Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

Why are Somalis racist against a particular tribe?

Modesty   

Ok, I have found out this particular "M" tribe is hated b/c their great great great ancestor ate some type of animal that died on its on...hence he was dubbed Mr. "M" and that includes his offspring...which is why they are not liked to be associated with. I mean are they like HIV? It's really "jahilnimo" I think.

Originally posted by Modesty:

Ok, I have found out this particular "M" tribe is hated b/c their great great great ancestor ate some type of animal that died on its on...hence he was dubbed Mr. "M" and that includes his offspring...which is why they are not liked to be associated with. I mean are they like HIV? It's really "jahilnimo" I think.

I can sell and persuade more Disney fairy tales to children than this. Wax kale noo sheeg.

Cara...Maybe I was projecting my own views onto you :D . In any case, I hate to take normative stand when it comes to people's values,but in the case of Somalis' attitudes towards the Madhibaan, I have more of utilitarian view. The life of Madhibaan is more worthy than that of gun-wielding Mo-ryaan or J-iri atleast in terms of economics. The Madhibaan are usually craftsmen, skilled laborers, farmers, poets and educators. They do more to contribute to the Somali society.

Originally posted by -:

The life of Madhibaan is more worthy than that of gun-wielding Mo-ryaan or J-iri atleast in terms of economics. The Madhibaan are usually craftsmen, skilled laborers, farmers, poets and educators. They do more to contribute to the Somali society.

Problem is, Those very proffesions are considered by somalis as primitive.

I mean,You gotta give it up to Somalis,they've got to be the only community in the world,that denounces innovators,engineers and craftsmen. No wonder Somalis never innovated or improved any product. :mad:

-Lily-   

Somalis are prejudiced against a lot of clans, this particular tribe just seems to be one that they can admit to openly.

Faraax..I think that's changing a little. Those jobs once refused by folks from "noble" tribes are being sought mostly out of necessity.

Lily...The attitude towards this particular tribe can't really compared to the prejedices by one Somali clan towards another. Dominant Somali tribes might hate each other,but they view each other as equals.

Originally posted by -Lily-:

Somalis are prejudiced against a lot of clans, this particular tribe just seems to be one that they can admit to openly.

Exactly Liliyey, I said earlier,if it wasnt for the strength in numbers of other clans that list of hated clans will be much much bigger.

Che,true indeed

-Lily-   

Che, I can't explain it, all I know is that it's wrong, hopefully things will change.

FB, it's a nasty habit.

The idea of qabil superiority is still very much alive, many ppl are full of kibir, you see ppl from the same clan discriminating against another sub entity from the same clan as 'lesser' than they are, but I see what you mean.