Sign in to follow this  
Resistance

Average Somali familys' Income and expenditure

UK Famalies only: assumje the family consists of two parents, 5 kids.

weekly

INCOME:

* Income support ( for mum only) £57.20

* Child Tax Credit: £172.85

* Child Benefit: £69.60

* Wages for the dad: £375 ( bus driving pays decent)

TOTAL FAMILY INCOME: £674.65

EXPENDITURE: ( who spends in bracket)

* Ayuuto( it has other names) : £250 (mum)

* Loan repayment for Jewlery: £50 (mum)

* Spending on the new dirac: £70 (mum)

* Money back home: £70 (mum's family)

* Money back home: £40 ( father's family)

* Weekly shopping: £58.50(all the family)

* Chidlens' pocket money : £6.50 (kids)

* Petrol for car £25: ( he drives her around)

* Water, phone, elecricity, gas pill: £40

* Mobile pill: £15 ( one for him, one for her)

* The rest is unknown : £49.65 ( she spend it of course.

I think that in lots of families, the weekly income is a lot less than £674.65 (especially for single-parent families). That is, unless the kids are at an age where they can work part-time and contribute.

So, UK, what's behind this estimate?

I've always wondered how Somali families in the UK survive, it is so expensive and everything is paid weekly --- $600 barely covers run, so how do they pay for everything else --- most of them live in government housing i assume.

^^^ Farm, Housing benefit takes care of the rent.

Ahura: Stats show most Somali men work, while offically most women are single parents for Ceydh purposes.

Laba-X   
UK, your stats are flawed i say! £700-a-week is far too much for majority of family barely making it past subsistance level. As for the dads, majority of them either chose Qat as their new wife and abandoned their families, and the rest... well, Majority of Somali men do not work, and neither do their female counterparts. They rely on dole without having to render any services in return!

Khayr   

Originally posted by Hizb_UK:

UK Famalies only: assumje the family consists of two parents, 5 kids.

weekly

INCOME:

TOTAL FAMILY INCOME: £674.65

EXPENDITURE: ( who spends in bracket)

* Ayuuto( it has other names) : £250 (mum)

* Loan repayment for Jewlery: £50 (mum)

* Spending on the new dirac: £70 (mum)

* Money back home: £70 (mum's family)

* Money back home: £40 ( father's family)

* Weekly shopping: £58.50(all the family)

* Chidlens' pocket money : £6.50 (kids)

* Petrol for car £25: ( he drives her around)

* Water, phone, elecricity, gas pill: £40

* Mobile pill: £15 ( one for him, one for her)

* The rest is unknown : £49.65 ( she spend it of course.

Money sent back to somalia is done monthly or bi-weekly at the most.

670pounds a week=$1400 dollars a week.

Do you know much you can do with that amoutn of money?

UK folks are stinking rich, especially if there housing is already paid for.

JUSTICE   

what worries me the most is that most of them families break up somehow. Maybe because they lie too much about thier martial status, and so many things.

in my opinion this money is not Halal.

Talk about the Ceydh being halal. Few years back the women in my area got all religious and therefore started questioning wheather benefit was halal, so they asked a Somali sheik. He was educated enough and did some research on the matter, after few months his answer was is was deemed permisible to take this money as the survival of the family depended on it.

Basically his reasoning was that in this country one cannot live soley on the Income of the dad alone since rent is high and they had to sent money back home.

Personally i think lying about what Allah given u is haram no matter what the circumstances are. But saying that sometimes is makes economically sound to be on benefits, especially if u are a large family, but as long u don't lie about then is ok.

Anyways these days Tax Credits make life a lot easier and increasing number of families are going down this routine.

askme   

Assalamu caleykum

LIsten :eek: YOu gotto be bloody JOKING ME! IS that 172 Pound CHild benefit WEEKLY? :eek: is it WEEKKLY PER CHILD :eek: Subxanallah!! :eek: NOWONDER WHY PEOPLE SAY SOMALI MOTHER WITH CHILDREN ARE RICH! :eek:

INCOME:

SOME EVEN SAY THAT CHILDREN HAVE BECOME BUSINESS NOWADAYZ :D:D ah aha ha aha ahahhahahahhaha :D

The notion that Somali families lie about their marital status so they can receive more benefit than they are entitled to is a myth in my opinion. The real truth is that most of these families ARE single-parent families and even if the mother works five jobs they still wouldn't be able to make ends meet without some form of income support (the sort of jobs open to immigrant women are the lowest paying and most back-breaking).

As it stands, even if both parents work full-time (disregarding the difficulties of managing that with the number of young children usually involved) it would still be very difficult to manage with the type of low-quality jobs available to them (the rent and council tax alone would be killers). Considering the average Somali family size as well as the rife unemployment, discrimination, language barriers, lack of skills and a whole host of other socio-economic obstacles in play, I'm surprised that we don't hear of families actually dying of hunger while in receipt of "benefits".

Stinking rich benefit-cheats? Try the poorest and most under-privileged community in the United Kingdom.

-Lily-   

I think the 600 odd pounds or so is probably not an accurate estimation of a typical family's weekly income. If the father works he should declare it, it's a myth that they won't survive because you get child tax credit and subsidised housing rate. Either way, the family is richer if they declare their working status.

As for single families, it depends on case by case situation. The government calculates that money penny for penny; it's only certain ppl who believe it's free money to be spent as it pleases you. It costs a lot more than £50 or so per child to raise a child in London. Unfortunately, some sectors of our community believe raising children only entails sending them to school & feeding them.

On the other hand, I get so outraged when I see the 65 year old door man working 12 hour shift, or the father of 3 waking up at 4 am to do deliveries, a quarter of their income going to tax so that some lying Farax and his family can live comfortably elsewhere :mad: . Struggling as a family together is a small price to pay to get your dignity back & to show your children the ethics of hard work. No wonder there are so many unemployed young adults lining up for Social Services to continue to feed them.

p.s HIZB, I don't know what kind of research that wadaad has done but lying about your marital status and claiming benefits is most certainly haram. You have to have faith in what Allah provides for you, how else are the countless of families surviving otherwise? It's usually the religious families, who both work. Secondly, it IS possible to work as I stated above.

I do accept there are genuwine single-parent famlies but there is great difference between the actual figure and the figure that are claiming as a single-parent.

I do know the jobs avaialble to us Somalis are meagure and the income from it can hadly sustain a family, but we have a made a culture to depend on benefits without seeking ways to escape the cycle.

It would be a tragedy come 10 years and we still largely dependent on Government hand-outs and stuck in inner city slumps ... we should learn from past migrants, the Afro-carripeans and the Irish who made little progress. But somehow i think will go the way of Asians, small business magnates but still cunning the Gov.

I agree with both of you that it's better (ethical, dignified...etc) if both parents work, rather than relying solely on handouts. I was not encouraging a culture of long-term dependence within the community, I was just pointing out that the barriers in place are far more than the services and support available. It's not by accident that they are counted as a 'hard-to-reach' group.