Sign in to follow this  
Sky

Thieves steal $68 million in biggest Brazil bank heist

Sky   

Thieves steal $68 million in biggest Brazil bank heist

Bankkup_i_Brasilien_117893a.jpg

Thieves tunnelled into a bank in north-eastern Brazil this weekend and stole $68 million in the biggest bank heist in the nation's history.

The thieves broke into a branch of the central bank in the north-eastern state of Ceara over the weekend and removed 156 million reais or 68 million dollars.

The theft was not discovered until Monday morning because the bank was closed.

"It's something you see in the movies. They dug a 200-meter tunnel that goes underneath two city blocks. They've been digging for three months," one police investigator told reporters.

Police said it was the biggest known heist in Brazil and that between 6 and 10 people were suspected of doing the job.

The theft exceeds the amount stolen by Britain's "Great Train Robber" Ronnie Biggs, who fled to Brazil and lived in the country for many years.

Sky   

533425628kr.jpg

FORTALEZA, BRAZIL: A Brazilian Federal Police car remains parked in front of the house from where the Central Bank robbers dug their tunnel 08 August, 2005, in Fortaleza, northeastern Brazil. Thieves tunneled into a Brazilian Central Bank branch to steal 65 million dollars, officials said Monday. The country's biggest-ever bank heist was one of the largest in the world. They penetrated the bank over the weekend after digging an 80-meter (260-foot) tunnel, the bank said in a statement. The Brazil robbery is topped only by a 1987 robbery in Knightsbridge, central London, of 72 million dollars.

533425392ah.jpg

FORTALEZA, BRAZIL: A Brazilian Federal Police agent ® points at the entrance of the tunnel dug by the Central Bank robbers 08 August, 2005, in Fortaleza, northeastern Brazil.

533425304fz.jpg

FORTALEZA, BRAZIL: A Brazilian Federal Police agent ® and journalists look through the tunnel dug by the Central Bank robbers 08 August, 2005, in Fortaleza, northeastern Brazil.

Emperor   

My god, Clever and easily done without anyone knowing, Huge amount of money taken with no force used and no challenge at all, Soft target Or was it done by the staff of the bank, who knows....

Well, It's Brazil expect anything

Nevertheless, astonished I am.

Sky   

With such spectacular heists, you can't help but admire these crooks.

Like in movies, I have the peculiar habit to cheer for the bad guys. This one is no expection.

Foxy   

What Can I say, apart from I wish I was in thier shoes or may be a friend of the heist master minders....nevertheless Good On them........

cheers