Sign in to follow this  
Blessed

Somali Women - In The News Thread

Blessed   

Salaams,

I was going post this interesting article about the changing role of Somali women back home. Then I thought it would be nice to have a thread exclusively dedicated to news articles relating to Somali women. So sisters, read comment and share!

Article 1:

SOMALIA: Somaliland women take on new roles

^^ I think Somali women have always been the backbone of society- so it isn’t so much a new trend. It’s time society recognized the hard work of our women. Since our sisters have monopolized the markets of Hargaisa (and am sure Muqdishu and cities throughout the Somali lands). I say we set our sights higher… House of parliament anyone?

Hi Meenah,

Good idea.

My computer won't let me access the link for some reason, so am going to have to read the article when I get home tonight I'A.

House of Parliament, you say? I don't know, those places seem awfully hazardous these days. :D

Salma   

Kudos to these hardworking women, the golden bees of the country. Though I don't agree with those who r selling the Qaat. May Allah bless them and awake their Half-dead hopeless husbands who are chewing qaat like animals.

"Fozia Elmi had to begin selling fresh milk when her husband married a second wife. "He was jobless for a long time, but still married another woman, knowing that he was already unable to provide for me and our children," she told IRIN."

I wonder why a lady will marry a hopeless man who can't look after himself or his wife and children. And she knows well he will marry another lady after her.

I salute these women. Just reading this article just proves that khat is Haram and needs to be banned. These men are not meeting their Islamic duties they are completly pathetic. I could continue male bashing only i have heard enough to suggest that women are just as blameworthy (treatment of sons compared to daughters by mothers etc).

We need a new Arowello..

Rahima   

Mahadsanid Ameenah, once again a worthy thread smile.gif .

Once again we see the proof that the Somali women are indeed the backbone of our community. Our future lies in the efforts of the women, i say power to them and may Allah bless all the mothers,daughters, sisters, grandmothers, wives etc for their efforts.

Aamiin

Salma   

Originally posted by Nomadic_Princess:

We need a new Arowello..

We don't need any Arraweelo, we only need to strengthen our faith. And deeds not words.

Blessed   

^^Perhaps, we'll use her radical coup just to clear the imbeciles out of the Houses of Parliament, eh?

Kaftan aside, I think we can claim our stake in leadership without resorting radical measures. As tempting as it maybe, but who is to stop Aarweelo when she comes after your sons. icon_razz.gif

Anyway....

You ask, why some women go after useless married men. Simple, waa clueless. Honestly, Somali women are their own enemies 90% of the time.

Article 2:

Blunkett welcomes law to end female genital mutilation

I don't like the idea of involving the Social Services and getting children to spy on parents. These Brits do annoy me. It’s just going to marginalise an already marginalised community. Whatever happened to taking preventative measures ..eh?

Bess.   

We need a new Arowello..

I have never found the idea of castrating our men to be anything but highly offensive....we should pick up the slack ...if our husband, brothers, and fathers are not in a position to support us...don't y'all think that its time we supported them...without taking away their pride and humiliating them in the process....i have seen that some women are using this transitional period to take "revenge" on the men for them being "powerless" back at home....it seems some have taken the situation and run with in the process making a***'s of themselves....i think Somali women should be able to support their families and not expect to get "cookies" for the same thing men have been doing for centuries.... ;) ....we are capable don't y'all think so?...

lol   

^^^ Couldn't agree more... but our men don't appreciate us... when we suport them sista... they go around and marry another? When they supported us we didin't abandon them .. for another... we stayed with them, reared their children.......and served them...so why can't they do the same when we feed them?