are Africans?Now damn, I mean that alot of

africans dying, of this desease, oddly enough

this desease wasn't known to african beyond the the

eighties, i mean,Come on now, this desease began in USA to Homosexual,

but doesn't strike you funny

that all deseases root from africa, all bad things are

born in the richland of Africa, Could it be true

That Africa is the mother of all deseases,

the only countinent with Billion langueges.

Didn't mean to spin off topic,but

Whats Going on?!!!!

Mowgli   

Asalaama Alaikum

AIDs is spreading fast walaahi, in fact last week there was an article about it in the Guardian where they said that nearly 40% of adults in Botswana are infected with HIV and in places like Zimbabwe its is preficted that one in five children will be orphaned in 2010, with 80% of them losing a parent or both to AIDS. AIDS is also on the rise in our homeland.

Well, no one as yet knows where exactly AIDS originated from, but it is thought to be from animals such as African monkeys and the disease then being transmitted via a bite or someone eating the meat and then spreading extremely fast within the gay community to begin with.

Anyways, I know it does not make much of a difference, but most people in Africa HIV 2, and most in these western countries have HIV 1. As far as I know, a person usually lives longer with HIV 2 before it eventually turns to full blown AIDS.

What is going on is that unlike the west, we don't have the resources they have avaliable to them back in Africa. We can't afford medicine, there aren't many doctors; and in the Somali situation they will deny that they have the disease saying it is a disease only for the "gays" and they continue living their own lives, until it is too late, and by that time infect other unsuspecting souls. A person can live with HIV, infact I have read somewhere of a lady living with HIV for more then 15 years (I think it was 19yrs, but it was a while ago and am not sure of the exact figure). Another problem Africa has is with its leaders, they are more worried about fighting within themselves then they are about the sick people and the orphaned kids, we can see this in our own homeland.

Anyways, thats my labo shilling for now...I'll wait for the rest of the nomads to join this discussion.

Ma'salaama

Idil you are exactly right. The problem of AIDS in Africa is increasing everyday and it is due to lack of education on the disease as well as lack of resources. Our country and others in Africa are in need of desperate help because AIDS is not going away anytime soon and we as Somalis need to help our people.

ZOLA   

Good afternoon all,

i was just watching the Oprah show ..and part of her show was about AIDS since today is WORLD AIDS DAY...just like u INS-POET i was surprised to hear that 71% of people infected with aids live in Africa...the show brought tears to my eyes...infact am still in tears...i wish we could all help in the fight againts this killer desease.

WWW.46664.COM

A.A

^ Sup girl! just watched the Oprah show too. It was quite moving!

There have been alot of conspiracies when it comes to the origins of AIDS, but you can't deny that 3rd world countries don't have the access to the medicine that controls the HIV from becoming full-fledged AIDS. This is the problem in Africa, India and all the other economically-deprived countries. I don't know why other muslim countries are not addressing this issue. We should be educating ourselves from this disease...because ANYONE can get it! muslim or not! and the sad part is that it does not limit itself to promiscuous people!

Ps:

My theory is that the republicans came up with the concept of AIDS to wipe off the homosexuals in the states after the sexual revolution in the 70s.

but then again, thats just my theory!

Mowgli   

Asalaama Alaikum

True Opinionated, 3rd world countries don't have the resources to slow down the onset of Aids, however, I guess it is in someway better that the majority of the victims in 3rd world countries have HIV 2...it is much slower the HIV 1 to turn into AIDS.

But after all, Allah swt said "for every disease there is a cure", so it is only a matter of time before a cure is found...let us hope it is very soon insha Allah

Ma'Salaama

Lefty   

Aids isn't originated from Homosexuality neither Africa or its people or anywhere else but United States of America. The fact of this disease, its background, who created, when and where, plus many more details were published one of the top Soviet Newspapers in 1980s. The issue of the origin of Aids is still controversy and that's how the U.S. government always want it to remain until such later time but the whole truth went out in the heat of the Cold War. This disease was created in a Military laboratary from one of the U.S. bioligical department during the early 1970s and the main goal of its creation was to reduce The population of Third World Countries but it has been gone beyond that. Whatever the case may be, lets be realistic and stop blaming the innocent continent of Africa, its people, and its green monkeys LOL.

P.S. The first case of AIDS was found in the U.S.

Gediid   

Well there's absolutely no point now in continuing to point fingers.Its reached epidemic proportions and saving one young life today makes all the difference.

Here's how World Aids Day was marked in parts of Somaliland....from the diary of an expatriate working in Hargeysa.... World AIDS in Hargeysa

Gediid, those are nice pics. I hope the best for my people. This AIDS thing is getting out of hand.

Look at this innocent young child's face. He is probably so scared of this AIDS talk that he looks confused.

stadium-7.jpg

Changed   

the saddest thing of all is: the tiltle says "aids dadka wa ku dici kara" is it me or does that mean our people need to learn alot about aids...war dadka intu ku daco oo kaw ka siyaa...and it is transmitable..Ya Rabi ..at times like this i wonder how mean the somalis that contracted HIV from the west and went back to somali were...walaahi why give it to another human being...xasiidnimo aa lafaha ka gashay :eek: :eek: the poor people dont know about aids , and these xasidin just pass it along ..problly to four women at atime ...this is just sad am getting shiver down my spine redface.gif :mad: :mad: :mad:

Khayr   

Salaamz,

I was watching the news clippings last night

about World Aids Day and some statistics

and it is seems minimal compared to other diseases

like Cancer, Heart Attacks, Diabetes etc.

If someone has or can find the statistics

for Aids compared to other diseases, can you please post it or a link to it.

It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

P.S. Do the Muslim Majority countries in Africa

have less of an Aids per population % then

other countries. I heard that Senegal was one of the lowest in Africa and its a 90% muslim population. This was according to the National news channel where I'm at.

egypt and morrocco are muslim countries too, and the cases are near epidemic status. really, personally i think tourism (for the 2 countries mentionned above) and lack of sanitized health care (hospitals wiht low supplies, and poor care ) are the reasons why its become so wide spread. war doesnt help either since it pretty much lowers not only the peoples economy but seeming order and sense of morality.i think people would liike to think that africas aids problems is because of there/our image as sexual animals, but in fact its africans conservative views on sex and sexuality that propells this disease since its so hard for people to admit theyve got the disease, let alone get tested. faith in god helps, abstinence too, but we also have to be compassionate to those afflicted, and not turn them away like lepers.

AIDS Statistics

Estimated Number of Adults and Children living with HIV/AIDS, end of 2001

These estimates include all people with HIV, whether or not they have developed symptoms of AIDS, alive at the end of 2001.

Jordan

Adults & Children: <1000

Adults: 1000

Women: 150

Children : N/A

Adult rate (%): <0.1

Libya

Adults & Children: 7,000

Adults: 7,000

Women: 1,100

Children : N/S

Adult rate (%): 0.2