastfed men!

Many others talk about Foreign ideas and Pakistani dress.

If things go on as they are, I dare wager that in twenty years time people will start looking down on mullahs and the conventional wisdom will be the one that your friend is advocating above (she's a pioneer, she is). Yet, it is a shame. A real shame.

Whether you disagree with her or not, you can't help but admire her intellectual integrity; her ability to think for herself freely, using all the tools of her education and experience to think through such questions. Bravo for her. smile.gif

N.O.R.F   

Mullahs? What Mullahs? I doubt she has paid attention to what Mullahs have said / say. It’s a case of getting bogged down in studies and falsely believing her own intelligence is enough to get her through life. In other words madaxeedaa ka weenaadey.

^ Speaking of the issue of haughtiness, I think the correlation between education and religiosity has been studied adequately. Less educated - and by extension, less intelligent - persons are more likely to be religious than their well-educated (presumably more intelligent) counterparts.

One study conducted at 21 elite US colleges and universities found that 60% of the professors said they were nonbelievers (either atheist or agnostic), yet 82% of the American public profess a belief in one diety or another. Surely, other factors are pertinent to this huge statistical difference. However,as one academic put it, "I'm not saying that believing in God makes you dumber. My hypothesis is that people with a low intelligence are more easily drawn toward religions, which give answers that are certain, while people with a high intelligence are more skeptical"

Gabadhu waxeedu kibir maaha ee malaha waa waxbarasho iyo caqli siyaaday.

she's intelligent but easily misled. i think Norf is right its a case of little knowledge being dangerous. She thinks her education has equipped her with the ability to fathom any situation and its caustaions and thus come to a conclusion.

what she doesnt realise ofcourse is the inherent bias within her narrative. The entire discourse is laced with the western perceptions of Islam. At one point she even cites cultural deviations from Islam such as honour killings etc. as proof of Islams backwardness.

she narrates the Quran but fails to add historical context.

There is a culture of godlessness in universities from pseudo-intellectual, and this has clearly influenced her.

what she fails to comprehend is that science and religion have alot in common in that i cannot prove god exists in the same way a scientist cant prove to me that antimatter is the main constituent of the universe. The similarities of the arguments at the core of religion and science is great.

deep down i think its an inferiority complex she has.

NGONGE   

^^ You're worse than Norf. :D

Archdemos, a culture of godlessness in universities? You're in the UK, saaxib. Surely it is quite the opposite. There is a culture of overzealous Islam in Universities (the Hezbu El Tahrir legacy).