Sign in to follow this  
Instinct.Poet

A.I.D.S Concerns in Africa.

Miz unique,

I don't think its people in the west that trasmit this disease...just look at Somalia's surrounding countries..if next door Kenya has a high HIV population..chances are Somalia will also be at risk. Also, Somalia is a worn-torn country...and healthcare is not up to par..

Besides, do Somalis even get tested back home? I havent heard of it personally..so there might be alot more people living wiht HIV than we currently know.

i was watching a special yesterday that kind of refute your data on morocco. im saying though, its not equivalent to south africa, but its a growing concern there everyday...and that lil map is from 1987. wait, no its not. :D

Originally posted by Khayr:

Salaamz,

I was watching the news clippings last night

about World Aids Day and some statistics

and it is seems minimal compared to other diseases

like Cancer, Heart Attacks, Diabetes etc.

Probably emphasis is laid more on AIDs cuz its mostly self-inflicted through promiscuousness, homosexuality, drug-addiction, carelessness etc. Also, cancer and diebetes are curable to the extent people can have normal lives.

At the rate AIDS is spreading around the world and specially Somalia, it can hardly be called minimal :eek:

Originally posted by somealien:

i was watching a special yesterday that kind of refute your data on morocco. im saying though, its not equivalent to south africa, but its a growing concern there everyday...
:D

Of course....those figures in my previous post are only a snapshot of the estimated HIV/AIDS prevalence in Muslim countries at the end of 2001. The figures are probably very different today >> who knows, 2 years in pandemic terms could mean numbers tripling or quadrupling...

Unfortunately, I wasnt able to find more recent continental figures for comparison...just a few here and there. I'll post (soon I'A) some more of the 2001 figures for sub-saharan and European countries for comparisons of the problem at that time.

PS: Interestingly enough there were no available statistics on most Arab countries (S-Arabia, Syria, Libya, UAE). I'm not sure why.

Tahliil   

Two years ago when I was in Addis Ababa, a young lady who I was acquainted with, through a friend here in the states, asked me if we could stop by at the house of one of her friends. When we got there, what I saw was unbelievable, tragic in the real sense of the word. There she was a young girl, barely 25 yrs of age, so skinny, and malnourished, and on the brink of death. I talked with her; she could still talk, and asked her if she saw a doctor and what he told her about her situation? She sighed and told me that she was dying of an unknown disease. I thought of a cancer first but later on, when I got to know her and became part of the people who was taking care of her, I started to take her to the Lab for blood analysis and so on; one of the lab technicians informed me that the young girl was dying of AIDS...what she already knew. And several days later Mulki, died because of HIV infection.

You can’t believe how she was transformed from a normal person to a walking, talking skeleton...She was an unfortunate young lady as I got to know her better but what she told me was so also alarming too. When our people find out, she said, that they r infected, most of them go back home with their families to be taken care of ...and then without the proper knowledge of how to handle someone with AIDS (protection mainly), out of ignorance basically, the disease spreads in the family and then into the larger community...and what could have been contained, gets out of hand due to lack of information and public awareness programs (as the situation is presently)

Anyhow, I am not really surprised by the statistics posted in here and I thin the stats represent a minuscule, a fraction of what the reality is on the ground. These numbers are the reflection of what is transpiring in the country as we sit her and watch and probably do nothing about an epidemic that seems to be taking over the rest of the people who survived from the civil…sorry I meant to say from the savage wars... Particularly in the big cities and the towns by the border areas with Kenya and Ethiopia are the places that have been hit hard by the disease