Sign in to follow this  
Buuxo

How-to-make the best QAD LOOX

Buuxo   

I asked this in troll, but i figured it deserves its own thread,in order to get thorough responses.

I dont have the answers but am interested in how to make Qad & loox. I have asked older siblings and they weren’t much help, as they always bullied others to get their Qad or paid one of the students to give them their Qad :mad: .

So SOLers do share , Isseh gave a good description in the Troll and lead me to think we really need a thread dedicated to art of Qad making. Maybe he can repost it here as we can all benefit.YOu never know, you might become stranded in xagar-waawaree and need a Loox to teach your children Quraanka :D .

Other questions ,did you guys make your own Loox or were they available for sale?

Are Somalis the only once that use the Loox to learn the Quran?

And those kusoo bartay Loox ,how was it ? better than pen and paper? did you retain more info using the Loox ?

From what I been told, apparently Somali children weren’t allowed to have kitaabs in dugsi’s and even at home and used the Loox to write their cashar for each day and they memorize it ,have it washed and green before dugsi next day. And this has allowed them to gain a good grasp of the hingaad, and more respect and appreciate for Kitaabka Quraanka.

When we were kids each one used to make his own loox ,, sometimes it was bought from the market where they were for sell.

About Khad, yes we used to make it from Dhuxul, little bit of Malmal and sometimes with Sugar.

Paragon   

Lol. Buuxo, alright. I'll copy my post from there to here and will try to add some more stuff. I think STOIC's reminder of batteries is note-worthy.

PS: Horta, if I may, why the interest in Loox and Qad-making? I am just curious, 'cos you don't usually get folks asking about these kind of things.

Gar-haye   

a truly genuine thread. i have used loox and qad when i was young to learn the quran. i alway made my own qad but loox was bout from the local market. it was very beneficial in that i had something of my own in young age to take care of and prepare everyday. plus it made the task of learning the recitations of the quran less burdensome as i had to learn couple of ayats a day.

Abtigiis   

War garhaye, Waylo-lagu xidh miyaad taqaanaa? Waadigii maalinkii i waydiiyayee? mawjadaa dhinac iga saarayd maalinkaas oo qof kalaan ku mooday. Iskuusaaatii Torobo.

Gar-haye   

qad is made up of charcole like jb said (it can also be made from the black material in batteries) and this is how i used to make it. you take a rock that has friction and rub against a charcol(dhuxul)while introducing small amount of water into it. adding sugar or malab to it makes it sparkle against the sun when it dries and adds to its homogeneousness. we also use to make a little han(pottery) from clay to put the qad in.

abtigiis wa salaman tahay. waylo-lugu xidh waa tuulo ku tasha xaga iyo somaligalbeed(******ia)oo u dhaxays nuusdareeq iyo dhagaxbuur. tan kenya mesha aad ka kentay baa fajiic ugu noqotay. i take my jeoqraphy serious. :cool:

Haneefah   

^I know. I have many close relatives residing in Weylo laguxidh but I wasn't aware that there was one in Kenya as well.

I don't recall ever using loox and khad in Xamar; but it's also utilized by many other Muslims in Africa (esp. rural areas) to teach the Qur'an/Arabic.

Buuxo   

^Haye Haneefah ,you never used the Loox? You elitist you icon_razz.gif

Thanks all.For your contributions.

Isseh,thanks much appreciated.I don't know really im one of the them weird folks i guess,who need to get the intricate details , so now i can go to somalia and re-live my missed childhood activities such as owing a loox,making Qad and eating Canjeero with Qad stained fingers :D

Buuxo, waxaa u baahantahay those following, in order to produce best qad:

Jiley [bahalka lagu xooqaayo dhuxusha; jiley wuxuu ahaa bahalka qaaliga ahaa guryaha sarta ahaana la saari jiray in Soomaaliya waaye]

Dhuxul

Biyo

Xabag [xabagta is not necessary, but wey adkeysaa, oo dhagdhag ka dhigtaa]

Looxana waa alwaax diirka laga fiiqay, oo la simay. Badanaa ciyaalka ma sameyn jirin, oo suuqa uu yaalay asagoo raqiis ah.

Saa sheegtayna waaye oo ciyaalka markee Quraan barad ahayeen kitaabyada ma u dhawaan jirin, oo looxa ku qori jireen and xafid, and at the end of day wey dhaqi jireen. Saas sameyn jireen until ka gaaraan meel dhexe Quraanka. Dugsi Quraan Soomaali rough ayuu ahaa, and I am glad masoo dhigan, oo aabaheena noo dhigi jiray anaga guriga dhexdiisa, albeith with qad and loox still.

Alif la kordhawee, alif la hoosdhaway, alif laa godan...Alif wax maleh [maaleh], ba hooskale, takarka labaale, takarka sadexaalee -- yaaba iloowi karo.

Buuxo   

^waad mahadsantahay.I remember going to dugsi and we were being taught that ,is it called An-alif. Waaba iloway the whole thing( lately my memory is so bad. i can't even remember what i had for breakfast.)

Kool_Kat   

The best qad was made with caano...Yes caano!!! Can't believe noone mentioned it...

QAD: Jilay, caano, xabag, iyo dhuxul

LOOX: Never seen anyone make it, it was always available at the dugsi.

I remember to maintain the loox in good condition, every so often markaa qada ka dhaqdid, soor aa la marin jiray...

Alla maxaa guriga uga soo dhuuntay 'hooyo qadaa soo riiqanaa', just so I can go and play gariir iyo halugeeti with ciyaalka xaafada... :D

Originally posted by Haneefah:

^I know. I have many close relatives residing in Weylo laguxidh but I wasn't aware that there was one in Kenya as well.

I don't recall ever using loox and khad in Xamar; but it's also utilized by many other Muslims in Africa (esp. rural areas) to teach the Qur'an/Arabic.

Weylo lugu xidh kutaalo keenya,waa laguu yaqaana. Waxee ku taala,bordherka Qansax dheere iyo qulcaley iyo qalawiley inta udhaxeyso. Ilaahey kuma geeyo cadeey. :D

Ps(Never heard of Weylo luguxidh,let alone the bordering towns,although the names are real) smile.gifsmile.gif

Buuxdo,Qad iyo loox? Haye,are you being returned back to one of those dodgy somali tulos your ancestors came from?(obviously for being naughty?). Warka nasii. smile.gif

Seriously,i cant help you. I never made qad, i was too cool to make mess my fingers. OK,maybe i sucked at making it & a bully that made others make my qad?.

Buuxo   

^YOu such LOOX :D .

KK,Maxaad tiri Looxa Soor aad marin jirteen, what's the benefit? Ok i will try the caano too,when i get the time. I have most of the items to make the qad, except malmal,but i will add sugar/honey .I will tell you how it turns out.

LOol@hooyo qada baan soo riiqana:D , nice excuse.

BRAwn ,how can you call my tuulo dodgy? :mad: