Sign in to follow this  
Miriam1

Share Ur Experiences, with Racist Profs, Co-Workers, Bosses..etc etc

Miriam1   

Hello Folks,

Most times SOL can be an invaluable resource for learning about people's experiences on certain matters and drawing important lessons from them.

Guys, I am preparing for battle this coming thursday at 5:OO Toronto Timing. With a prof whom I have come to find out recently is racist and hence my dismal B average in the class while other Latin American peers are getting A+

I wish I knew about him before risking my overall average, but there is literally only 10 black people in my major and in my current year...I am always the only black person or only black girl, which can be bad or good..given the prof...

What are your experiences...how have you dealt with a racist person who has the upperhand? Were you succesful or unsucessful

Share the knowledge guys!

Miriam1   

Its economics but written economics dealing with issues with the IMF and sort and also environmental economics. The funny thing is we had several assignments in which I always got a A+ average.

Therefore the only way I could have lost marks was if I was horrid in terms of particpation and attendance...I was there everyday and spoke almost everyday...

Hayam....Caadi kuu dhacayaa, confront him. Luckly, I never had a racist teacher, but co-workers yes. The best to deal with them atleast in my case is to show that you are not afraid, and that you understand and know your rights.And also make sure that you fullfill your job's requiremnts.

Racists thrive on three things,

Fear

Lack of Aweraness as it relates to your rights

Lack of knowledge regarding the task at hand.

Obviously, you do your schoool work well, know your rights as student, and hopefully not feeling intimidated by him. So gave after him.

Miriam1   

Sheikh, I didn't pay for my schooling or this class in particular to give flowers to profs..

Che you're right.

He hopes for students not to know thier rights and feel intimadated by him, as I have heard from other freinds, he tends to claim that you are not attending the class and cuts marks from that, and when they confront him about it, he refuses to show them the sign in sheets claiming he is far to busy to go through all that paper work.

I fear that is what he will say, and my only option would be to file a complaint with the program director and move on from there.

I am little glad that the program director knows me personally and has taught me before.

Hayam if he/she 'expires' you could send him/her some flowers with a note in it saying 'Thank you Mr/Mrs Brown you gave me an B grade but I was looking for an A+, I hope as you're dead now you're going to 'burn' in hell eternally!

Miriam1   

^ lol Maskin, I live by that site, you know what I was abit blinded by glamour this once and the students on that commented might aswell been. He's a bit popular here in Canada, having appeared couple of times on CBC and TVO..should stick to unknown profs..,

Miriam1   

lol, yea thats what where I go. Actually it was a muslim prof from Iran that inspired me to take Economics, always respect him for that one.