Sign in to follow this  
mojam

Somali Television Network (STN)

Qac Qaac   

Woow, this amazes me, a country surviving even with out government.

I guess Somalia is gonna lead the world, to show that they could do everything with government i guess looool.

Blessed   

They show some lovely Hassan Aden Samater videos - In concert. And some hilarious attempts at producing Music video clips…lol ya’ll need to see this.

It comes on at 4pm in the UK and you have to have the Moden (I thinks that’s how you spell it) satellite service…

They also go to the Universities and Hospitals in Somalia - which leaves me to question waxay dadkeeno ka qalaadaan (why do Somalis complain of poverty and ish). STN makes Somalia look like the place to be...

Jumatatu   

Yap you are right Amaanimeenah it is (STN) exactly doing that.And it is good when you look at it from that side, many News Networks, numerous Phone Companies, countless Schools, Universities, Hospitals etc. have been established. But sad truth is they are not cordinated neither is there a central rule that governs them. Hence vital society needs are commercial such as health and education. The 'have-nots' which supercedes the 'haves' are not enjoying this amenities. Furthermore you will see, which is odd infact, two schools in Somalia which are probably yards away from each other operating on different curriculum. The conflicting methodology of their end products I leave it to your imagination.

Having said that I acknowledge the efforts of STN and other private companies is good now and for the future. Cause the powers of authority and control on public utilities by 'the' emergence of any Reconciliatory Government will be diminished and limited.

NGONGE   

^^^Heh. Capitalism in its truest form there! No interference from government, private ownership of most economic resources and capital goods and the price is set by market forces! Competition is fierce and the haves rule the have-nots!

It’s quite funny that when the Americans (synonyms with capitalism) left after Operation Restore Hope, they didn’t realise that they’ve left the only country in the world that can truly claim to be a capitalist utopia. I suppose the owners of those business’s can now claim to be bourgeoisie. Heh.

I used to listen to STN Radio. They used to broadcast the news in Somali and Arabic. Good station.

mojam   

Amaanimeenah,

i think in earope you all have a different version of STN. Here they repeat the same thing over and over again (it's a trial so far). For the full service, we will have to subscribe to it.

They will need to be more professional to stay ALIVE when they do start it up. They will need to hire graphic designers, broadcasters, marketting people, commercial developers. they do not seem to have that kind of money though.

Jumatatu   

STN is not that developed yet and lacks so many essential features. And yes it cannot be said it meets all expectancy...but it is at an early age and am sure it will progress from there. One thing it is certainly not is funny shit . And it does not make one go nuts unless the person was already on the brink.