Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Syria 2007

N.O.R.F   

A place with so much history in terms of Islam, Christianity and Judaism. From the ruins of the crusaders to the tombs of prophets. From the narrow streets with much light, character and friendliness to the farming heartland of the north west. From historical mosques and churches to a dish of the best shami delicacies and plenty of Humus and Olive Oil with each meal 8)

Enjoy

36408061689.jpg

Damascus

NGONGE   

^^ You missed the unique experience of watching a champion's league game in one of their cafe's, saaxib. Even the waiters get carried away with the emotions and refuse to serve you if you’re not a fan of their team. :D

ps

Did you happen to drive past cesh-el-warwar? You know, those houses carved in the middle of the mountain! It's a work of art I tell you, a work of art.

N.O.R.F   

^^LoL, thanks for keeping me up-to-date with the scores. We did enjoy a Darawish night at the local restaurant.

We went to many places including a tabacco farm :D (I thought of a certain Roma fan when I was there)

N.O.R.F   

Yeah. The whole works. Damashq - Allepo - Palmyra with all the sites in between then back to Damashq. Air Arabia with their 20 Dirham for a meal :D

N.O.R.F   

The Hotel in Damashq

36408061324.jpg

36408061460.jpg

Talisman

In the old city. A bunch of 200 year old Jewish homes baught by a Syrian (owner of the major mobile network) and turned into this :cool:

NGONGE   

^^ I saw it but my friends (in their infinite Somali hospitality) would not hear of me staying in a hotel whilst they were in town. I think they worried about what I'd get up to if left on my own.

Did you take a walk in the Christian neighbourhood and its very narrow alleyways? When I went there I accidentally walked into the middle of a scene from a well-known Syrian show (Bab El Xaara). The director was livid.

It's a beautiful country with very friendly people.

N.O.R.F   

^^Did they add you as an extra? :D

^^Very friendly indeed and very humble with a good outlook on life in general. My af carabi was practiced with some difficulty in understanding them (that accent is very odd) but I managed fine (surprisingly).

We stayed in the old jewish neighbourhood/christian areas (where the hotel is). Its amazing the spaces cars and vans can go through

NGONGE   

Heh. I know. When you try to stay out of the way of one of those vans as it races towards you, you really hav eto stick closly to the wall and hope the van's mirror does not catch you.

The Syrian accent is like Operah music. They never talk, they sing.

N.O.R.F   

^^LoL very true. It's like they are asking a question after every sentence which can be very confusing.

36408061583.jpg

Martyr's Square