Sign in to follow this  
Bambina

Does stating your gender important when chatting online?

Bambina   

Salam Alaykum ,

Dear nomads , I need your opinions on this post because I found it very upsetting and funny at the same time , but first let me share my experience with you .

There were times in chatrooms ,when I used to state my gender , in this case female , when some people were asking me that question so they wouldnt confuse me with a guy or a girl. But because I stated my gender , some guys wanted to chat in private , which I found normal but not useful at all.

Since I didnt want to chat in private , I couldve easily lied and said that I was a guy in public but to me it was dumb to pretend to be a guy , even worst I wanted to avoid girls who would click on my nick to flirt with me by mistake ,lol.

So I decided not to answer when people asked me if I was a male or female , I just replied that I was neither a guy nor a female and I just watched the public's reactions.And what a flow of reactions ! Some didnt give a damn , which was cool but others started questionning my sexuality , some called me gay , others called me lesbian and of course some others stated that I was bisexual ,lol.

There was a particular guy who spent 1 hour insulting me in public , calling me names and to be honest got on my nerves. To piss him even further,I told him that the only reason he was harrassing me was because he wanted to flirt with me and not knowing my sex was making him mad.

Guess the results of me provoking him ? More flows of profanities , he has even forbidden me to write his nick in public because I was discusting him , while it was ok for him to curse me.

Some guys were astonished by his bad manners and told him to stop harassing and cussing me , they couldnt figure out why he wanted to know my gender , anyways the guy didnt stop.Oh boy it was hilarious !!! :D:D:D

I do understand if a guy wants to ask your gender to flirt with you , but I didnt know it was mandatory for some , even if you're just having a simple chat in public.The reason I posted this was because this incident just happened last night in a somali chatroom , I was surprised by some guys's behaviors even if I laughed my butt off.

I'd like to know if some of you nomads did this in a chatroom and what were the reactions of the public ? If not what do you think of my weird experience?

Qac Qaac   

Bombina what is the big fuss about your gender really. does it matter. i guess when u r there to chat with someone atleast u wanna know couple of things like who are u talking to. coz u wouldn't talk the same way with both a girl and a man.

to me if u didn't mention ur gender i would've tell u why u here then. aren't u here to chat..

but why make something easy so difficult. besides most of the time the way u talk ppl could pick up if u r a girl or not.

p.s. advice to u, if u don't wanna mention or say your gender then don't go to chat rooms. coz ppl will ask u a/s/l. 4 sure.

NGONGE   

Bambina, next time they ask you if you’re a man or a woman, tell them that you’re a highly intelligent parrot who uses its owner’s computer when he/she is not looking. Seriously though, people will always ask to know your gender. It’s a natural curiosity. I bet even you yourself wondered about a few people when you liked the way they wrote on online chat rooms.

I know this girl/guy that I’ve been talking to for a few months now. I’m not sure of his/her gender. So, sometimes I’ll flirt with him and her and sometimes I’ll discuss topics, which I usually feel comfortable only discussing with men!

It’s only words on a screen, words on a screen.

a/s/l plz...that's how the conversations start.

Bambina I think you are making fuss over nothing sis. You could've saved that brother time and also DAMBI if u've told him ur sex. what's the big deal? :confused: or maybe you liked the attention....

Bambina   

SAlam

I posted this topic to be read in an positive and funny way not get the opposite reactions.I always state my gender but I never thought that not stating it will come to that in a chatroom. I do not make a big fuss about it , it was sumthing weird that never happened to me which I wanted to share. I do know its not the end of the world because of that. :rolleyes:

OG_Girl   

Bambina, Happened with me a lot in somali chat rooms, I have female nick in chat rooms but my profile says I am Male , so what I found is people before they ask u any thing they check ur profile and some went as far telling me why I am using girl's nick since my profile says I am male!.About insulting part ... girl even if u tell them u r a girl but u don't want to private chat they still insult u .For me I don't care person I am chatting with whatever male or female, I don't even bother to ask them ...lol.

Girl, cheer, I loved ur topic :D

Salam

Iffah   

Bambina,

Use whatever name you like - but block your private next time (yes, it can be done!) & ..poof! Weirdos are gone (actually good luck dealing with them in public.) smile.gif

And that guy was a retard for dissing a name on a screen...what a ****** way to gain dambi and waste time eh? :rolleyes:

x_quizit   

Bambina, don't listen to those that take away ur right to say whatever u want to say or choose to disclose in a chatroom. NO, ur not responsible for someone calling u awful name, and NO, the dambi, is all on his side, u didnt make him do anything, and NO, u don't have to state ur gender, location, age, anything else, its all up to u...can't believe ppl are putting the blame on ur for excercising ur rights to do as u please! :mad: ..the nerve

It has happened to everyone me as well, and if i go to chatroom, i go there to speak in the general public, not to be bothered in a one on one session when i have absolutely no desire to talk to anyone in private. As someone else suggested it, block all ur privates, and only speak to those u want to, and speak in the general public room if u don't want to be stuck in a luuq with annoying questions. Sometimes they go so far as to ask ur address, fone, sexual history if at all, etc, etc, etc,...which is a reason i despise private rooms, because that is none of their biz to begin with and NO, a virtual stranger doesnt deserve any answer from me, for whatever reason, its my prerogative, as Bobby Brown said in the 80's. ;)

cheers!

i do that too accually, but i usually give in after 10 minutes of questionning. most times, after the 5th minute i can tell what the initial interest is (to mack, make a friend, or just to identify you). my name is very gender ambiguous an i kid alot so people are quicker to assume im a guy than a girl... ive accually had people here think i was a guy and send me p.m's. no attacks to speak of though, your case sounds highly amusing accually.