Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Sex and Power

Should a good leader resign cuz of his sexual misconduct. Hopefully,Spitzer would survive this.

P.S. Never understood America's obsession with their leaders' extramarital activities.

Cara.   

Not only will he have to resign but he'll get prosecuted for breaking the law, no?

Personally I don't care what people do in the privacy of their homes (or the local brothel as it were), UNLESS they are hypocrites, condemning others for their own failings. Then throw the whole book at them, I say.

I hope Spitzer steps down gracefully. No Larry "Wide Stance" Craig defense please redface.gif

^That's harsh!. This was a harmless victimless crime that doesn't mount to him prosecuted or forced out of office,

P.S. The public didn't elect him to be good husband.

Cara.   

Che, you didn't read what I wrote, did you? Did I say anything about his infidelity?

1. He's not above the law just because he's a well-liked elected official. If it's a harmless crime then the law should be repealed, instead of being applied selectively.

2. Spitzer himself investigated and prosecuted "prostitution rings" while he was the state attorney general. I can't believe you think that kind of hypocrisy is acceptable.

P.S. I wonder why he was being wiretapped in the first place.

Pujah   

He is a hypocrite and deserves to have the whole book thrown at him. Wasn't he the one prosecuting brothels, taking holier than thou stances and promising change?

But I feel sorry for the woman standing next to him - Why are these women standing next to their stup!d husbands and allowing them to be humiliated when they're giving press release for their unethical behaviors. :mad:

Jacpher   

He played ethical governor but at least he wasn't caught in men's toilet. His political career is gone. He's gotta resign soon.

Naden   

An ambitious women will forgive an indiscretion or two. A book deal and a couple of TV appearences will solidify his wife as the victim-du-jour. In a few years, if she has the brains and some cojones, she might run for office and run after one of these rings.

How the public forgets little blue dresses!

-Lily-   

Che don't you think people who hold positions of responsibility should be people who keep their word and act on it? And more importantly practice what they preach?

I don't really know much about him but not only has he broken the law, he is also a promise breaker.

Puja, like Naden said, I think the wives are in it for a big payout.

peasant   

Bill never resigned after poking monica in the white house and why would anyone expect Spitzer to resign. Not to mention the practice of infidelity is a social norm in this country and the average joe never gets prosecuted for flimsy shitt like this. The idea of holding leaders an angel like position while society does what ever they want is a total hypocrisy it self. i am not in support of infidelity but fairness is very important and that everyone should held accountable not just leaders as they are nothing more than a human.

Pujah   

^^Sadly you and Naden are both right. It looks like there is something to gain from looking like a lame duck next to their cheating husband while the world watches and feels sorry for them. Funnily, I saw the former New Jersey governor turned gay's wife on CNN acting as an 'expert' on the Spitzer case. And we all know Mrs. Clinton wouldn't have had a chance in the senate had she left Clinton during the Lewinsky scandal.

Pujah   

. . .A wiretap allegedly recorded the setting up of a Washington, D.C., appointment between him and an Emperors Club "model." Spitzer may have made his name going after Wall Street gluttony, but he had a long history with criminal cases involving wiretaps, from his 1992 Gambino "mob tax" prosecution based on taped phone conversations to his 2004 calls for the FCC to let prosecutors tap internet phones and intercept text or picture messages on cell phones. Spitzer himself said that New York State does about 30% of the nation's wiretaps, and he helped make it a powerful weapon in the prosecutors' arsenal. If the charges are true, why would he think he was immune from such techniques? Another irony.

Will this be his last act in politics? There's no handbook for surviving sexual scandal. Bill Clinton did, while Republican Bob Livingston, on the cusp of being named House Speaker in 1998, did not. Two more survivors: Representative Barney Frank, who admitted to involvement with a male prostitute in 1989, and Sen. Larry Craig (who led a movement to censure Frank) is still limping on to the end of his term after being caught in a bathroom stall sting. . .

Time

LoooooooL@Cara..I was gonna sidestep from argument but you are right he is being hypocritical since his entire politics is supposedly based on ethics and reform. He did indeed broke the law, but I doubt he would face any charges since there is no precedence of officials being prosecuted for soliciting sex. It is usually the sex ring leaders that get the wrong end of the stick.And as for the wiretap, it wasn't him that was wiretapped,it was just those that were providing the service. He just happen to be one of the clients that called in.

Lilly..I expect holy men to keep the word, but not politicians.

Puja...It is humuliating for these women, but I guess these women understand thier husbands' power has derivatives, hence their tolerance for husbands' indescrations.