Sign in to follow this  
Zafir

Posties have no business sorting the 'truth'

Zafir   

In Vancouver this week, postal workers wound up in a dispute with management over whether to deliver, in a random mailout, a charming little pamphlet called The Prophetic Word containing an equally charming article about gay folks called The Plague of this 21st Century: The Consequences of the sin of Homosexuality (AIDS).

The pamphlet says AIDS is "the plague of the 21st century" and calls homosexuality "ungodly, unhealthy and unnatural." Way to go with the alliteration.

The Canadian Press reports Ken Mooney, the Vancouver president of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers, said the union's constitution states carriers must take every step to "eliminate racism, discrimination and homo-phobia from our workplaces."

Hence the job action.

The pamphlet's author is Rev. Sterling Clark of Waterford, Ont. I used to work for a paper that covered Waterford.

It's not exactly a world-renowned centre for intellectual discourse, although I always enjoyed photographing the annual Pumpkin Festival which, aside from the odd spectacular car wreck or annual high school play, was the cultural event of the year.

The good reverend said the posties have no right to refuse to carry the pamph-let. "I have not been charged or broken any law. I just stated what I feel should be stated."

He likens AIDS to the Black Plague that killed millions in the 14th century.

Of course, the Black Plague was spread by rat-borne fleas that just bit you and killed you. My understanding, HIV generally results from people having sex because a nasty little bug from Africa jumped from animals to humans.

Sort of like bird flu and we're not damning Asian poultry farmers to the eternal fires of hell for getting sick, now are we?

There's lots of opinions with which I disagree.

Source

I think they should their job and deliver the dam thing. They have no right to pick and choose what can or can't be delivered. Anyone refusing should be suspended without pay.

Miriam1   

Really^

Um I don't they should deliver it. And they are right to refuse. What next. Some reverend stating that All Good Christians should wage 21st cursade on thier muslims neighbours? Reinforcing all those irrational fears?

You have to see the bigger picture brother.

Isn't this exactly why narrowminded muslims voted for Bush in 2000 and not Al Gore..cause the earlier was against Gay rights...huge mistake eh...

And narrowminded muslims in Toronto refuse to support Jack Layton. Thankgod we have the option of the Liberals someone in the middle (in some ways...)

The only junk mail I want to get is advertisments for condos I can't afford.

Dear I live in the state of Massachusetts, the only the state in the US the gays could get actually married, and I vote democrat. My concern with article wasn't so much about gays, Iam just more pissed the idea of censoring someone just because you don't agree with their political and religious views. The reverend merely stated his views on homosexuality, and in no way did his pamphlets promoted violence and discrimination against gays. The postal workers over stepped the boundaries by not serving a paying customer whose only fault was that the materials he was sending violated the constitution of the postal union. One needs to inform the postal employees that the union constitution is not the law of the land, and the reverend couldn't have violated it since he is not union member.

And if other customers don't like to recieve these pamphlets, they can simply request the post not to mail these pamphlets to their residences.

Ms DD   

"Iam just more pissed the idea of censoring someone just because you don't agree with their political and religious views"

People in authority have a responsibility to their people. There has got to be a limit somewhere. One can not distribute a leafelet encouraging peadophilia for instance. I wholly abhor the act of homosexuality but if the followers of that reverand decide to attack gays because of what he said, that would be terrible.

There has got to be a line to be drawn on what one can say in public.

^^^I understand the concern for public safety, but I think it would prove to be more dangerous if he was to silenced. Now he is just ranting i-diot, censorhsip might just turn him into a paraniod psychopat with grudge.

Khalaf   

Originally posted by Hayam:

You have to see the bigger picture brother.

Isn't this exactly why narrowminded muslims voted for Bush in 2000 and not Al Gore..cause the earlier was against Gay rights...huge mistake eh...

No fadlan sister you see the bigger picture. It is not a mistake, because the "narrowminded Muslims" believe in Allah Most High and that whatever happens is by the Will of Allah, regardless of how they voted it was the plan of Allah that Bush “won”

Originally posted by Hayam:

And narrowminded muslims in Toronto refuse to support Jack Layton. Thankgod we have the option of the Liberals someone in the middle (in some ways...)

Is this the Jack Layton you are talking about the “narrowminded Muslims” don’t want to support? And I quote part of his speech:

“Michael Lynch, a driving force behind this country's first AIDS organization, dedicated his life to making the lives of others more liveable. He was denied our blessing of his relationship. He never got to marry Bill, his partner of longstanding, because he died in 1991, 10 years before this country's first gay and lesbian marriages.

I was at those weddings. I was at the weddings of Anne and Elaine, and Kevin and Joe. They were held at the Metropolitan Community Church in my riding and were presided over by the incredible Reverend Brent Hawkes. Olivia and I attend midnight mass at the church every Christmas Eve. I urge people who believe that lesbian and gay relationships are somehow less deserving to go there and they will see love, community, faith, and extended families celebrating those core human desires with others irrespective of sexual orientation.

It is the same feeling that we have during gay pride celebrations, which are held now in communities of all sizes, from Iqaluit to Sudbury, from Halifax to Vancouver, in English and in French. I was at the first gay pride celebration more than 20 years ago, which in Canada was held in my riding. As at all cultural festivals, we celebrated our diversity and vigorously debated this basic Canadian value of equality.”

^^^Min fadlik my sister tell me if you do support him who is clearly against the Quran and Sunnah who is clearly supporting a great a great evil how you aint endorsing their values? :confused: If you don’t hate and denounce this sin and its advocators at least in your heart then doesn’t that make you as the ayat says: “certainly in that case you would be like them.”? May Allah Guide US....if some of us so called Muslims are voting for homosexual advocates!