Sign in to follow this  
Ashkiro

Information Needed: Please Help

Ashkiro   

Salams Everyone,

Doing research online and person to person, thus far I am getting conflicting information, what i would like is if you all could also help me as well...if you have any info in regards to sanitary pads in Somalia. What my plan is inshallah, was to make a deal with a major company such as Always, and have pads shipped to Somalia, I am guessing major cities do have these items, but don't believe rural areas offer girls/women pads. Any Info/tips, as well as the positives/negatives in regards to this case would be helpful. Many thanks.

^ I don't have a clue about that specifically but just wanted to say .. mashalaah to Ibtisam & Maryan Run and anyone who is tailoring their research to benefit people back home... it would have been much easier to focus on your local area much easier access to information etc. but that you chose not ,this is admirable !

Ashkiro   

Geeljire, mahadsanid ina adeer, I am a bit impatient when it comes to forums as i am used to dheeg dheeg answers, hopefully the other forums would be more informative and helpful. Maaliin wanaagsaan.

money   

I don't think the forums will help. You need to talk to health practitioners in Somalia.

I did one in school but on Japanese adult diapers and countenance business from marketing angle .

Kool_Kat   

Maryan Run, horta welcome to SOL and hope you're enjoying your time here so far... :D

Abaayo, while the idea of sanitary pads sounds wonderful, in reality, that is the last thing women in Somalia need...I mean, unless your idea of making a deal with such company as Always and shipping the pads is for charity reasons, you might as well think of sending contact lenses and solutions! Sorry, but that's how I see it...Dad aanan ogeen where their next meal is coming from or if ey gurigooda nabad kusii daganaan doonaan ama ka qixi doonaan, the last thing on their mind is sanitary pads...

From what I recall, back in the days, when Somalia was Somalia (growing up in the 80 in a household full of gabdho), those who were privileged only used feminine sanitary pads...Others just used a piece of cloth, where they used to wash it and re-use it...I can not image how they will be able to afford to buy 'suuf' in this age and time in Somalia!

Again if your aim is for charity purposes, it is an action worth persuing...

Good luck...

Maryam Run,

Why would you want to transport sanitary pads to Somalia from the west? Do you know what it takes to create sanitary pads? They can be produced for a 1/10th of the amount they cost in the west.

I actually have a business plan that covers a field study done by a friend of mine about what it would take to create a factory there. He gave it to me as a present.

If you’re thinking along similar lines, I’d be happy to give you some information and perhaps more!

NGONGE   

^^ Pardon me. :D

Just imagined a serene, homeless, young woman walking around one of those refugee camps with her head held up high and nose up in the air. The other scared starving women all watch her quietly and whisper amongst themselves: 'why is she walking so confidently and acting so proud? She must have some good news or she's probably foolish'.

The camera ZOOMS out quickly and rests on the girl's face. She slowly turns around to them and, with an ironic smile on her face she says: What are you women whispering about? Thanks to my Diaspora sisters, I now have reliable protection and discreet comfort.

Buuxo   
:D:D then again you just a 'man' that discreet comfort and protection you wouldnt understand. At least that girl can walk around :D .Walaahi caadi ma tihid Ngonge..i didn't want to say that or laugh at a situation like this.

Pujah   

Originally posted by Kool_Kat:

From what I recall, back in the days, when Somalia was Somalia (growing up in the 80 in a household full of gabdho), those who were privileged only used feminine sanitary pads...
Others just used a piece of cloth, where they used to wash it and re-use it...
I can not image how they will be able to afford to buy 'suuf' in this age and time in Somalia!

Are you serious wash and re-use eh! Really? :eek:

Ashkiro   

Its true Pujah, it was what motivated me in the first place after hearing what its like for our sisters back home.

Nogone why do i feel like you are mocking my idea with that story of yours?

Serenity- a factory is not in my agenda for this project, but i would be very greatful to gain insight on what it takes, sounds very resourceful!. Thank you.

Salams

Curly   

What about waste disposal,the materials used in sanitary pads aren't exactly biodegradable. Not that I'm sort of eco-warrior but it's more of a question of where will it all go, lord knows we already have enough hazardous landfill sites/dumping grounds in major cities. My concern is more about disease control.