Sign in to follow this  
Elysian

A lesson by a japanese

Yes, we have internal negative issues that have nothing to do with Islam(i.e Islam is not the cause) that are not dealt with effectively by Muslim organisations. Sometimes, I get the impression that they'd rather leave it alone than get heavily involved.

I personally do not care what a non-Muslim thinks of me but when asked about Islam I feel an obligation to tell it like I know it. Depending on the asker, the conversation can either be illuminating to them or have had no effect at all. Their opinion is their's to have and change at their will. However, each situation has to be dealt with individually. I might be questioned by someone who's clearly only interested in being critical but may have an audience of those clearly listening and genuinely interested. To abandon the conversation completely does not do Islam complete justice. If I can not find a way to steer the conversation to Islam's advantage(as a result of my ineptitude), I abandon it but if I find myself making decent sense, I continue but keep it brief.

We are each of us representatives of Islam and can not depend soley on organised institutions. The Muslim man/woman on the street suffers most as a result of the media's message and the world powers' condemnation and so we should never take our individual role lightly or ignore it entirely.