Sign in to follow this  
lol

Somaliya La Yaabkii Iga qabsaday!

Rokko   

Ayaanick, I will definetly brief ya as soon as possible.

Contact me about it when ya come back from Mankato.

lol   

Sorry guys I had a lot on my plate.. and was unable to response earlier...

I can't respond directly to each and everyone of you but will definitely give you a summed up briefing of the situations..

FGM:

Most of the NGOs located in Somalia have the eradication of FGM as their primary target, however our culture lays strong barriers with the religious scholars who tend to have strong hold on society having wrong perceptions of the whole NGO concept. Mainly what these NGOs do is, they have adopted a norm and their main participants are women since women are the ones that are affected by the process.. So they hold seminars, workshops and created integrated curriculums for the schools of primary education and Adult education, in this way the message of FGM and its live long problems can be passed down to many.

There are of course men who play important role as well in educating other men on FGM. Although the discussion of Women genital parts is still a taboo among the majority yet seminars on elimination of FGM has become somewhat acceptable, and more folks join as days goes by..

As for AIDS...It’s the biggest Taboo of our times. LST doctors do tell those that are diagnosed the truth however, the HIV positive person threatens the doctor to keep it confidential and never share it with anyone, and if the doctor doesn’t bide by that, he better have his/her “karfan” ready. The society is not ready to acceptance the existence of a disease that has no cure. And as I have stated previously, they don’t believe a Muslim can get it. The HIV positive people can’t dare declare their illness to their own families let alone the community. There were a couple who admitted to having contacted AIDS in Hargeisa on the Radio.. and guess what happened to them. They were kicked out of the Hotel they were in (they came from Burco), their house was smashed to rumbles, their families abandoned them.. and they were asked to leave their home country.. Now they reside in Ethiopia deprived of the last precious moments of peaceful death.

There might be many of you that don’t know what FGM does to girls.. so here are some of the problems faced by women who underwent the knife..

At the time of circumcision and before marriage:

· Nonstop bleeding ( some times causes death)

· Blockage of urinal tubes

· Tetanus

· Jamming of the menstrual period

At the wedding night

· Painful penetration (this in turn causes some wives to blame their husbands and some may end up hating them too)

During pregnancy:

· Prolonged labor

· In some cases inability to deliver babies (altering of the female genitals causes them to loose their natural elasticity thus forcing the butchering of the women all over again.. repetition of the circumcision process)

· Death of the mother/child

There are also many other problems such as formation of tumors in the ovaries due to the obstruction of the period.. since a small opening is left for the girls when they are circumcised, majority of the period blood that was supposed to be cleansed out remains in the uterus. Over period of time this contained dirty blood causes formation of tumors and uterus and bladder diseases.

TO THE SISTERS THAT HAVE BEEN CIRCUMCISED:

There is still help for you.. don’t assume its too late its not. You can still recover some of the damages… by going to your nearest hospital and asking for a simple operation. Tell your doctors to re-open the hole… and you can prevent majority of the problems…

Hope that covered it all… and if you guys still have suggestions/comments or questions just holla.. it may take me a while to respond coz I have a lot of things going on but I will certainly check SOL once a week…if not more.. till then salaama… And Good luck to my sisters..

Mobb depp: Aboowihiis email me the information on the Gurmad org.. and let me know what they stand for and what their goals are… my email is wahuuda@yahoo.com…. Thnx a bunch…

Xafsa   

There were a couple who admitted to having contacted AIDS in Hargeisa on the Radio.. and guess what happened to them. They were kicked out of the Hotel they were in (they came from Burco), their house was smashed to rumbles, their families abandoned them.. and they were asked to leave their home country.. Now they reside in Ethiopia deprived of the last precious moments of peaceful death.

That is sad walaahi. Its like Somalia is traveling backwards.

Even here in the states somali people wgi hav eit don't tell anyone...even if they are about to get married.

I heard the story of a somali couple that were about to get married...right before the whole thing was finalized someone told the groom that the bride had AIDS. He didn't believe it so they went to a shiekh together. The girl was asked about it and as it turns out when she was younger and still in somali her parents gave her away to a guy in America. the guy has AIDS but didn't tell anyone. Years later as he got sicker she went to a doctor who told her that she had HIV and that 10-15 years later the symptoms will manifest. She ended up divrcing the guy and leaving. Which doesn't make any sense to me....why would you want to go and infect poor innocent people?

Anywho...now she lives here in MNPls.

Sophist   

Hibooy waan ku tabney! meaning we missed you.

This is very sad news weeye. I am really captured great to the extent that I think I am going lose sleep over this Walaahi! 4 percent of the population in a Somali city is infected with HIV/AIDS or as they say Afar xarafle?

Walaahi xil weyn ayaa ina saaran; war go'a dhiisha hala isaga dhigo!.

Muraad: I swear when I first read dhiilo (war laga naxo) I knew some would misunderstand the meaning. Ka qalee Hibo genuine-ly ayeey uga xanaaqdey arinkaas e. Hibooy walaal, Muraad waa gentleman, wac aan xariir aheyn afkiisa kama eysoo degaan.

Haneefah   

This is shocking news walaahi! I can't believe the incidence rate is so high, and I'm assuming this rapid increase is just post civil war. And considering the fact that this is a third world country with basically no health care system...can AIDS become endemic in our country?

Subhanallah...and I can't imagine this horrible disease spreading to rural areas, where girls are given away so easily as long as some oday comes by with 50 or 100 halaad the most, not knowing what the hell he's infected with...or even worse, not even knowing if such disease exists at all...this is just sad!!!

Allahu manajina...may Allah protect us all!

Raxmah   

This is so sad, I dont even want to imagine that so many somalis being at risk to get aids, but its reality. There is this somali-italian girl in my school who has aids, she is trying so hard to educate the somali community on aids, but Somalis always hard headed beleive muslims can't get aids, I invited her to talk to girls at the Islamic School I work at, and got in trouble by the Somali "elders" becuase this topics shouldn't be discussed at all and blah blah blah. I just hope they realize soon that the reality of AIDS, and how it will effect the somali community if they go on acting they way they are going right now.

lol   

YUP! It is indeed happening..

You know what is funny??.. Our culture and how it facilitates for all kinds of diseases and abuse. Going back home was indeed educational for me but the most dusturbing was illiterate women who come from the rural areas to generate income for the family back in the baadiye. These young women have no families, and get no help from those residing in the cities. So they harbor with all kinds of low life scums that don't show mercy. They start to sell tea to the Jaad chewers and end up attending to their every need eventually. The parents of these girls know the situation of their daughters yet they entertain themselves with the thought that she is doing it for a "good cause". Imagine that!!

I may sound harsh or at times anger but our culture is something I am not proud of to tell you the truth. I have learned a lot these past two months and did alot of observation. We need to redefine our culture.. make changes.. and set examples for noble cause...

Till then time my friends adios..

Allaah! Are u telling us fiction, a dream or a history lesson? Bec it seems to me that it is not a personal experience but just a fictional account of a Folk-Story. U r smart and entertaining. Thanks.

Athena let me ask u. Was she raped (daba gur)? Did she realy went to Somalia? And Baadiyo at that? Nonsense, she is somewhere in Europe or Australia safe and sound and talking about Somalia with no respect for those suffering there! Shame on all those imposters. :mad:

its sad and hard to beleif. if galkayo is in that situation what about mogadishu with high level of rape especially the small girls. Allow sahal amuuraha.