Sign in to follow this  
AYOUB

Finding Peace

AYOUB   

The vast arid and serene landscape embraces us as we climb the proud rock mountain. The wind blows welcoming our every step; as if introducing every boulder and every piece of red and white stone that lead us to the corners of Las Geel, the place where pre-historic cave paintings of Somaliland was discovered

Las%20Geel.JPG

blue.JPG

We gazed at the peak of the hill, for a moment, we were puzzled by the blue spot on top. We still have a few minutes to continue but we couldn't help but ask ... What is it? Everyone was anxious to get to the top and view the vast semi-arid scene; it was a rare moment to share with special friends. Little that we know, the mysterious blue figure was not a a question of what, but who.

Hinda.JPG

She's Hinda, a child nomad sitting quietly enjoying the serene comfort of a windy afternoon. She has still eyes. Deep, reflective and distant. The presence of strangers in the midst of her comfort zone caught her by surprise. We tried to befriend her, offered food, engaged in a conversation and simply smiled, she was careful, silent and detached.

suad-hinda.jpg

Deep inside, I wished I could be like her even for a moment. No hassles, no pressure, no demands of the hectic busy life in the city where everything is measured and judged by how you talk, you do and wear. Where life is controlled by the latest technology. Where life is sometimes superficial and mundane, sometimes not.

There are times, when my soul wishes to be still. Moments when I long to reach deep inside to know my truth and find peace.

Posted by Yvette Lopez

I'm getting soft or was that a bit 'touchin'? :cool:

Pucca   

:mad: its freezing outside,i'm stressed with school, and there's a million and one things i must do this week...and you post this??

*turns green* oh i envy hinda...what i wouldn't do to switch places even for a few hours..

smile.gif Thanks for sharing!

Nephissa   

Being far out in the middle of nowhere, away from the city chaos and not having to live most of your live inside of four walls whether at home, or at work is so liberating. Gawd! I so wish to be Hinda right now.

hodman   

Just looking at the sawiro gives me a sense of peace.

I'm getting soft or was that a bit 'touchin'?

a case of both I'd say :D

Gimme a Break(!). Staring at a barren lifeless land..complete with dirty BROWN rocks with spots of 2 or 3 green thorny bushes far into the distance is NOT peace. Well at least in my opinion & experiences. I dont need a foreign tourist's 30 min fascination pause to give me his or her version of "peace".

I look into that harsh hot and haraad ful land and all i get are bad memories. Thirsty and gaunted skinny kinfolks is all i remember. The Hot sun i remember. Dusty sun burned faces is all that stuck to my memory.

In my opinion,lil HINDA is probably trapped in that vast land. No Play all work is probably her life cycle.Poor Hinda,while her agemates in the rest of the world are going to school,she is a nomad.

Me & you will probably say its a dream,becoz we know when the going gets tough,we will run back to out Air conditioned houses and have true peace. But for countless others,the life cycle is the same.[its even worse during this drought,refer to curling waterfall's topic].

Nephissa   

I look into that harsh hot and haraad ful land and all i get are bad memories. Thirsty and gaunted skinny kinfolks is all i remember. The Hot sun i remember. Dusty sun burned faces is all that stuck to my memory.

Booh-Hoo. Such is life! Some eat steak, while others are starving, uneducated and poor. Thanks Farax-Brown for bringing the mood back down to earth. :rolleyes:

Cara.   

Hinda will soon be given to a man twice her age for a few camels. She'll have many kids, only to see many die, thanks to malnutrition, disease and war. She will be an old woman by the time she reaches 40; lucky if she is not forced to seek food and shelter from a refugee camp.

This perception of the rural life as an idyllic existence free of the worries and stresses of big city living is a holdover from the era of colonialism. Those forced to make a living from the land hold few romantic illusions about the back-breaking labor and drudgery of their existence.