Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Eclipse set to be 'best in years'

N.O.R.F   

Skywatchers eagerly awaiting Saturday's total lunar eclipse say that the spectacle could be the "best in years".

The eclipse begins at 2018 GMT, with the Moon totally immersed in the shadow of the Earth between 2244 and 2358 GMT.

During "totality", only light that has been filtered through the Earth's atmosphere reaches the Moon's surface, making it appear a reddish colour.

The eclipse will be visible from the whole of Europe, Africa, South America, and eastern parts of the US and Canada.

"They are beautiful events," said Robert Massey, spokesman for the UK's Royal Astronomical Society.

"They have a really romantic feel to them as you look up because the Moon, which is normally pearly white, takes on this reddish colour."

He added that it was totally safe to observe and no protective filters were needed because the Moon would actually be less bright than during a normal full moon.

See where the eclipse will be visible

Mr Massey encouraged everyone to witness the "spectacular" event.

"It is like Mars suddenly coming a thousand times closer and just hanging there in the sky above you."

Lunar eclipses occur when the Sun, Earth and Moon are in a near-perfect line in space.

The Moon travels through the long cone-shaped shadow that the Earth casts in space. At totality, the only light reaching the Moon's surface at this point has been refracted through the Earth's atmosphere.

The appearance of the lunar surface varies according to how much dust is in the Earth's upper atmosphere. For example, following major volcanic eruptions, the Moon appears to be a deep red and almost invisible.

As there have not been any recent sizeable eruptions, astronomers are predicting that the Moon will be bathed in a bright orange light.

'Best in years'

Professional astronomers will also be enjoying the spectacle rather than worrying about any science, Mr Massey says.

"It is not like a solar eclipse where you get to see the outer atmosphere of the sun," explained Mr Massey.

"There were some people in the past who measured how different parts of the Moon cooled down as the Earth's shadow passed over it, but I doubt much of that work is going on now."

Robin Scagell, from the Society for Popular Astronomy, was hopeful that the event will be the "best in years".

"If the clouds stay away, it will be fascinating to watch the Moon's graceful movement through the shadow of the Earth," he said.

The last total eclipse visible from the UK was back in May 2004, but it was obscured by cloudy skies.

After Saturday's eclipse, the next to be seen over western Europe will take place on 21 February 2008, but in the middle of the night between 0300 GMT and 0400 GMT.

_42635571_eclipse416.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6411991.stm

N.O.R.F   

A time for prayer,,,,

It is He Who made the sun to be a shining glory and the moon to be a light (of beauty), and measured out stages for her; that ye might know the number of years and the count (of time). Nowise did Allah create this but in truth and righteousness. (Thus) doth He explain His Signs in detail, for those who understand.

10:5

Narrated by Abu Masud:

Allah's Apostle said, "The sun and the moon do not eclipse because of someone's death or life but they are two signs amongst the signs of Allah, so pray whenever you see them."

link

Solar/Lunar Eclipses and Islam

Ms DD   

I missed it. I was cleaning the house. It frightens me to think that i was sweeping the floor if it was doomsday.

Johnny B   

Originally posted by Cambarro:

I missed it. I was cleaning the house. It frightens me to think that i was sweeping the floor if it was doomsday.

Imagine that !! bonk.gif

Johnny B   

Cambaro, just went to lunch and you diden't hesitate to dunk in a punchline , come onnnnn, take off thoses defensive gloves , i was just venturing an idea , incase it was a Doomsday and you were sweeping the floor!. :D

Soomaaliya, especially Xamar iyo agagarkeeda, markuu dayaxa madoowaado, a special occasion ayee ahaan jirtay those nights, by ciyaalka.

Dab ayee shidi jireen ciyaalka. Waa laga kor boodi jiray several times. Markaas ka bacdina intee luubaan iyo xabag ku ridaan bahalka uunsiga lagu daaro ayaa xaafadaha lagu soo wareegi jiray, iyadoo wax lagu qeylin jiray. Waa ilooway waxee qaadi jireen.

Waayo waayo.