Sign in to follow this  
Jaabir

Bananas may be on the road to extinction

Jaabir   

i cant imagin life without bananas :(

read this...

Bananas may be on the road to extinction

The banana could be on the verge of extinction, claims new research.

Scientists believe the world's most popular fruit could disappear within 10 years, unless it is rescued by biotechnology.

Since edible bananas are sterile mutants, new varieties cannot easily be produced by natural methods.

This leaves the banana open to attack by pests and diseases at plantations and farms in central America, Africa and Asia.

In the 1950s the Gros Michel banana was wiped out by Panama disease, caused by a soil fungus.

Its successor, the Cavendish, is now threatened by a global epidemic of another fungal disease, black Sigatoka.

With nothing readily available to replace the Cavendish, the banana industry has reached crisis point. According to a report in New Scientist magazine today, it could be gone in 10 years.

"In some ways, the banana today resembles the potato before blight brought famine to Ireland a century and a half ago," said the magazine.

The wild banana, a giant jungle fruit called Musa acuminata, contains a mass of hard seeds that make it virtually inedible.

Edible bananas are rare in the wild and have no seeds and are sterile.

Dhimbil   

Originally posted by Bee:

Bananas? Extinct? But what will become of Somalis? :eek:

^That's what I'm saying, also isn't this our biggest export or something?

this sounds like another Big Corp., talking head idea! pushing 4 another bio-gentic changed form of a plant! yo! stop buying food from big chain grocery stories cuz 2/3 of the food u buy there is gentically altered. FDA has approved this due..

u know what! go organic... here in la, i pay my stuff from Trader's joe or farmers market where u get organic food including bannanas! aint no planets going extinct since its grown basically in every content!! if u dont miss with a planet, they so smart, they make to weapon to fight with every disease! u see a planet is unique! it dont get no inter-mix from any sort of other living organsim, except insecks, unlike humans! so they adapt every well!

nafta   

bariis with banana's, maraq with banana's, basto with banana's....this can't be happening...with what am i to eat my food with then...

wanna bet that half of somali population will go extinc as well because of the lack of banana's...i say we start a mass rally :(

Curly   

lol...my mum will be devestated, what will we eat with the barris?

anyways if all the naturally grown bananas get wiped out we'll have to settle with eating Genetically modified ones that will probably be straight for storage reasons and have all sorts of different animal genes in it.

BTW does that mean bananas will be haram then? :confused:

Xafsa   

talking head idea! pushing 4 another bio-gentic changed form of a plant!

Its just an excuse to start killing people by genetically and chemically altering their foods. They are setting us up to be experimented on.

hukri   

My dad eats everything and then I mean everything with bananas!!....He'll be twice as devistated as PsYcHo_SuE's mum!

Personally I don't even like bananas so it won't really do me any harm :rolleyes:

UH-HA! THERE'S SOMETHING WICKED AT WORK! OUT THERE EXTERMINATING BANANA! I SUSPECT IT'S A CLANDESTINE OPERATION BY THE CIA AIMED TO DEMOROLIZE BANANA-EATERS-THAT'S US SOMALIS LOL! :D

Lefty   

One of the idiotic mentalities which dominates Somalis is eating banana with every other foods. For god's sake, Banana is just a fruit and They shouldn't be abused that much unless Somalis somehow relate to the monkeys LOL.

The other day I went to Somali Restaurant and the ***** waitress brought banana first before everything else. That's how far they're going with it.

Nazra   

lolz@Lefty

:rolleyes: @ Darman

U never seem to amaze me.

While you are concern about banana's i'm concern about you...

First its "what's in ur wallet"...what were wallets desinged for?

When you see no banana's in the super market please inform us...in the mean time show ur concern perhaps....to the enviroment. :D