Sign in to follow this  
Archdemos

Somali Airlines- Mystery 747

Greetings my fellow Somalis.

Last night i discovered Somali Airlines operated or owned at one point a Boeing 747-400, i found a picture at this source:

http://www.jaallesiyaad.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=130:somali-airlines&catid=3 7:sawirro&Itemid=58

click on second row, second picture.

However my father is adamant Somali Airlines never operated such a behemoth of a plane. He even phoned former Somali airlines employees to prove his point.

I consider myself somewhat of an expert on Planes and their variations; however i cannot find any information anywhere to back up this photo.

All i know is the photo is definitely real, just look at the attention to detail, simply can’t be faked.

The consensus out there is that the White Star Service never operated a 747 let alone a 400 series, which was first introduced in 1989.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Somali Airlines Mystery 747

nuune   

It is not a mystery, Somali Airlines leased Beoing 747 versions, but never went into service as its timings were too close to the collapse of the state.

Plus, that plane is not 400 series, it is rather 300 series which came to being in 1980.

Even if it were the 400 series, as you mentioned, it went into service in 1989, and there is no doubt the White Star Service probably leased one or two of this 400 series aircrafts of the Boeing family, but all informations were lost due to the collapse of the state.

Comparison between 400 series and 300 series of Boeings.

14099.jpg

United Airlines 747-400

12706.jpg

Qantas 747-300

somaairlines.gif

Somali Airlines 747-300

The problem is, all informations regarding Somali Airlines were looted, destroyed during the civil war, and that is the sad part.

thanks man, that clears up allot.

the aircraft depicted is most definitely a 400 series because it was the 400 series that first introduced blended winglets. therefore it can't be the ealry 300.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

sad to see that they never went into service. Hope it returns one day, would be nice to fly non-stop back home for once.