Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Somalis fleeing from war end up as illegal residents - Dubai

N.O.R.F   

Somalis fleeing from war end up as illegal residents

By Diaa Hadid, Staff Reporter

Dubai: Hundreds of Somali children are not going to school, their parents work illegally and young men fret over the increasing price of bed space, but they stay in the UAE because they cannot go home.

Community members estimate there are about 50,000 Somalis in the UAE. Most live in Ajman and Ras Al Khaimah. Many fled from their country's prolonged civil war, which peaked in the 1990s, leaving one of the world's poorest countries without a government.

Mariam Sharif, a Somali businesswoman and social activist, said thousands of families came here years ago, and had not renewed their residency permits because they did not have jobs at the time and feared returning.

"They have become illegal residents and so they can't work legally because if they register with immigration, they'll be deported but there is no state to return to," Sharif said.

Somalis have asked immigration authorities provide an amnesty to renew expired residency visas, and legalise their status.

They say they will remain an impoverished underclass if they cannot rectify their status.

Lieutenant Colonel Rashid Al Jumeiri, a senior DRND official, said while there are no bans on Somalis entering the country, it could take longer for their visas to be processed because of concerns their passports may be forged.

He could not comment on an amnesty.

The illegal status of many Somali families has meant their children cannot go to school. Children are not allowed to attend school in the UAE if their parents do not have legal documents.

A Somali man, who has seven children said he tried to teach his children at home. "I don't have a residency visa, so my children don't go to school. I'm a teacher so this is very sad for me. When I'm at home I try teach the children but I don't have the materials a blackboard, text books."

He said he knew of dozens of families in the same situation. An official from the Ministry of Education earlier told Gulf News there were no plans to change government policy on the matter.

The Somali man said his own children often went to bed hungry, "they are used to it", because he earned about Dh1,000-Dh2,000 a month as a freelance middleman for Somali businessmen. Other Somalis said even compatriots on legal residency visas could not afford to send their children to school.

While this is the plight of many children from other countries as well, Somalis said their situation was unique because they could not return home and were not given special refugee status.

Mohammad Khudur, a senior official at Human Appeal International, said the community was a target group for the organisation.

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/06/03/11/10024587.html

True

Other Somalis said even compatriots on legal residency visas could not afford to send their children to school.

Even for the ones who work for MNC's.The place is like Europe without Welfare, expensive and just like a millionaire club house smile.gifsmile.gif In a desert.

Castro   

Originally posted by Northerner:

"They have become illegal residents and so they can't work legally because if they register with immigration, they'll be deported but there is no state to return to," Sharif said.

With brothers and friends like these, who needs enemies? To deport a Somali from any western country means they would have to be a violent criminal, caught red-handed lying to immigration or have abondonded their cases and later caught. Even then, they spend years in legal battles (while being able to work or study) and if that fails, they're rarely deported to Somalia but to a third, save haven, country.

But no, not our Arab friends. They're too busy sucking European and American as$ than to give amnesty to Somalis. From UAE, to Yemen to Saudi, you name it and they treat Somalis like dirt. Forget sharing Islam, to them, we don't even share humanity. Everytime I read about this I wonder what I will do or say to someone from there when I run into them. But then I remember the average A-rab is being stiffed by that same government.

From UAE, to Yemen to Saudi, you name it and they treat Somalis like dirt. Forget being sharing Islam, to them, we don't even share humanity. Everytime I read about this I wonder what I will do or say to someone from there when I run into them. But then I remember the average A-rab is being stiffed by that same government.

and they that to all kind of people except ofcourse the European

Naden   

Originally posted by The Flipmode:

We have realized many Morians have got their way to Dubai..No wonder
UAE has problem arresting them..

I'm not sure what a 'morian' is but I would remind all that God speaks of people seeking refuge from pain and dispossession in his book.

"And (it is) for the poor fugitives who have been driven out from their homes and their belongings, who seek bounty from Allah and help Allah and His messenger. They are the loyal." (Sura 59, Aya 8).

It's a sad state when people who are not Muslim open their doors for us while others turn them away to die in the sea or be desolate with no hope within their borders.

Here's a question: what is the Islamic Council that meets every several moons say about the movement of Muslim refugees? How do they deal with the humanistic and economic impact of so many dispossessed? Is there a policy (even a hopeful wish) amongst them to have a unified manner in which to extend a helping hand? Will there be a decision in our lifetimes to give these people amnesty in Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait, Egypt...etc. or will the dirty work be left to the infidel? Is there really anything other than the effect of video clips on people or what a woman wears that captures the minds of the ummah?

Castro   

Originally posted by naden:

Is there really anything other than the effect of video clips on people or what a woman wears that captures the minds of the ummah?

Many in the Ummah, including some of the refugees themselves, are morally bankrupt. The "infidels", in many of the areas of helping the poor and orphaned, embody the teachings of the Quran. The irony is truly incredible.

Originally posted by Castro:

quote:Originally posted by naden:

Is there really anything other than the effect of video clips on people or what a woman wears that captures the minds of the ummah?

Many in the Ummah, including some of the refugees themselves, are morally bankrupt. The "infidels", in many of the areas of helping the poor and orphaned, embody the teachings of the Quran. The irony is truly incredible.
Better also say, many of this "Infidels" also have interest in somalis.Taking you all the way, assimilating you, See how they wasted many of Islam's finest people into WEST and spoiling their religion, their children, and even indulging them in activities we consider anti -Islam, Like modelling and anti-islam dialogues in the hope of finishing ISLAM..

They have started making sure that many somalis are now christians.. Let them try their best.

In relation to the arabs who are more closer to us In religion and culture, These arabs treat everyone like that from time immemorial.