Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Somali cuisine

Chimera   

I was searching the web for Somali dishes and i came across an amazing site: Tammy's Somali Home

Really amazing sister that Tammy, i get nostalgic from seeing all of those dishes and sweets (especially the cakes) that mothers would bring to duqsi every weekend or to weddings etc

:D

Can you make canjeero, Daa'uud Waraaqloow? Or what about malawax?

She is a good for a non-Soomaali. Ninkeeda wax badan ayuu baray.

I have to say the way Soomaali bariis loo kariyo is one of the best, if not the best. Foreigners can attest to that, iyagaaba laga marin meel once they discover our version of bariis.

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by Adam-Zayla:

i get nostalgic from seeing all of those dishes and sweets (especially the cakes) that mothers would bring to duqsi every weekend or to weddings etc
:D

I'll bake a cake and have a piece on your behalf... smile.gif

Chimera   

No MMA my pancakes(canjeelo-type or the western type) always stick to the pan, i'm a pro at scrambled pancakes though lol

It's funny how lots of non-Somalis are discovering the delicious taste of the Rice + Banana combo!

KK make sure it's that spongecake one mmmm...

Haneefah   

^Not really Somali, but it's tasty.

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

I have to say the way Soomaali bariis loo kariyo is one of the best

I agree, except the iskudhexkaris some folks make. Bariis is the best when it's cooked fluffy by itself, unless it's biryani.

I don't think Somalis were ever creative in this area. Half the dishes the lady showcased have been adapted from other cultures - esp most of the desserts. Seriously, Somalis as Geeljires only knew how to cook/consume hilib and bariis (which I believe was later introduced by Indians) thus the only truly traditional cuisine we can claim. Of course all the pasta/seafood dishes were from the Italians. Yemeni/other Arab influence was also present.

For instance, banana was the most popular/abundant fruit among Somalis yet people were not versatile with its use - I wonder why we never had different banana dishes (ie dried in snacks, in desserts, etc)?

Salma   

Speaking of food, in Somali language, what would I reply to someone who has appreciated my cooking except for the word "Maahadsanid".

For instance, in Arabic the following can be said:

1. Hana o Caafiya (Enjoy your meal with pleasure & health)

2. Saxteen (Same above)

3. Yeslamo/ teslam (something like Leeban in somali) :D

4. Hanee2an Maree2an (where the number 2 can be pronounced like Hamza, which means Bon Appetite ;)

5. Belcafia

6. In Egyptian : Matra7 ma yesri yemri (no translation for this LOOL)

So, the answer in Somali would be....?

Chimera   

Haneefa sister which country/culture in the world has an exclusively native derived cuisine? From which people did the Italians get their pasta? exactly the Arabs!( or the Chinese if the Marco Polo tale is true) Who gave the French their French fries? -> The Dutch/Belgians etc