Sign in to follow this  
Born Friday

Candid Snapshots!

I have been wondering this for a while...

I have noticed people have taken photos of their trips to back home and placec they have been to and shared them with us on SOL "which is fantastic". Apparently, if they are candid photos the person propably wasn't aware they were having their photo taken and if they were, they propably didnt mind.

So my question is, is it right to publish these images on a medium like the internet without their consent?

While privacy is a subjective thing, one never knows how someone feels about their photo being taken or being displayed until you ask them. To not ask them is to ignore their right to say 'no'. The fact that candour and spontaneity are usually lost and that too often, people who are asked before or after you take the photographs say 'no', whether reasonable or not, is just too bad - the photographer has an obligation to discover the subject's position towards their photo being taken and to respect their wishes.

What about pictures that include children? Do you think its morally and ethically wrong/right to display pictures of children without the consent of the parents?

I just want to say im not critisising anyone in particular, i have enjoyed those pictures great deal. I imagine it must have been educational to some people who have never been to these places "especially Somalia" to get an idea. And to others it has been nostalgic experience im sure. And if that has been the intended purpose, does the end justify the means?

When taking a pictures of strangers "as you do" smile.gif do you think of all these things and where do you stand on these issues?

Khayr   

We are not running an ad campaign for direct monetary benefits.

Too much litigation talk....breath eazzzy

Cheer up mate and don't stress yourself out too much. :D

hodman   

I think it is a valid point and it's a question I've often asked myself. I wouldn't be comfortable having my pic or that of a family member on the web for all to see as they please. I think it is the right thing to do to tell them that there pictures will be accessible to millions on the web and if they cool woth that then it's ok and we do enjoy seeing pictures from back home.

Tahliil   

Good point bro: always ignored and trumbled golden rule says "do unto others as you would have others do unto you." Treatment of others should only be proportionate to the ways that you're willing to be treated in the same exact situation. I don't think that I'd want someone else publishing my photos in here or elsewhere without giving me a fair warning first or a fair shake of the loot...

We are not running an ad campaign for direct monetary benefits.

Now, how does that relate to anything i have talked about?! "Direct monetary benefits" what does that even mean?!!

Khayr im not talking about the law here, cause last i checked there is nothing unlawful about taking someones picture as long as they are decent, but what is legal might not be moral some times.

Cheer up mate and don't stress yourself out too much.

Could you be more patronising?

Tahliil and hodman, i agree. Given the choice not many would choose their photos to be viewed by hundreds everyday. But then again, a photographer might not always know the significance of a photo when he/she takes it.

Som@li   

Thre is no privacy on Photos taken on public, the person was already seen by many on the streets, and internet is greater domain of public.