Sign in to follow this  
Didi Kong

The Politics of Representation at SOL

Contrary to popular believe Somalis are not a homogenous group that possess the same culture, language etc. why should a newbie like myself aspire to be a 'nomad' as apposed to ummm... let say a farmer? Are the SOL owners victims of distorted history or where some groups being deliberately ignored when camel milk threads was being set up? Shouldn't there be more democracy at (as one member here refered to as) the best online somali community????

You have got a valid point Didi Kong. Not all Somalis are or were nomads, there were also farmers and people who settled in communities and had shops, restraunts etc.

Although the vast majority of Somalis were in fact nomads, however there is also a signigicant group of "others", who are not nomads or attached to the "namadic way" of Life!

Nevertheless you raised a good point and I must add that "we" Somalis are in general a very discriminitative bunch of people, who do not acknowledge "others" so-called minority groups!

But keep on it maybe your quest for the "title" farmer to be recognised by the administrators and owners of this site together with the contributors support to get your Farmer title a equal status to that of a "nomad".

God help us all.

I couldn't think of anything at the time. But we could all be 'Somali'or a 'Somali Citizen'or something of that nature instead of 'nomad'in that way no one gets left out.

RedSea   

Originally posted by facklexm:

I’ve never been a nomad, but happy to be included in the nomad community.

Sure you have been a nomad, when you moved from back home to here. Or if you are born where you live now, you or your family, have probably moved around alot. That it self is being a nomad. You don't have to live in undeveloped country to be a nomad, you could be modern nomad such as most of Somalis living in the diapora.

Assalmu Calaykum.