Sign in to follow this  
cynical lady

Somali’s in the Army

I think it is something to be ashamed about especially in these times .. where innocent muslims are dying at the hands of American/

canadian/U.K/NATO forces.

I met one guy who returned from afghanistan ... and acted all proud like he deserved a pat on the back .. but most of the people were eyeing him like he was a cockroach.

ElPunto   

^Agreed. I wonder at the nonsensical cliches of pride, accomplishment and service bandied about. And it's not as if those folks had no choices - they chose to join an entity that wages war on Muslims. Though sometimes these 'kids' are hopelessly naive...

I was taking an Arabic class a few years ago and there was a semester end party - and then a 19 year kid revealed he was in the reserves and was looking forward to going to Afghanistan. Then I asked why he was taking an Arabic class - he thought they spoke Arabic there and didn't find out until halfway through that is was not the case.

My cousin joined the reserves and will likely be deployed.I don't know his motivation is. The kid already has collage degree and can pursue other venues.

Personally, I will never put on military gear to fight for a country (even it's Muslim) other than Somalia.

That said, I'm grateful for life, education and passport afforded by Yanks.

Haatu   

^ Adna ciyaal luubaani aas tahey. :D (what the hell does guuf mean? :D ). Waan ogahey inaan la isticmaalin falaar man. I'm actually good at shooting. I went with a couple of Somali bros to Wales just to go shooting :D

Haatu   

^ Heh. I was actually nicknamed fartoogte. It wasn't fox hunting, that's illegal now (such a shame). It was clay shooting.

D'you mean goof in english or what?

^Farmaa iska toogatey-you need another nickname. Clay shooting inaa Lilaahi. War anaa ku maqleey qofkale yuu maqlin.

I was actually thinking of buying a gun.

Geeljire inaa tahey taas lagu garanaa aanaa xamarna tagin. All Xamiris know goof. No, it's not an English word.

Haatu   

Che, because I live in the city, I can't buy a gun. This is the UK man. I have shot from a real gun before though. Besides, I'm a thorough bred geeljire from Garissa. I don't know where you get Xamari from.

Karl, yes it does interest me. ;)

Haatu   

Originally posted by Polanyi:

quote:Originally posted by Haatu:

I've always wanted to join the army. Plus, I'm really good at shooting so maybe...

MAybe, what?
:D
I hope you're not thinking Al Shabaab :D

^Thanks for Yank Constitution, you can buy enough guns to go to war with the government. I am thinking one of those colonies rednecks have out in Montana and Idaho.

Waa kuu duceenayaa inaad geeljirnimo ka kortid :D

Haatu   

^ Sxb, I will always love my camels where ever I go. It's in the blood man. :D What are you then, a farmer? :D

How I hate rednecks and conservatives.