Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

Blair and his new role in the middle east-Ironic?

Khayr   

Khaleej Times Online >> News >> MIDDLE EAST

Blair set to leave amid Mideast speculation

(AFP)

26 June 2007

LONDON -
British Prime Minister Tony Blair spent his last full day in office Tuesday facing growing speculation that he would be named as an international envoy to the Middle East.

Giving his final press conference a day before he hands over to finance minister Gordon Brown after 10 years in power, he did little to stem speculation that he could be named as envoy for the so-called Mideast quartet.

‘I think that anybody who cares about greater peace and stability in the world knows that a lasting and enduring resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian issue is essential,’ Blair told reporters.

‘And I will do whatever I can to help such a resolution come about,’ he added, after talks with California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, the last foreign politician to visit him before he stands down.

His comments came as envoys from the quartet -- the United States, the United Nations, the European Union and Russia -- met in Jerusalem to discuss the latest crisis there.

They made no statement after two hours of talks, but it was unclear if a statement could be made from elsewhere.

Blair’s official spokesman declined to comment on speculation about an announcement, but underlined the urgency of the situation in the region after the recent bloody factional fighting in the Palestinian territories.

‘Clearly recent events have given that situation added urgency,’ he said, adding of the Quartet meeting: ‘It’s good that they are meeting. In terms of what the outcome will be, that’s a matter for them.’

Schwarzenegger was keen to pay tribute to the outgoing British leader, backing him for the Middle East job -- but also suggesting he could be an envoy for the fight against climate change, one of Blair’s key priorities in office.

The ex-Hollywood actor said he was ‘very happy’ that envoys for the so-called Middle East Quartet countries meeting in Jerusalem Tuesday were discussing the proposal that Blair become their representative.

‘I think that he is without any doubt a great, great diplomat and is very very knowledgeable about this. And it will make me feel good if someone like that will be there and negotiate,’ he added.

‘But for a selfish reason I hope that he becomes an envoy for the environment and brings all the countries of the world together to join some kind of treaty -- a Kyoto kind of treaty -- that everyone can join and we can all together reduce greenhouse gases.

‘Maybe he can take on both of the challenges?’ he added.

Blair is leaving office after a decade marked in the early years by record popularity and enthusiasm after long years during which Britain was governed by Tories Margaret Thatcher and John Major.

Under the stewardship of Blair and Brown the British economy has enjoyed a record sustained boom.

But the 2003 Iraq war soured his image, and in recent years he has struggled with falling poll ratings and political infighting, culminating in a political coup last year which forced him to pledge to stand down early.

Brown, who allegedly orchestrated the coup to finally get his hands on the keys to 10 Downing Street, was finally crowned as Blair’s successor as leader of the ruling Labour party on Sunday.

On Wednesday Blair will leave Downing Street for the last time after making his final appearance at midday questions in parliament.

Following tradition, he will be driven to Buckingham Palace to formally tender his resignation to Queen Elizabeth II. Shortly afterwards Brown will also visit the queen to ask her if he can form a government.

On Tuesday Blair could not resist a joke about his imminent departure.

‘My press officer said to me, whatever else you do this morning, don’t say: ‘I’ll be back,’ he quipped, standing next to the Austrian-born star of the ‘Terminator’ films.

Source

Malika   

Blair...?!Again?? Hasn’t this guy done enough to screw up world affairs?

The whole thing was suggested by Condolence Rice and Bush plus the Israel Prime minister…....Typical lapdog!, How do these represent the Middle East??

Reminds me of some colleagues of mine, how they loved to be favourites…snakes!

Where is the dust bin of History?

^^Wasn't he begging Bush last summer in russia while the microphone was not switched off and alive, saying please send me to the middle east as an envoy, and Bush was saying:Yo Blair shut the fcuk up..... Useless little limey :D

Now get his job, and definitely he will be a good storyteller for a few arab dictators.