Sign in to follow this  
Legend of Zu

Strange Trends

Well…

The amazing thing about time is how it makes some thing (you thought was good or cool) look bad or even to certain extent embarrassing. While it allows you to be fond of memories; memories that you would cherish every seconds of those golden moments in your life, it makes you laugh at your self, with your self and on others without any intend of disrespect.

Where I am going with this? Well I went to see the first topics of this forum and I observed how so many of us matured under own eyes [within this forum] and never noticed consciously. I haven't told you where I am going with this yet so don't jump the gun. I ask for your patience and ask you not to expect any profound findings but it could amuse you just the way it did to me. The strange trend I have referred to in the title of this topic is Names, Yes, Names the trend that disappeared from this forum is the hip hop names, in the early days of this forum you could see how many of forumers named after dead rappers or have Thug/Gangsta or hip hop related particle in their names. That trend have disappeared or almost disappeared. Islamic names, creative or more sophisticated names have replaced them; individuality and uniqueness are well evident from this forum...and so on

Now what other strange trends have you noticed during your time with SOL family (actually community) is my question?

As Usual

Cheers

Nephissa   

^ What is with this trend to having a signature that says " previously/formerly known as hebla or hebel." It seems bizarre to me. Do they think it makes a difference if we know who it was that they were? I guess they just like seeing their old names in print, over and over again. Why change it the first place, if you love the darn name so much? Arrrrggg!

Tuujiweyne, ;)

And about the thrends of SOL.

Ever wonder why almost 700 unique IPs visit this site on the dreary days of online summer and more on the other months, yet few minuscule contribute.

It always was like that. Most are silent readers, who detest SOL and what it stands [some call it 'elitism'], yet take guilty pleasure reading what we write.

To those people, maxaa idin keenay meel aad necebtihiin? Mise everyday waa soo dhuntiin? :D

^^Adiga dadkii gudaha isla joogay inay is gardaraystaan waad diiday, kuwii banaanka kaa joogayna faduul ayaad kuwadaa..

Coming back to the topic, Noah mate nothing is changed for me, the same old mentality rules here. Some of the names you refer to still appears on the screen or they might stightly changed to a different more wierd unknown alien names... From a musician name to another Gaal philosopher's name or a comunist politician or even an artist, what is the difference anyway!

I see less sought from the more valued culture of ours, Such ....Tuke..... :D

Goodness people, let me have a cup of tea before aad igu bilowdaan.

Zu,

I don't know about trends but I always cringe at old posts of mine. I was a sap. A sugary sap. A diabetes warning. Sappiness aside, it's interesting to note just how much I have changed in the last 4 years.

Posting on SOL is like keeping a diary. :D

SOL has gone through a lot of trends. And by trends, I mean something that was fashionable at the time.

The 1st trend I noticed on SOL when I joined was how impossibly reasonable, polite, say-the-right-thing-even-if-you-would-never-take-ur-own-advice the posts were. Everywhere I read ideal answers written by Val, Blessed, Lady_Fatima, etc. I’m only picking on the girls because they were a 100 times worse than the guys in being mushy and half the posts would get a cringe-factor of 10 if they re-read themselves. Luckily, this went out of fashion and the girls learned that saying the right thing might get you a lot of fans, but not necessarily a unique personality.

Next was the era of all-you-can-write a.k.a the age-of-the-baros. The trend was to chat and write as many posts as you can in a day – no matter how trivial or unrelated to the topic at hand. I’m sure every1’s senses have been tattered by this unpleasant time in SOL history.

And then we had the mad-mullah, jump-you-down, holier-than-thous invading our private space and slinging unholy mud everywhere they went. One couldn’t even give out an opinion without fear of being out-casted by the self-appointed virtual-moral-police. (Don’t front, ya all remember it).

And finally, we have the age of individuality, maturity and writing like 35year olds (well, half the people are 35 and the other half like to pretend they r just as mature).

NGONGE   

^^^ You really are not all there, dear. :D

How could you write that after the exchange Val and myself just had (above)? :D:D

PS

I’ve finally matured into the chitchat stage of my SOL life. What was I thinking writing all those long pieces and getting all worked up, huh? redface.gif