Sign in to follow this  
Ismahaan

An appreciation of our traditions culture

NASSIR   

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiy aar:

quote:Originally posted by Ismahaan:

Qurxoonaa oo qaayo badanaa bilcaantaas. Dhaqankana kusii qurxoonaa waliba. Waa wada qani kuligood.

Alas, some are trying very hard to eradicate that beautiful hido iyo dhaqan of ours, particularly guntiinooyinka iyo gareysyada qurxoon in the name of dhaqamo kale.
Ma aragtey. In la soo wada xuley baad u maleysaa.

Ismahaan   

Originally posted by Paragon:

I know these folks lol. The presenter and th whole lot - west london my old base.
:)

Ooh really do you? I don,t know the whole lot but I know some of these folks. :) Are you trying to tell me that........

Ismahaan   

Originally posted by NASSIR:

Ismahaan is indeed amazing Xaawo Taako and Araweelo combined.

In North America, there are many charter schools founded by somali communities. Are there any Somali courses offered to the kids?

What about at the recommendation of making it compulsory for our kids to learn the reading and writing of Somali language and academic literature that would bolster the kids' understanding of the non-Somali approach of schooling. Some type of a great movement is needed to counter the decline of Somali literature.

Thanks bro but arawelo soo ma aha tii raga dili jirtey??I'm not quite brave enough to do that yet! :D

Ps; By the way great suggestions! Thank you!

Hassan_B   

Alhamdulillah, that Islam was the first religion to reach our shores. In all the lands that Islam spread, you can instantly tell that people accepted it willing as their cultures are intact, albeight, undergoing pruning unnecessary excesses here and there. That is why we still have our language and our traditions of food and dress.

Recently though many somalis felt that being an arab meant being more of a true muslim, while the muslims before us never thought this even though they're certainly more pious than ourselves. This because the prophet (pbuh) has said that the religion of islam will decrease more and more with the passage of time until the end.

Still, although the listed videos have elements of Somali culture, they also have significant elements of non-Islamic culture. For me Islam supercedes somali culture as I was born a somali and I had no choice in the matter, while being muslim is a choice even though in reality it is a gift from Allah.

Either the non-Islamic elements are from influence of western culture imposed on somalis during colonialism and afterwards or somali culture is very lax on religion. Really, I believe all the listed videos are haram for men to watch as they have dancing women and some of them have their awra showing. It is hard for me to believe that Muslim somalis would allow this kind of thing, lets say two hundred years ago. And I do suspect this is more of western influence. My mom tells me when she was growing up that the girls who went to school had to were clothes that were very revealing. She said that she had to wear shorts as uniform!

I'm all for retaining our culture, still, we don't have to accept everything that is handed down to us, and things that are haraam are definitely things that we should not accept. Perhaps, I'm extremely conservative.

osman_nz   

There is no such thing as one tradition and one culture...somalis are from different lineages and different part's of the world who came together and met in somalia. Each region has it's own unique flavor and tradition.

I don't subscribe to this 1 people, 1 culture, 1 language nonsense because it is totally false and misleading. We are not 1 ppl but completely different ppl...the usc ppl are natives of somalis and snm ppl are from oromo's...and north-easterners and the wider d-block confederacy ancestorally our patriach came from arabia..

So ismahan your post is misleading when u say "our traditions & culture" u should rephrase it to "your culture & tradtions" based on your clan heritage or region.

-Lily-   

I like the videos.

Ismahan, there is a lot of assumptions about loss of culture and mass hysteria which results from sensationalist allagations . No one is loosing anything. You just have to look at weddings, Shash sar, hidi iyo dhaqan, xeero, burambur, dhanto, and many other regional dances are well and alive.

Besides, you have to remember, out of 10 million in Somalia, only about 1 million live outside it. Somali culture is not in any danger of being lost.